Are there any good front wheel drive towcars?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our old Volvo finally came to the end of the road last year and was replaced with a 2002 Vectra SRI 150 estate (2.2 petrol) bought on impulse from a neighbour. Its a nice sporty car (if you like that sort of thing!) but on our one and only outing with it towing the van I was disappointed. We only have a lightweight 2 berth and it coped ok but the performance was not exactly "sparkling" and now s.w.m.b.o. has decided that we need a bigger van but I am worried that the Vectra wont be up to it. Most worrying was the wheel spin I got on only a modest slope on dry grass. A diesel would obviously be more suitable because of the better torque and I have heard good reports of the Mondeo TDCI but, as front wheel drive is basically the wrong way round for towing, the question is are there any good front wheel drive towcars? Jim.

(p.s. standby for a deluge of 4x4 recommendations!)

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
J&P

I tow with a Volvo 850 tdi front wheel drive in total its done 150K miles, yes we have had a few problems but nothing to put me off getting the V70 D5 as my next tow car. I also like the 43miles per gallon solo and 30 ish towing. Front tires can need replacing more than you would expect from a rear wheel drive car as the front end is heavy. But can it pull!!

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi J&P

I have towed with both FWD and RWD cars and vans, and on the road there is little between both systems. It is only when the going becomes tougher such as on gravel hills that the difference start to show, but these are in general not that common and I would not be put off from buying a well specified FWD or RWD tug.

I would agree that Diesels are certainly more economical, and with the wider torque band less gear changing make for a more relaxing tow vehicle. There are some excellent diesels available these days, it just a shame that more of them are not automatics.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
plenty of good fwd cars for towing, take your pick from MPVs to

a vectra like you own with the 150 bhp diesel in it.

remember diesel fwd cars carry a good 75 to 100kg extra over the

front wheels, it helps a lot when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
plenty of good fwd cars for towing, take your pick from MPVs to

a vectra like you own with the 150 bhp diesel in it.

remember diesel fwd cars carry a good 75 to 100kg extra over the

front wheels, it helps a lot when towing.
Good point giovanni, I hadnt thought of that! The extra weight of the diesel plus the improved torque should make all the difference. Thanks, Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
J&P

I tow with a Volvo 850 tdi front wheel drive in total its done 150K miles, yes we have had a few problems but nothing to put me off getting the V70 D5 as my next tow car. I also like the 43miles per gallon solo and 30 ish towing. Front tires can need replacing more than you would expect from a rear wheel drive car as the front end is heavy. But can it pull!!

David
Thanks for your comment David. Our old 740 was a brilliant car, very reliable and easy to fix. We were a bit annoyed though, it only managed 210,000 miles before we retired it! Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi J&P

I have towed with both FWD and RWD cars and vans, and on the road there is little between both systems. It is only when the going becomes tougher such as on gravel hills that the difference start to show, but these are in general not that common and I would not be put off from buying a well specified FWD or RWD tug.

I would agree that Diesels are certainly more economical, and with the wider torque band less gear changing make for a more relaxing tow vehicle. There are some excellent diesels available these days, it just a shame that more of them are not automatics.
Thanks for your comment John L, I have never owned an automatic but I assume they make good towcars. Jim.

Nov 8, 2006
Visit site
Just come back from towing our Bessacarr with our Volvo S60 diesel auto, IMO the best tow car I've towed with. It towed on the motorway at 60 in 6th gear without a problem and returns over 40mpg solo, drags up steep hills with ease and got out of the CC Stanhope site without wheelspin. I find it very difficult to fault, the only problem is getting away from the storage site which is gravel and a steep start. It gets away but does spin the wheels, all other times no problems.

Kev

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your comment David. Our old 740 was a brilliant car, very reliable and easy to fix. We were a bit annoyed though, it only managed 210,000 miles before we retired it! Jim.
Jim

I know just how you feel. I would add the 850 tdi is not easy to work on hence the few problems we have had. But we have funds to change and her who I follow says its a good idea.

David

Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
When I started caravanning last year, I had a Vectra 2.0 Sri Hatchback. I pulled a midsize van all over. I uprated the rear springs using MAD stuff and found the car excellent. It wasnt the most powerfull thing but it did the job very well.

I have just updated it to the Mondeo TDCi and so far I think its a bit pants. Maybe I have a lemon, but the suspension is too soft and feels like the van is trying to push it sideways round the corners. It has the power, and I have ordered some heavy duty springs to see if that helps put I'm hopefull.

I want to change the mondeo for a last of line 02 reg vectra 2.2 dti estate (with MAD suspension) because I can only imagne that they are an excellent towcar.

This is only my opinion of mondeo, lots of other folks love and report excellent things about them - as I say I may a lemon!!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I used to tow a fairly large 'van with a Saab 900, FWD it certainly was, and one the best towcars ever made. Shame GM bought them over and burst a very nice bubble.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I started caravanning last year, I had a Vectra 2.0 Sri Hatchback. I pulled a midsize van all over. I uprated the rear springs using MAD stuff and found the car excellent. It wasnt the most powerfull thing but it did the job very well.

I have just updated it to the Mondeo TDCi and so far I think its a bit pants. Maybe I have a lemon, but the suspension is too soft and feels like the van is trying to push it sideways round the corners. It has the power, and I have ordered some heavy duty springs to see if that helps put I'm hopefull.

I want to change the mondeo for a last of line 02 reg vectra 2.2 dti estate (with MAD suspension) because I can only imagne that they are an excellent towcar.

This is only my opinion of mondeo, lots of other folks love and report excellent things about them - as I say I may a lemon!!
Oh dear, now I am confused! I had almost decided to sell the Vectra and get a Mondeo but now I am not so sure! We have some domestic probs (sick dog) which will prevent us going away for a while so I may put the whole thing on hold for now but I think I will look around for a decent diesel. Jim

Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
Oh dear, now I am confused! I had almost decided to sell the Vectra and get a Mondeo but now I am not so sure! We have some domestic probs (sick dog) which will prevent us going away for a while so I may put the whole thing on hold for now but I think I will look around for a decent diesel. Jim
If you want, we could do a swop!!!!

Your Vectra for my mondeo!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts