Any Koi Carp owners ?

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi caravanner,

If the Koi are small then dont forget or under estimate how quickly a Heron can eat them.

When you get the dreaded blanket weed and you will if you are feeding regularly, I find that Interpet Pond Balance works very well. It seem to work much better after a water change (needs hard water for best effect).

Try tying half an orange on a piece of string in the water for a treat. Mine love it!

Enjoy

Jim

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Yes I do. Built a three thousand gallon pond about ten years ago. Mind you it is purely a Koi pond no plants or other fish. Got the huge filter system fed by bottom drains, settlement chambers, vortex's etc etc. Only have six fish but I purchased quality rather than quantity and they are all now around 18 inches.

Depends what your set up is, Koi make a lot of waste, not a problem for me because it goes through the bottom drain and into the vortex where I regularly flush it to waste then the auto top up replenishes to the correct level.

Also have a UV steriliser because our garden is south facing so it gets permanent sun (When it shines ;O))

My dilemma at the moment is whether to build a bigger pond, I would like something in the region of six to eight thousand gallons, or to wait till we move house which might be on the cards in the next few years.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi we had Koi for 12 years , we kept them in a 4 foot deep 6000 gallon raised pond , they used to feed out our hands , most were over 27 inches in length and were like pets , then 7 years ago we moved to Swansea in south Wales ,the fish were all bagged up in boxes by a proffessional Koi dealer , they were fine for about a year ,then during the winter i noticed a fish of about 7Lb in weight laying on the lawn with its head missing , so i checked the other fish and most of them were gone apart from my best fish , i knew then that they had been attacked by wild Mink ,there were fish scales every where under the caravan , so i doubled the netting over the pond ,and all was quiet for about 5 weeks then i noticed a fist sized hole in the netting ,my heart sunk i knew that my last fish had gone , apparently mine wasnt the only pond there was a few more cases reported in the paper ,so if you live near open ground beware ,mink are expert swimmers & climbers ,and are vicieous predators , back to keeping Koi ,never drain all your water down ,i used drain about 25% every 2 weeks , do not overfeed ,any floating food after about 5 mins scoop out with a net , and do not feed when the water temp drops below 50 F

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
thanks for the replys. Yes already had the blanketweed rid of it now though how many koi can i keep in a 2000 litre pond? i tried to buy quailty fish as well they seem nice fish around 9 inches each any tips on choosing a good koi? What does everyone do over winter? do you leave the koi in the pond problem is mines only 3 feet deep should I put an inflatable pool up in the garage or tank them as I wouldn't like to lose the fish

thanks for any answers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi not an expert but got a pond , blanket weed get a hesian sack from local green grocer and stuff with barley straw see if you can get hold of a bale from a farm dont pay aquatic centre prices , do not move fish do them more harm than good causing stress to em my pool varies from 3 - 4 foot deep not lost any to freezing and i got some good size fish 12 - 15 inch , just keep pump running 365 days ,cheers john

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts