Another Scam Warning

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
For your information

Dear All,

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number. End this call immediately without pressing any numbers. There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM"

card and make calls at your expense. Forward this message to as many colleagues, relatives and friends as you can, to stop it.

Many thanks for your time regarding this matter, take care and regards.

Phil Corris

Police Constable/Crime Prevention Officer Ext 496696 (Internal)

01524 596696 (External)

Email Phil.Corris@lancashire.pnn.police.uk

mailto:phil.Corris@lancashire.pnn.police.uk

Mark (",)

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
This is a well known chain letter thats been going the rounds for at least three years both in the USA and UK.

Basically its complete rubbish so don't pass it on!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Now what does it cost you to pass it on ??? 20/30 seconds. It may be right it may be wrong, but what have you to lose.Just tell a friend to watch out.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are so many of these going around, and they grow exponentially as people forward them to all their contacts. If you google keywords you will find a variety of sites which explain that most of these warnings are hoaxes. There is a little bit of truth in the 90# warning, but only for certain telephone systems in the USA. Look here http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa021898.htm

Here's another one targetted at women. It goes something like this: "I was about to get into my car when a man asked if I could give him a lift to the station as his car had broken down. Really nice guy etc etc. I dropped him off, then went home. I later found that he had left his briefcase in my car. I opened it and found duct tape, a balaclava, handcuffs, etc etc. Send this to everyone you know so it doesn't happen to them."

Blah blah blah. What a waste of time.

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
Why do you want to pass a chain letter on to your friends and aquaintances?

It's a chain letter for petes sake!

Why would anyone want to look foolish and gullable passing on pure drivel.

The content of the email is NOT true! Read my lips -NOT TRUE!

This type of thing could only happen with a company PBX switchboard years ago not with UK mobile phones now.

It did not come from the Lancashire police ,ring them if you like.

"What have you got to lose"

Credibility perhaps?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Josef,

Please calm down, before you give yourself a heart attack or something. NOW read my post again. I never said to e-mail it on All I said was tell a friend it costs you nothing. You are reading into these things what you want to read.

I don't care if there is 10,000 scams going around the world as long as I know about the one that comes through and is Genuine.

Frank

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I really do not think phill would risk his credibility as a police officer if the threat was not in the least bit real, we had a warning about this scam last year from my employer who posted the warning to everybody who was employed by them and posted the threat on all mess room walls. when you consider that i work for a global company with tens of thousands of empoyees then i think the warning must carry some threat. ignore it if you want to be daft enough but remember it if you want to protect yourself if you happen to get a call.

As Frank says it costs nothing to send a mail or speak to someone. Hope you don't work for the traffic department at lancashire police brave - fart they have a fearsome reputation with white van man (i used to be one)the officers seem to spend all day hiding behind trees with radar guns. lol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that the PC in question has been inundated with calls about this, and I guess that his name has been used by others rather than put forward himself. That's if he even exists. This is 90% hoax, and little more than a chain e-mail.

Think about it - everyone sends out a warning, but you never hear of someone who has been stung by it.

Oct 24, 2006
Visit site
Phil Corris is a real PC and Crime Prevention Officer based at Lancaster Police station.

I even found his phone number within 2 seconds.

I suppose the hoaxer did the same, after all adding a policeman's name at the end might give it a little bit more credibility.

I spoke to a friend of mine today, a telecom engineer who works for Vodaphone. He had never heard of any device that could access your sim card in the manner described in the hoax letter.

People who pass on such rubbish and actually believe these things are gullable to the point of stupidity. They are the type who fall victim to any scam artist on the internet.

By the way Icemaker' I'm a Nigerian and I have

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Josef

If you were so convinced that this is rubbish why have you spent sooooo much of your time looking into it?

I passed this on in good faith as it came from a reliable source, so am perfectly content with myself. If you dont believe it, ignore it.

it is only YOU who is "losing credibility" or "being gullible" by continuing to go on about it - get a life.

Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The worlds full of people passing this crap onto other people.

It always comes from "a reliable source",it's always passed on "in good faith" and as Vernon said ,it just clogs up peoples emails.

Why you,Brave - Fart should tell Josef to get a life is difficult to understand.

After all, you posted this pile of lies on the forum.

You could have done what Josef did,what Mike P did and what I did.

Check! 10 seconds on google and you can see that its 100% pure tosh!

You've just made yourself look silly and then you tell others to get a life!

Well......

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Cliff, Vernon, Josef, et-al,

this is becoming very boring!! I didn't e-mail you anything, I posted in a public forum. HOWEVER, as you advise I have done some research - and can still not discount this as lies!

the following website on "urban legends" still does not discount the possibility:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp
and ends with the warning:

"The moral of this story is, to paraphrase Josef Stalin, "Trust no one, not even yourself." If a caller is unknown to you and his story sounds fishy, hang up."

so where is the harm in what I have done?? even if it makes people more aware of ANY kind of phone scam surely that is good.

and no-one seems to have taken MikeS to task for his scam warning previously in this topic, which I also got from exactly the same source.

I certainly have not made myself "look silly" as Cliff seems to think, but that is it!! I am posting no more on this matter as it now tedious.

final word to the Moderator: if you feel this is a hoax please feel free to delete the thread!!!

Mark (",)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts