Aquaroll - Heated?

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Having been on numerous courses on Legionella , we still drink our caravan water from the aquaroll and or onboard tank. Legionaires is caught by breathing in an aerosol -as Clive quite rightly states the biggest risk is a shower left with water in it in the warm-more likely in your house after a holiday perhaps-simply place the shower on the floor to prevent as much aerosol as poss and run through clean water for a few mins.
GRAY, I've come to this one late but have you thought about buying some tyre warmers-F1 style-they get pretty hot and would sit nicely round your aquaroll and can be simply plugged in to the external mains socket perhaps?

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jezzer,
I have used caravan tap water via on board tank and aquaroll for 42 years, . No problems. We purify the entire system before each tour. Modern U.K. water is pretty robust clean stuff. I agree an unused , undrained , shower may be the harbinger of bugs. However it will take many weeks to be Legionnaires.
Just think where your home tap water comes from? Where’s the difference?

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure but doesn't a lot depend on how high the water is heated as it seems to thrive at temperatures between 25C and 45C?
Yes that is the temperature range that it develops at but Grey will have sterilised his sytem, use mains supply water ( chlorinated) the water will not be static for any significant length of time and the water will be replenished regularly., and it’s unlikely to be at “ growth” temperature for very long.
In summer abroad the Aqua roll will be heated up to the temperature range but does anyone worry themselves about using the caravan shower abroad?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having been on numerous courses on Legionella , we still drink our caravan water from the aquaroll and or onboard tank. Legionaires is caught by breathing in an aerosol -as Clive quite rightly states the biggest risk is a shower left with water in it in the warm-more likely in your house after a holiday perhaps-simply place the shower on the floor to prevent as much aerosol as poss and run through clean water for a few mins.
GRAY, I've come to this one late but have you thought about buying some tyre warmers-F1 style-they get pretty hot and would sit nicely round your aquaroll and can be simply plugged in to the external mains socket perhaps?
As our daughter rents her house from us I had to develop a Risk Assessment for legionnaires and the only area of concern would be the shower after being left for a longish period if she were away on holiday for two weeks or more. So the answer was as you say. Run the shower hot low down in the shower cubicle fir five minutes. But domestic showers are not drained like caravan one for travel.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Jezzer,
I have used caravan tap water via on board tank and aquaroll for 42 years, . No problems. We purify the entire system before each tour. Modern U.K. water is pretty robust clean stuff. I agree an unused , undrained , shower may be the harbinger of bugs. However it will take many weeks to be Legionnaires.
Just think where your home tap water comes from? Where’s the difference?
This is exactly what I said Dusty-we do drink it-no risk imo! Not sure why you've implied that I don't? I don't even purify the system after each hol-I put puriclean in the aquaroll and the wastemaster and drain down-that's it-I don't even bother running the shower any more than it takes to get the airlocks out-as Clive quite rightly says-not like a house shower when it sits there with water in-we drain down every time. And our aquaroll/onboard tank water always tastes great-without a Brita or any faffing with bottled water.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I must be such a sensitive sole.

I have seen the effects that stagnant water or systems sealed up and left damp can show on the internals of the tank or pipes. Therefore I puriclean, but just once per year. We also don’t use the system water for drinking or for food. Instead we use bottled water from the site tap after performing our *taste test*. If it fails we buy bottles. This is not because we think that the tap water may not be potable. But because, by its very nature, water can vary greatly around the country. This affects taste and can also affect how ones bodily functions respond to it.

Very little effort or expense for comfort and peace of mind.

** Taste test. Try a cup of tea. That’s it.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I must be such a sensitive sole.

I have seen the effects that stagnant water or systems sealed up and left damp can show on the internals of the tank or pipes. Therefore I puriclean, but just once per year. We also don’t use the system water for drinking or for food. Instead we use bottled water from the site tap after performing our *taste test*. If it fails we buy bottles. This is not because we think that the tap water may not be potable. But because, by its very nature, water can vary greatly around the country. This affects taste and can also affect how ones bodily functions respond to it.

Very little effort or expense for comfort and peace of mind.

** Taste test. Try a cup of tea. That’s it.

John
I think that Grey plans to use his system for showering and it will not be hot enough for tea or else he might be seeing A&E 🙈

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think that Grey plans to use his system for showering and it will not be hot enough for tea or else he might be seeing A&E 🙈

I understand that but I was primarily responding to dustydog and Jezzer. However, I feel sure that Grey may wish to bring said water to the boil at some point. 😁

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This is exactly what I said Dusty-we do drink it-no risk imo! Not sure why you've implied that I don't? I don't even purify the system after each hol-I put puriclean in the aquaroll and the wastemaster and drain down-that's it-I don't even bother running the shower any more than it takes to get the airlocks out-as Clive quite rightly says-not like a house shower when it sits there with water in-we drain down every time. And our aquaroll/onboard tank water always tastes great-without a Brita or any faffing with bottled water.
Jezzer
I was agreeing with you👍 A lot of people on here will not drink from their caravan taps. We do and will continue to do so😀

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I understand that but I was primarily responding to dustydog and Jezzer. However, I feel sure that Grey may wish to bring said water to the boil at some point. 😁

John
John, I know Gray, and he doesn't want to bring anything to the boil. He wants a nice long warm/hot shower, maybe 15 minutes and then nice shower for his wife as well.

Reactions: Grey13
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We drink from our caravan water system, here and in France, it't the dogs that complain if there is too much Chlorine in the water, i have had to buy bottled water for them. I now keep the Fire bucket full of water and the chlorine seeps off enough for the dogs to drink.

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Sit
We drink from our caravan water system, here and in France, it't the dogs that complain if there is too much Chlorine in the water, i have had to buy bottled water for them. I now keep the Fire bucket full of water and the chlorine seeps off enough for the dogs to drink.
Sitting in my van in Ludlow. After a few days where night time temps have dropped at times to 5 deg c and day time between 12 and 17 deg c I can report the system works like a charm. Without using a stop watch I would estimate shower lengths are about doubled. Remember the system is a prototype and will now be refined but for sure makes the cooler months showering a lot better. The missus washed her hair last night and came out the shower to say, I never ran out of comfortable hot / warm water at all. Back to the drawing board, i hsve some interesting mods in mind. BTW all it does is keep the Aquaroll water at 30 deg c. No hotter.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am about to fit a diesel heater to my garage and came across a variation of the heater I intend to fit.

Grey, I wondered if this would be of interest or perhaps it could be used in conjunction with, or be auxilliary to an existing water heating system.

Reactions: Grey13
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I bought one of the Lavaner diesel heaters for my workshop, it is up and running now and I am delighted overall with the unit.

I think that in the earlier part of the New Year the heater\water heater version will be available to purchase here, anyone who is working along the lines of Grey's project might want to consider this option.

AA PIC.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand the Lavaner unit is manufactured if not designed in China. If that is the case I doubt it has been inspected and tested for compliance with EU and UK regulations.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand the Lavaner unit is manufactured if not designed in China. If that is the case I doubt it has been inspected and tested for compliance with EU and UK regulations.
That company do market CE marked products and include EMC compatibility certification too. Whether the item of interest has been CE marked is not shown on the website.

Companies can self certify certain categories of equipment but in other cases independent certification is required. But once certified the manufacturer can the inspect and test the production items.

The link below describes the various categories.

https://keystonecompliance.com/ce-mark-self-certification/#:~:text=CE Mark Self Certification or CE Certification Self,groups directives for which manufacturers can self-certify include:

I am still surprised at the biased view taken of Chinese products. But I guess it echoes the view of Hong Kong and Japanese products in the 1960s. Chinese designed and made products are used extensively in global products from leading brands. My Alko mower has a splendid little Chinese engine. Five years on starts first time and apart from oil change and filter clean hasn’t required anything else. It wasn’t the Chinese that carried out dieselgate or Dysongate. 😱. There are good and bad in all manufacturing outputs across the world. China is still a developing economy but to one extent or another we have all benefitted significantly over the last 15 years or so.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are good and bad in all manufacturing outputs across the world. China is still a developing economy but to one extent or another we have all benefitted significantly over the last 15 years or so.
Unfortunately that is true and also to our detriment as we have found out recently. :-(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That company do market CE marked products and include EMC compatibility certification too. Whether the item of interest has been CE marked is not shown on the website.

I looked up the product and there was no mention of CE marking or other approvals, - hence my comment.

I am more than aware there are many Chinese companies who are producing highly competent world class products, but unfortunately there is a subculture of companies who target technical products and produce cheap substandard products and technically illegally apply a CE mark, or putting a mark that looks like a CE mark but does not conform to specific criteria for the mark.

Some of these products are far from safe. The man in the street has little chance of being able to verify when a product genuinely approved or not, so caution has to be used.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

So if a product is manufactured and\or designed in China you will by default doubt if it has been tested for compliance with EU and UK regulations; a consequence of the comment you just made is that you instil suspicion in some peoples minds as to the safety integrity of the product, and you do this without any evidence whatsoever.

I do wish you would keep your unsupported negative views to yourself, if you must comment then please contribute positively to the thread.

Products withe ECE Certificate

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So if a product is manufactured and\or designed in China you will by default doubt if it has been tested for compliance with EU and UK regulations; a consequence of the comment you just made is that you instil suspicion in some peoples minds as to the safety integrity of the product, and you do this without any evidence whatsoever.

I do wish you would keep your unsupported negative views to yourself, if you must comment then please contribute positively to the thread.

I am afraid the Prof is correct with his assessment as we have also be caught out with this false marking. We have found that a number of Chinese goods last about 11 months and then pack up.
We would prefer to pay a higher price for something that is going to last a couple of years or give value for money. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to buy something electrical that is not made in China.
Our Kampa air awning designed in the UK and manufactured in China was of poor quality that we got rid of it after 5 uses. Obviously there are some Chinese manufactures who have high standards but as a consumer it is nearly impossible to differentiate these companies from the fly by night cowboys!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I'm sorry hadn't realised I needed your approval to make a comment.

My views in this instance are based on professional experience, and based on seeing quite a number of Chinese branded products that do not meet UK safety standards.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry hadn't realised I needed your approval to make a comment.

My views in this instance are based on professional experience, and based on seeing quite a number of Chinese branded products that do not meet UK safety standards.
Calm down gents, everyone has a point of view and a forum is a platform from which to air them.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never really had any strong views about where an item is made as long as it works correctly, but recent events have changed my mind and I must say that I tend to agree that Chinese made items seem to be made of inferior quality parts.
SAM_0756-1.jpgSAM_0751-1.jpg
I bought my wife a mobility scooter back in August 2109 and since then it has only been used 5 times, on tarmac roadways from the car park at the local Crematorium to our Daughters grave site and back again to the car, but with the Covid restrictions over the time since March it has not been used and stored indoors but when I went to get it ready to use , I found that the motor and brake unit had seized up. The scooter has never been used when it was raining, or gone "off road" or through deep water.
The company who supply the scooter will not accept that it is a manufacturing defect which allows water to get inside the motor.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never really had any strong views about where an item is made as long as it works correctly, but recent events have changed my mind and I must say that I tend to agree that Chinese made items seem to be made of inferior quality parts.
View attachment 985View attachment 987
I bought my wife a mobility scooter back in August 2109 and since then it has only been used 5 times, on tarmac roadways from the car park at the local Crematorium to our Daughters grave site and back again to the car, but with the Covid restrictions over the time since March it has not been used and stored indoors but when I went to get it ready to use , I found that the motor and brake unit had seized up. The scooter has never been used when it was raining, or gone "off road" or through deep water.
The company who supply the scooter will not accept that it is a manufacturing defect which allows water to get inside the motor.

I hope that you are able to obtain some replacement parts for the scooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts