Ants!!

Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
Having just looked into the caravan today I discovered it was crawling with ants! I have not had this problem before and the caravan is parked where it normally is. I have hoovered up all that I can see and spayed ant killer in the corners of the van and around the obvious vents in the underside. I am pretty sure that this will do the trick but wondered whether anyone alse has had a similar problem? I am new to caravanning hence the question and no there wasn't any food left in the van - thankfully!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a few in the awning in Brittany but other people had to move pitches.

We get them in the kitchen and they make for the dishwasher

They come out somewhere dead but very clean .

We find that once we put out the ant killer that comes in a round container like an air freshener they soon take the bait back to the nest and are never seen again until next year.

The one we are using at the moment is Nippon ant killer.

They use a drop of liquid in the dispenser and we have only had to put one drop in this year.

We were able to buy a similar one(2 pack) in Brittany and one did our awning and we gave one to the people who had moved and it cured their problem.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
if you think about it there are only 6 real points of contact with the floor when its not in use, the 4 steadies and the wheels (providing you have a single axel of course)

Just sprinkle some nippon around the wheels and legs, i bet this will cure the problem and you wont see them again til next year.

Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
if you think about it there are only 6 real points of contact with the floor when its not in use, the 4 steadies and the wheels (providing you have a single axel of course)

Just sprinkle some nippon around the wheels and legs, i bet this will cure the problem and you wont see them again til next year.
Thanks for the advice, I had already sprayed around the legs with the nippon spray but due to the torrential rain today will need to apply again. I was wondering if the hot, humid and wet weather in the last couple of days has had anything to do with the ants seeking somewhere dry? - As mentioned they haven't found any food. I'll be calling in tomorrow morning and hoping to sound the all clear.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
yes i had this about a month ago,go a shock going in the van and seeing these things running round.used ant powder round the steadies and jockey wheel.had no more ants so far.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
We always purchase a bug killer spray in France and at every Site spray the feet [ we have big pads on them ] and legs and the electric lead.

Insed the van we also have one of those electrical beastie preventers [ sends out a high pitched sound which we can't hear in a random pattern ] Dunno how effective that is - but we only had 2 ants in in a 6 week stay.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angelas comment about buying bug killer spray in France reminded me of the stuff we bought in Spain having been invaded by ants. Instant results. Ants dead on contact. No messing.

Probably not available in this country - must buy some more when next in Spain.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
we had ants at Cosgrove at easter, they were in our awning and in the van. We found them making their way up the front steadies and in through a vent on the floor inside the kitchen cubboards. we were not expecting this major invasion and my wife came up with the ultimate solution, this was to put scented talc around the inside of the awning and around all contact with the ground. this detered the little suckkers and they went home smelling wonderful, so everyone was happy we had no more ants and the ants had a beauty make over.

Regards Dave & Dawn (Luton)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts