Any thoughts about using a cadac gas grill in the awning?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting, though I have never seen it sold there by the running metre, just the 1.2 M length with a couple of "Jubilee" clone clips.

Then at £7, very much dearer than I buy it from our caravan accessory shop.
B&Q BBQ hose
We bought 5m no issue. About 3M for the 45kg gas cylinder used for heating and the other 2m for the BBQ point.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I bought some hose online by the metre - I have 3m attached to the external BBQ connector, with a quick-release on the other end which mates with the matching part on the Cadac. I also have two bottle regulators with shorter pipes and QR connectors on, for use at home with the various bottles I have lying around (Supergas, Campingaz).

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Yep, I use my Cadac in the awning if the weather doesn't allow me to use it outside!!! I'd rather do that than cook in the caravan. Don't want the caravan furnishings smelling of cooking. I do a whole chicken and veg in it ! Like a Sunday dinner !!!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep, I use my Cadac in the awning if the weather doesn't allow me to use it outside!!! I'd rather do that than cook in the caravan. Don't want the caravan furnishings smelling of cooking. I do a whole chicken and veg in it ! Like a Sunday dinner !!!!!!
Don’t you then get a coating from cooking inside the awning?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would never use our Cadac in a awning because of a fire risk

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not a cat in hells chance of us doing that. I dealt with the claims and I know the danger. I suspect some insurers might regard that as not taking reasonable care, if you have a claim. Both the two clubs have dire warnings against this.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Don’t flames fat and smoke rise, not sideways🙃
You've never stood near a frying pan full of hot oil with sausages in it?!
Not a cat in hells chance of us doing that. I dealt with the claims and I know the danger. I suspect some insurers might regard that as not taking reasonable care, if you have a claim. Both the two clubs have dire warnings against this.
Agreed. I'll happily use the Cadac outside in a little drizzle or set up an umbrella or something for heavier rain, or simply go to the nearest pub. I tend to use the Cadac rather than the hob in the van to keep cooking smells out of the van, especially if doing anything with a hot griddle like steaks, burgers etc. The hob will be used to boil water for pasta, rice or veggies. Beans go in the microwave.

I'll never use an open flame in or near the awning.

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
In my camping days I always used to cook in the tent if it was raining. Cooker would be on a stand next to an open door. If you put it next to a door facing away from the prevailing wind you would get minimum rain coming in and natural extraction. Never worried me. Basic common sense and caution goes a long way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my camping days I always used to cook in the tent if it was raining. Cooker would be on a stand next to an open door. If you put it next to a door facing away from the prevailing wind you would get minimum rain coming in and natural extraction. Never worried me. Basic common sense and caution goes a long way.
Some years ago now, there were a series of serious events involving BBQ's and campers. Because it was getting cold some campers actually brought charcoal BBQ's inside their tents and closed the tent doors. The fumes from the BBQ's overwhelmed them and they died.

Less well publicised, was another incident where a BBQ was being used just outside a frame tent, and was left to burn out as the campers went to bed, the prevailing breeze blew the fumes into the tent and several members of the family were lucky to survive as the began to suffer major effects of CO inhalation.

So its with good reason BBQ's or any open flame device is should never be used inside yet alone close to a tent or awning.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some years ago now, there were a series of serious events involving BBQ's and campers. Because it was getting cold some campers actually brought charcoal BBQ's inside their tents and closed the tent doors. The fumes from the BBQ's overwhelmed them and they died.

Less well publicised, was another incident where a BBQ was being used just outside a frame tent, and was left to burn out as the campers went to bed, the prevailing breeze blew the fumes into the tent and several members of the family were lucky to survive as the began to suffer major effects of CO inhalation.

So its with good reason BBQ's or any open flame device is should never be used inside yet alone close to a tent or awning.

i have never used an open flame or bbq in or near the caravan awning. Predominantly that is because if I was going to cook outside it was because the weather was good and we were likely to eat outside or within the awning. Although some morning breakfasts would be cooked outside and eaten indoors.

But as regards cooking in or near a tent your final comment of “ never” fails to recognise the differences between caravanning and camping. I’m with ChristTC on this one. My current tent is an Omega 350 which has half its length as a front porch with a side door on each side and a front roof vent. At times I have put a tarp up, but the weather can change and the prevailing direction changes. So I do cook, if necessary, within the confines of the porch with the cooker adjacent to the open door and the windward door open as far as practicable to keep rain out.

I will not use a charcoal bbq in the tent. The Smokey Joe is for good weather only. My cooking kit comprises two single burner butane/propane stoves. I always have a fire extinguisher in the tent too. I don’t consider my approach to be at all a risk. But obviously I much prefer to cook outside if only because I am twice the height of the tent and putting my back out is the greater risk.

92AFF168-4784-4ECE-89BC-38B859B28F53.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do accept that with a tent cooking inside may be needed and a small gas burner is possibly the only answer. It is still a risk, but you are doing the best that can be done though. Ventilation is vital though as all forms of cooking give off problem gasses.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have never used an open flame or bbq in or near the caravan awning. Predominantly that is because if I was going to cook outside it was because the weather was good and we were likely to eat outside or within the awning. Although some morning breakfasts would be cooked outside and eaten indoors.

But as regards cooking in or near a tent your final comment of “ never” fails to recognise the differences between caravanning and camping. I’m with ChristTC on this one. My current tent is an Omega 350 which has half its length as a front porch with a side door on each side and a front roof vent. At times I have put a tarp up, but the weather can change and the prevailing direction changes. So I do cook, if necessary, within the confines of the porch with the cooker adjacent to the open door and the windward door open as far as practicable to keep rain out.

I will not use a charcoal bbq in the tent. The Smokey Joe is for good weather only. My cooking kit comprises two single burner butane/propane stoves. I always have a fire extinguisher in the tent too. I don’t consider my approach to be at all a risk. But obviously I much prefer to cook outside if only because I am twice the height of the tent and putting my back out is the greater risk.

View attachment 3901
Looks nice enjoy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do accept that with a tent cooking inside may be needed and a small gas burner is possibly the only answer. It is still a risk, but you are doing the best that can be done though. Ventilation is vital though as all forms of cooking give off problem gasses.
I acknowledge the potential risk but there are trailer tents that have gas appliances installed as do most campervans. As you say ventilation is the key aspect as well as a clean burning flame. 🔥

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts