Aquaroll - Heated?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Clive.
I am hoping that I can find some proper motor and brake unit instead of the thing that has been fitted, otherwise it looks like £1400 down the drain.

Or go second hand.. loads on EBay. I have been trying to sell a perfectly servicable one with upgraded batteries for £180 for months, no luck at all.

Should add, it’s not a £1400 new one, more like £700.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have never really had any strong views about where an item is made as long as it works correctly, but recent events have changed my mind and I must say that I tend to agree that Chinese made items seem to be made of inferior quality parts.
View attachment 985View attachment 987
I bought my wife a mobility scooter back in August 2109 and since then it has only been used 5 times, on tarmac roadways from the car park at the local Crematorium to our Daughters grave site and back again to the car, but with the Covid restrictions over the time since March it has not been used and stored indoors but when I went to get it ready to use , I found that the motor and brake unit had seized up. The scooter has never been used when it was raining, or gone "off road" or through deep water.
The company who supply the scooter will not accept that it is a manufacturing defect which allows water to get inside the motor.
Hi Damian i hope you can find some better replacements parts for the mobility scooter Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Damian
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought a flat pack mobility scooter for £2600 and the lithium battery kept packing up. If I did not put it on charge every second day that was it! If I left it on charge, it would pack up anyway.
Also the ignition part for the scooter kept coming loose making it difficult to switch on. Merchant gave me a lot of uphill when I rejected the scooter and had to use S75 of the CCA to get a refund.
Why are mobility scooters so expensive? If you imported direct from China a decent flat pack scooter the cost landed is under £500 and it then sells for £2600!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don"t think my budget could afford a flat pack mobility scooter . but that your choice ...... So i brought this Pride Go Go Elite traveller plus (Travel scooter) blue 12 months old only been use twice and so far it has been brilliant it comes apart but i have a small trailer it goes in .when we go to the shops . but not lately .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don"t think my budget could afford a flat pack mobility scooter . but that your choice ...... So i brought this Pride Go Go Elite traveller plus (Travel scooter) blue 12 months old only been use twice and so far it has been brilliant it comes apart but i have a small trailer it goes in .when we go to the shops . but not lately .

IMHO the pride scooters are best value for money however they are a bit heavy for OH to lift up into the back of a vehicle. Battery is the big weight.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
IMHO the pride scooters are best value for money however they are a bit heavy for OH to lift up into the back of a vehicle. Battery is the big weight.
Just remenber it breaks down into five items there a big difference in price that scooter only cost me £140 .
i have put it in the car when we have the caravan on back the battery pack i don"t find it to heavy lifted a lot more than that. i can get around better than my wheelchair

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just as an example, this you tube video gives an indication of the lengths that some far eastern manufactures will go to to dupe an unsuspecting buyer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFqdPbqItY

This gentleman has many similar video's showing many issues, and the majority come from Chinese branded or unbranded products.

The vast majority of the UK public would have no way of establishing if any of these products conform to safety standards or not.

A very common problem with mains equipment is the failure of the earth connection inside the appliance. In some instances the earth wire isn't even connected in Class 1 type lighting fittings.

You should be careful when buying from these sources.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just as an example, this you tube video gives an indication of the lengths that some far eastern manufactures will go to to dupe an unsuspecting buyer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFqdPbqItY

This gentleman has many similar video's showing many issues, and the majority come from Chinese branded or unbranded products.

The vast majority of the UK public would have no way of establishing if any of these products conform to safety standards or not.

A very common problem with mains equipment is the failure of the earth connection inside the appliance. In some instances the earth wire isn't even connected in Class 1 type lighting fittings.

You should be careful when buying from these sources.

The problem is just how are the public expected to differentiate with those sort of products. If you went to your local garden Center the lights on sale invariably come from China and your garden Center has probably bought them in from a wholesale distributor. The only advantage that I can see is that when your house burns down you might be able to sue the garden Center, assuming of course the remnants can still be found to determine the cause.
Quite a while back there was thread on the Forum that related to a EU wide recall of a well known (U.K.) branded pressure cooker. It was deemed unsafe on two counts. One it’s risk as a pressure vessel, the other the risk of burnt hands. My wife had bought one and I had stopped using it because of its distinct user unfriendliness. It was made in China but the product responsibility lay with the U.K. brand. The replacement is much better but still no where near as good as a Prestige Hi Top when draining the pasta water away. Form over function I’m afraid.

So it’s alright warning people of risks but in the absence of strong trading standards departments people need answers too. Not everyone is technically minded. EG how many know what a Class 1 light fitting is? They will go on appearance in the majority of purchases.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMHO when advertising goods, it should be clearly stated on the advert where the goods are manufactured. On more than one occasion we have paid extra thinking we were buying German manufactured goods as the name of the brand was very German, but on arrival the goods were made in China.
I am not saying that if we had that knowledge before purchase that we would not have bought, but I would have looked more closely at reviews. In the past we have bought Chinese goods and they worked perfectly for several months and then gave up the ghost and you have no option except to dump the goods.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are not into christmas lights outside and if we change our mind i would not buy from Ebay but like what someone said on here check to see who the manufactured is ,and look at the reviews and see what is recommended .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know this thread has diverged from the subject, but without any doubt, when you make a UK purchase from a UK retailer, the retailer is responsible for the ensuring the product meets relevant standards, so if they don't the retailer is liable.

The big problems arise with mail order or Online ordering where the retailer is not UK based. Its a grey area in terms of sellers liability, if they have to conform to UK regulations or not.

Many far eastern sellers are now lodging stock on UK soil which helps with delivery times, but the business is still foreign. there are also a lot of counterfeit goods purporting to be from well known brands but are in fact very poor lower performing and in some cases dangerous.

It's advisable to use a credit card or paypal for significant items, as this gives you additional protection.

I do have the relevant qualifications and facilities to test various types of electrical equipment and I often will source items from the far east. There have been mixed results regards safety, But to be fair there have been as many satisfactory as bad items, so it is a mixed bag and that why you have to be wary about using unfamiliar brands.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite a while back there was thread on the Forum that related to a EU wide recall of a well known (U.K.) branded pressure cooker. It was deemed unsafe on two counts. One it’s risk as a pressure vessel, the other the risk of burnt hands. My wife had bought one and I had stopped using it because of its distinct user unfriendliness. It was made in China but the product responsibility lay with the U.K. brand.

I had one of the faulty units which I sent back and eventually got a replacement which works fine, but the manufacturer is still the same as the original one and they are based in Wuhan !!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had one of the faulty units which I sent back and eventually got a replacement which works fine, but the manufacturer is still the same as the original one and they are based in Wuhan !!!!
Damian
Guess the high temperature steam will kill anything nasty, although Wuhan is probably safer than Gosport at present 😷

• Haha
Reactions: Damian
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
OK So now some time has passed and the missus and I can have fairly lengthy shower's.
I ended up basically doing two things.
Changing the pump to a slightly larger one, more liters per minute and putting a pond submergible 300 watt heater preset to 30 Deg C in my Aquaroll
What a pleasure! Even when "she" washes her hair, it never ran out of hot water!
Happy days are here again!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OK So now some time has passed and the missus and I can have fairly lengthy shower's.
Changing the pump to a slightly larger one, more liters per minute and putting a pond submergible 300 watt heater preset to 30 Deg C in my Aquaroll
What a pleasure! Even when "she" washes her hair, it never ran out of hot water!
At long last well done , now book for a pitch at The Woosie fest in October at Snaigton to prove you have The Everlasting Shower. 😃

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about that larger pump as I do not know what system you have. We did have our external pump stolen once and the only dealer nearby only had the larger size. It did work for a bit but then started to blow off as too strong for the fitting, so watch out.
Personally I am against that waste in heating the Aquaroll as to a large extent you are losing a fair amount of power to the air. It could also become costly on a metered site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
About 15 yearscago on one site we went out for the day and coming back pump would not work. On checking the pump I realised that someone had swapped pumps and left us their faulty pump!

• Wow
Reactions: Bluetonic
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Not sure about that larger pump as I do not know what system you have. We did have our external pump stolen once and the only dealer nearby only had the larger size. It did work for a bit but then started to blow off as too strong for the fitting, so watch out.
Personally I am against that waste in heating the Aquaroll as to a large extent you are losing a fair amount of power to the air. It could also become costly on a metered site.

Knowing Grey13, I very much doubt that he would leave 330w of water heater permanently supplied to the aquaroll, he would pre-prepare the water temperature prior to planned showers.

I also know that Grey has medical reasons for him preparing hot water in this method.

Good to know that Grey is a considerate guy, not like those who heat awnings or indeed leave awning heaters on for their pets just because it is free.

He is a nice guy Raywood, not at all a wilful energy waster, be nice if all of us could meet up sometime.

(y):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts