Another question for Lutz

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz

What about this for towing a caravan (I haven't got details of the exact model, I've asked her to let me know exactly which model it is):

Renault Scenic 1.6 RT 99 reg (T)

Is there any chance you could find the kerbweight and 85% guideline on the information above?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The kerbweight of a '99 Scenic is in the region of about 1300kg. It's difficult to say exactly without having the spec but, for all intents and purposes, 1300kg should be close enough. 85% of that is 1100kg and the towing limit is, as far as I have been able to establish, 1300kg.

But beware with Renaults. They also specify a gross train weight which is less than the sum of the maximum weight of the car and the weight of the trailer so you may find that if you load the car right up to its limit, you won't have enough left for towing.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz for the information, I really appreciate it. I will pass this on.

Is the gross train weight the weight of the car and the trailer combined?

Regards

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz.

The person who is selling the Scenic apparently tows a caravan of 1300kg, so I have suggested to the girl who I am making these enquiries for, that her and her husband ask the seller if he will take them out for a short drive (hopefully up an incline) with his caravan attached to demonstrate the cars ability as a tow car.

Many thanks again Lutz.

Lisa

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

I would be suspicious of a 1.6 Scenic's ability to tow a caravan of 1300kg - we had a 1.4 16v Scenic (03 reg) which struggled a bit with our 850kg Eriba.

it may tow his empty caravan with no luggage and only him driving, but I would suspect it would struggle with all but the smallest of caravans.

just my experience. Mark (",)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mark

I have given them my opinion which is wait until you can get a suitable tow car and get it correct from the start rather than buy something which is not up to the job. They seem happy to believe what the seller of the Scenic said. So it's up to them, personally I wouldn't buy anything less than a 2 litre myself.

My first tow vehicle was a 1.8 petrol, towing 1000kg and it was terrible, struggled up the slightest of inclines. I part exchanged it after a couple of months towing.

Regards

Lisa

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd be concerned about a 1.6 towing 1300kg but to suggest a 2.0 minimum is a bit extreme.

I tow 1200kg with a 1.8 Astra auto - it copes on cruise control with all motorway gradients. We do get slowed southbound on the A9 up Slochd, but so do almost everyone else!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

It's just that after the experiences I had with my 1.8 I've learnt by it.

A friend of mine has a 1.8 Mondeo, (older diesel model) and he tows a Hymer with it. So I suppose it does depend on the actual car.

I'm very happy with my current car (2L) and wouldn't swap it.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts