Another tow car combination question

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
We are looking at getting our first caravan, and also changing the family car to enable me to tow a caravan. Although I have been driving since 1999, I only have a category B licence, which is restricted to the 3500Kg combination. The caravan we would like to get is the new Venus 540/4 which MAM is 1295Kg. The car I am looking at is the korando SE, with a gross vehicle weight of 2180Kg. The kerb weight is 1666Kg. So I am looking at 1295Kg + 2180Kg = 3475kg max. Am I correct in thinking that this complies with my category B licence?. I know this is close but as these are maximum weights, I am thinking with 2 adults and 2 small children I wouldn't be that heavy. I would obviously use a weigh bridge before venturing out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Chorleynoob said:
We are looking at getting our first caravan, and also changing the family car to enable me to tow a caravan. Although I have been driving since 1999, I only have a category B licence, which is restricted to the 3500Kg combination. The caravan we would like to get is the new Venus 540/4 which MAM is 1295Kg. The car I am looking at is the korando SE, with a gross vehicle weight of 2180Kg. The kerb weight is 1666Kg. So I am looking at 1295Kg + 2180Kg = 3475kg max. Am I correct in thinking that this complies with my category B licence?. I know this is close but as these are maximum weights, I am thinking with 2 adults and 2 small children I wouldn't be that heavy. I would obviously use a weigh bridge before venturing out.
That's fine on a B-only licence and at 78% Towing Ratio it should tow well - it would also be permitted at the higher speed limit in France.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Chorleynoob. It's refreshing to see a new caravaner doing their homework before parting with their hard earned money and being a danger/illegal on the road. :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks a very good combination. According to the CC the actual combined weight is what counts and not the theoretical maximum. They state
If you passed your Driving test after 1 January 1997, Category B entitles you to:

Drive a combined weight (car and caravan) of up to 3,500kg. If the combined weight exceeds 3,500kg, the B+E test pass is required
Drive a motorhome without a trailer up to 3,500kg. Passing the LGV test entitles you to drive a motorhome up to 7,500kg
Drive a motorhome with a trailer, providing the trailer does not exceed 750kg and the combined weight is not more than 4,250kg. If the trailer exceeds 750kg, a LGV test plus the B+E test will need to be passed.
A list of B+E Driving Instructors can be found here
Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Looks a very good combination. According to the CC the actual combined weight is what counts and not the theoretical maximum. They state
If you passed your Driving test after 1 January 1997, Category B entitles you to:...............

Hello Ray,

There is some confusion regarding the wording seen on the Govt web site giving advice concerning the actual vs Combined MAM. Whilst in general these sites can be believed, in this specific case, the wording seems to have changed from previous versions where it was the Combined MAM. I have contacted the webmaster to have the wording double checked, because it could be a misleading statement which suggests Cat B drivers may drive combos with a combined MAM over 3500kg may be legal, when if the wording of the actual regulation has not changed.

This reminds me I must give them another poke to at least respond in some way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts