Are there any Caravan manufacturers who make a composite floor

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A composite floor may not be susceptible to damp, but that’s not to say water ingress cannot occur. In my experience damp affecting floors seems to be a far lower likelihood than damp affecting other places. Or are you thinking of the effects of water on the external surface of the floor.

Reactions: Tow to tow
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I believe that composite floors have been the norm for 20-plus years. Given the extra strength, stiffness, sound insulation, and thermal insulation, why wouldn't they? They certainly can suffer from damp, mine was widespread. But most likely getting in from the edges not penetrating upwards.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Tow to tow
Oct 27, 2021
Visit site
I cannot understand why caravan manufacturers insist on putting in wooden floors open to the elements such as salt water from spray off the road.
Our freedom has a wooden floor but the under side of the van is fibreglass and its like new 2010 but we would like a bigger van.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I cannot understand why caravan manufacturers insist on putting in wooden floors open to the elements such as salt water from spray off the road.
Our freedom has a wooden floor but the under side of the van is fibreglass and its like new 2010 but we would like a bigger van.
If caravan makers used the correct materials, wood just wouldn't be an issue - boats use marine-grade plywood with excellent results.

Oct 27, 2021
Visit site
Yes boats do use marine-grade plywood but on a boat it is treated paint or varnish each year, but you do not paint or varnish the bottom of a caravan or treat it each year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"Are there any Caravan manufacturers who make a composite floor"

No damp

I guess your asking if any manufacture makes a floor that cannot be damaged by damp? I believe all caravan floors are some form of composite, i.e. a mixture of materials, and usually at least one material is wood of some kind, and ultimately all wood if exposed to long term damp is likely to degrade.

The type of floor does not determine if a caravan will suffer from damp or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts