Another Tent upgrader joins the fold

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Having been a 'tenter' for a number of years, my wife and I find ourselves in the fortunate position of being given a caravan by my parents who have decided they are too old for the touring game now. (at 65, i dont believe them but my dad says the van is just too heavy for him to set up and my mum wont let him have a mover!)

Its not a glamourus van, a 1991 swift Rapide 450 5 berth which my dad bought in a rushd haste without checking it over properly a few years ago. As such it came with damp around the front window and a few other oodd jobs to sort. He spent a good few weeks sorting the damp and being a decorator he managd to do a go job of making it look like it should once he'd finished.

Theres also a spot on the floor near the sink that feels spongy to walk on but i think i can fix that with some insulation in a can.

We have a 06, volvo S40 2.0D (94K high miles) and having checked the weights we are about 83% on a fully max tow weight.

Living in Northumberland we are ideally placed for some good sites around the coast, near castles or into the hills and dont plan to go far this year.

We get the caravan in two weeks, now ive just sorted a tow bar and some storage. The only other problems are;

1)ive never even hitched up a trailer, never mind towed a caravan and

2) we have our 2nd child (in addition to a 5yr old lad) due in two weeks.

so, is it advisable to practise towing before setting out? I dont even know how to hitch the thing up!

and any advice for touring with a brand new baby?

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew and welcome.

Presumably your Dad could show you how to hitch up, and possibly go with you in passenger seat whilst you're out on a practise tow?

And as for the new baby....well, a woman apparently had a baby at Glastonbury last week - well, her waters broke there, she was taken to hospital, had the baby, then returned to the Festival with the newborn a day or so later....so anything's possible!! LOL

Sue

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello Andrew, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your unforseen windfall.

As a seasoned camper I'm sure that you will know that the time spent with children on campsites exploring the countryside is rewarding and with the added warmth and relative comfort that a caravan will offer you will be able to take your son and his new sibling very soon, we see lots of families with babies on rally fields.

I'm sure that your father will give you some advice on hitching and towing your caravan, ask him to accompany you for a ride around the local area before setting off on your first trip.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
shouldhave plenty of help here so just call ,as said you father may help with hjtch up dont use the spray foam on spongey floor needs to be sorted possible delam on the way not a big job if you catch it early.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hello Andrew, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your unforseen windfall.

As a seasoned camper I'm sure that you will know that the time spent with children on campsites exploring the countryside is rewarding and with the added warmth and relative comfort that a caravan will offer you will be able to take your son and his new sibling very soon, we see lots of families with babies on rally fields.

I'm sure that your father will give you some advice on hitching and towing your caravan, ask him to accompany you for a ride around the local area before setting off on your first trip.
Steve, I like the way you took my second sentence and reworded it to make it look like you had the same idea! tee hee ;o)

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew, we moved up from tent, trailer tent to caravan when we had our daughter, she loves it, thinks it's a big wendy house for her to play in!

When we got our first caravan to see if we would like it, we had a trip away to a site quite near to us (about 15miles) just as a test run, to learn how to connect everything up, water electric etc. The idea being that if we'd forgotten something essential, or it all went pear shaped we could pop back home.

Didn't need to, all went well, apart from spending about an hour figuring out how to put the awning up, finally getting it up, going to peg it down and finding out I had it inside out!

Best of luck, happy caravanning.

Jim

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comments.

My dad has said he'll need a full day with me to show me how to hitch the thing up, connections, where everything is etc and a reasonable driving lesson so im confident.

wont be going far for the first one, planning for the first week of school holidays (busy i know), and will be looking to keep within a 50 mile radius in case anything goes pearshaped.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew, I'm from Duns in the Scottish borders, if your 50 mile radius reaches into the borders it could be worth a trip to a site up there, mainly because the Scottish school holidays are later than the English ones, therefore the sites might not have hiked up their prices yet.

All the best, Jim.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, got that back to front, Scottish holidays before English ones, so not a lot of help, I really shouldn't post replies after a couple of glasses of wine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts