Any thoughts about using a cadac gas grill in the awning?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Seven members on anotherForum say they use their Cadac in their awning.
What do people think?
Not for me . I have seen an awning burn. 🙀😥

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Completely agree DD; plus any fat/food splatters will ruin the fabric. Also the dreaded CO risk if there is not enough ventilation. However, back in the day when we had a trailer tent we cheerfully used the gas hob and grill inside 🤔.
Mel

Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If its throwing it down I will use our Cadac "2-Cook Pro Delux" a two ring stove with griddling platers, in the awning.

Clearly using care its way from the awning surfaces, and with the awning very well ventilated. In just the same way we used a two ring stove for many years in the kitchen section of our Blacks frame tent through the sixties and much of the seventies.

Re monoxide; in the awning as used the stove is every bit as well ventilated as we could ever make the caravan's three burner ring hob, though the van has a CO alarm which has never acted in a threat situation.

Re fat splatters; I have a DIY three faced aluminium sheet shield around the stove. It is better protected than the furnishings of the van abutting that's hob. The Cadac is about a metre from the nearest surface of the awning.
Plus, we do the absolute minimum of fat containing cooking. Typically, I also cover cooking items with old aluminium foil containers, here to retain all round cooking heat, that also serves to contain spits. Pans would normally be used with their lids in place.

If we were into burning food as seems quite common with others, I would not entertain using any cooker other than outside, plus we would also opt out of eating it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Completely agree DD; plus any fat/food splatters will ruin the fabric. Also the dreaded CO risk if there is not enough ventilation. However, back in the day when we had a trailer tent we cheerfully used the gas hob and grill inside 🤔.
Mel
Back in 1980 we had a NR Nimrod trailer tent. Two burner gas hob folded down at the back ,under cover. Not for me today.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The smell of the food cooking plus any smoke from the cooking food impregnates the awning material so we would never consider it. Our charcoal BBQ is a Weber so has a lid and our Campinggaz unit also has a lid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The formal advice is not to use appliances with naked flames in tents or awnings.

There is an assumption that awnings are naturally well ventilated, and the same was often thought about tents, but a number of incidents CO poisoning with both gas lights and charcoal BBQ's have proven that under some circumstances that assumption was sadly not true with fatal consequences.

Others have mentioned the possibility of fire risks, and the inconvenience of smell and splatter from cooking.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn’t use one in the awning mainly for reasons that others have mentioned. But in the Scouts the paraffin Primus was used inside or outside. A further thought is that Arctic and Antarctic explorers don’t have much choice. ❄️😱

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
We have an external bbq connection point - it's at the off side front of the caravan. I've no doubt that it's position was decided upon for good reasons!

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Many sites will not let you use it and frankly it is an unnecessary risk.
I know many caravans have the barbeque point on the nearside, but this has to be because the car goes the other side on most sites. If you cannot get the barbeque clear of the awning then use it outside connected direct to the bottle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many sites will not let you use it and frankly it is an unnecessary risk.
I know many caravans have the barbeque point on the nearside, but this has to be because the car goes the other side on most sites. If you cannot get the barbeque clear of the awning then use it outside connected direct to the bottle.
Although we have used numerous sites in the UK and abroad, we have never come across this restriction although we have never used our charcoal BBQ in the awning.
When we did have the Cadac skottel, we had about 2 -3 m hose so it was well away from the caravan and the awning.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
we have never used our charcoal BBQ in the awning.

For us, that would be an absolute "no no".

With charcoal the CO risk is massively different to the use of any Cadac gas stove that is used with a normal healthy burner. The latter, in that regard is no different to using the van's hob burners, only changing if you go down the route of burning the food or using defective, air starved burners.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bailey got it right 15 years ago. The BBQ gas point is on the O/S . So unless you breach the regs with an over length gas pipe you cannot use it in the awning.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Bailey got it right 15 years ago. The BBQ gas point is on the O/S . So unless you breach the regs with an over length gas pipe you cannot use it in the awning.

Did they see cause to change it over the intervening years?

I for one want to be part of the social scene when cooking, as I see that part and parcel of entertaining, not put away out of it, but then maybe I differ from others.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

I for one want to be part of the social scene when cooking, as I see that part and parcel of entertaining, not put away out of it, but then maybe I differ from others.
It does reach the front of the hitch. I guess it depends where the sun is and where the others are sitting😜

May 11, 2021
Visit site

They did - my Bailey has it on the front near side. I also want to be sociable whilst cooking outside. Never in or near the awning, but I would probably use it under the canopy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...So unless you breach the regs with an over length gas pipe ...

The only regulation about the length of a gas hose I am aware of relates to the ability of the supply pipe (or hose) to be able to maintain an adequate pressure at the appliance when it's in use. As the pressure drop along a hose is a function of cross sectional area and the required flow rate, the answer about how long will depend on the appliance being used.

Apart from that there is no formal regulation that I know about concerning about the maximum length of a gas hose. There are recommendations which basically suggest it only needs to be long enough to meet the needs of the job in hand.

Some pipe sellers may apply their own interpretation and voluntarily limit the maximum length of pipe the will sell in the retail setting.

Reactions: figbat
May 7, 2012
Visit site
When we bought the hose for ours from a local dealer they did say that 2 metres was the maximum. They have no reason to suggest this limit unless it was correct. I have no technical knowledge on the subject though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we bought the hose for ours from a local dealer they did say that 2 metres was the maximum. They have no reason to suggest this limit unless it was correct. I have no technical knowledge on the subject though.
Walk into B&Q and buy 10m and no questions asked plus a lot cheaper than any dealer most of whom have no understanding of laws and guidelines. :ROFLMAO:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Walk into B&Q and buy 10m and no questions asked plus a lot cheaper than any dealer most of whom have no understanding of laws and guidelines. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting, though I have never seen it sold there by the running metre, just the 1.2 M length with a couple of "Jubilee" clone clips.

Then at £7, very much dearer than I buy it from our caravan accessory shop.
B&Q BBQ hose

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just look details on our other caravan when we were seasonal that the BBQ gas point on O/S it got some use .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts