Anti Virus

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
My current anti virus is up for renewal, have used Eset for at least 6 years and (touch wood) had no problem, problem is this year they want £27.00 against prevous years at £17.00.
What do you use. are you happy with it, how much do you pay (if anything) ?
I know you get what you pay for and if others are similary priced will proberbly stick with current one,
thanks for any advice,

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Kev - we use Free AVG on our laptops, so the virus definitions can be updated anywhere over wifi when away. We also use a subscription version of AVG at home on the server and clients. We've been using both versions for quite a few years and have never had any problems. The last place I worked at also used AVG.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We use Microsoft Security Essentials, (free download,) find it just as good if not better than AVG free, in fact for a year or two used AVG on subscription (which is better than the free) until they got too greedy and we dumped them. So tried Microsoft and no problems, in fact me and daughter using it converted our "computer man" into using it and recommending it to others.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what's happened to the forum software again but your links are not working Sprocket. Perhaps Haymarket's anti-virus needs renewing
smiley-frown.gif

I use Kaspersky anti-virus which is very good but at £30 a year it's quite expensive and I might change to McAffee of Norton when the subscription runs out in November.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Kev, I also use Avast free, definitions are updated twice a day and I have never had any problems with viruses getting through.
like Parksy I used Kaspersky for years also without any problems but IMHO they got a bit expensive, that also goes for Macfee and Norton, also there is a problem with the basic intrusions of the programing software it gets everywhere even to the point where it scans photos ect, and dumps volumes of data into a sand box (or similar) and refuses to allow you to use it. provided you dont use peer to peer downloads or use dodgy sites, avast and suchlike are fine, and of course they are FREE.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
I'm not sure what's happened to the forum software again but your links are not working Sprocket. Perhaps Haymarket's anti-virus needs renewing
smiley-frown.gif
Just got in from work & I have just checked & they appear to be working ok in Chrome & IE & they work ok on my Android phone & just checked my Blackberry Playbook & thats ok so here are the long versions .... http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/internet-security ....... and we get this aswell ...... http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/free-wifi ......

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The links work from my laptop computer now that I finally managed to get it to do more or less what it's supposed to
smiley-undecided.gif

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Parksy,
I know that anti virus and anti spyware software depends a lot on personal preferences, and folks can have pretty entrenched views....
If you have got your new laptop and are using Win 8 then it comes as standard with Windows Defender, (its the same engine as Microsoft Security Essentials, so its not to be confused with the older versions of Defender...)
The Win 8 Defender coupled with the Windows Firewall and something like Malwarebytes Pro (it includes Real Time Protection) and practicing "safe computing" provides a reasonably secure environment especially if you are operating on the net via a router that incorporates a hardware firewall. (most do)
Regards
paws

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Paws
I had to get everything set up yesterday and finally managed it, but I'm still finding out how to navigate using Windows 8.
There was a Windows security update yesterday which I installed and a firewall setting that I set so I'm guessing that there is some protection besides an encryption software tool that I downloaded and installed.
I'll have a look later because I'm a bit reluctant to use the Kaspersky on the laptop because although it provides good protection it can use a lot of resources and cause slow running issues at times.
I've used the Malwarebytes virus removal tool in the past after my email contact list was compromised, it's very good.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks forumites for your suggestions, think I will try one of the free ones when my time is up.
Next Question, do I have to wait until mine runs out, can I install free one now,or will they run side by side until mine expires.?

Sprocket, I'm on Virgin. so dont think I can use the ones your on.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
don't think so Kev as it might cause a conflict in the system, however you can download a free one while.still using the current one then hold it in downloads untill needed, or once you have it, turn off the internet, uninstall your present one, and then while off line install the new one, after switching back on the internet it should update it's self, keeping your system secure.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Thanks Paws
I had to get everything set up yesterday and finally managed it, but I'm still finding out how to navigate using Windows 8.
There was a Windows security update yesterday which I installed and a firewall setting that I set so I'm guessing that there is some protection besides an encryption software tool that I downloaded and installed.
I'll have a look later because I'm a bit reluctant to use the Kaspersky on the laptop because although it provides good protection it can use a lot of resources and cause slow running issues at times.
I've used the Malwarebytes virus removal tool in the past after my email contact list was compromised, it's very good.

The same applies to Norton which is why I now sue Eset as it constantly updates.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are on Virgin and have used various ones with no problems. My son in law sees to it as he is the expert and we are currently on Comodo which he suggests.

TRENDING THREADS