Armagedon

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
As the government is hell bent on the end of petrol and Diesel engines,have they given any thought to people who have hobbies that involve towing any kind of trailer?Evidentley not,you can't tow with an electric car,or,with a hybrid car,so,what are we all going to do?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
bode5997 said:
As the government is hell bent on the end of petrol and Diesel engines,have they given any thought to people who have hobbies that involve towing any kind of trailer?Evidentley not,you can't tow with an electric car,or,with a hybrid car,so,what are we all going to do?

Drivers who tow for a hobby are a small minority of the total who drive so it’s naive to expect government to give any real credence to your needs. Anyway hybrids are available that can tow. Not many as yet but more will come onto the market over the next few years. Just look at JLR and Volvo developments. I dare say my great grandfather was equally boot faced when he saw the new horseless carriages usurped his horse. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
'The Government' seem to have forgotten that they govern at the behest of us, they are elected by us to serve us, not the other way round.
They also seem to have forgotten that we can all vote, so if we all insist that our elected representatives abandon this ill thought out plot to save the world at the expense of British motorists and refuse to vote for the lunatics who have decided to reduce us all to glorified milk float owners or work serfs on bikes then perhaps they won't be so hell bent in future.
Write to your local MP and ask them what their stance is on this issue. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bode5997 said:

Hello Bode.
That is a very knee jerk reaction. As others have pointed out there are presently some options, and more will arise as time goes by. I personally believe the world of caravanning will change, lighter caravans will need to be developed, but also we are very likely to have re evaluate how we caravan, perhaps moving to a more continental approach such as setting a caravan in one location for a season. Only time will tell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
'The Government' seem to have forgotten that they govern at the behest of us, they are elected by us to serve us, not the other way round.
They also seem to have forgotten that we can all vote, so if we all insist that our elected representatives abandon this ill thought out plot to save the world at the expense of British motorists and refuse to vote for the lunatics who have decided to reduce us all to glorified milk float owners or work serfs on bikes then perhaps they won't be so hell bent in future.
Write to your local MP and ask them what their stance is on this issue. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hello Parksy

You have made a couple of common mistakes in your comment.

The Government does not answer to the population, it is her Majesties Government and that is why every Government enactment has to receive the Royal Ascent. The house of commons does not control the Government, it only moderates it by placing obsticals in the way the progress of a government white paper.

When we elect a candidate to parliament, we are appointing a representative, not lobbyist. That means they are not obliged to seek what is best for their constituents!

Having pointed out their legal position, if they want to be re_elected they would be daft to ignore the views of their constituents.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I bow to your superior knowledge Prof, HM Government is made up of ministers who occupy an even more tenuous grip on their exalted position than backbenchers.
Nevertheless all MPs (with the possible exception of the Speaker) are obliged to persuade the electorate that they are worthy of our collective vote at least once every five years.
Michael Portillo and Ed Balls amongst others are both ex- ministers who are testament to the fact that the lumpen masses can be fickle creatures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy and Prof,
The “official” Mission statement of an MP is cast in stone and Hansard:
The UK public elects 650 Members of Parliament (MPs) to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons. MPs consider and propose new laws, and can scrutinise government policies by asking ministers questions about current issues either in the Commons Chamber or in Committees.
Back to the OP.
He raises a very valid point.
I’d like to change my tug but don’t know what to buy, fuel wise, at the moment.
There are ongoing threats that diesels will be banned or heavily charged for using City centres.
Diesels old and new will be more heavily taxed and fuel will be punitively increased in cost.
Current petrol vehicles are not the best of tugs.
Hybrids are debatable on performance and economy. The latest Volvo XC90 is recorded by the motoring press at 16mpg towing.
Until this current Government make up their minds and Brexit is finalised I shall stick with what I’ve got for say two more years. Retrospective Government decisions don’t sit well with me B)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In 20 years time I will be 91 so the question is a bit academic for me. As I see it we will be several governments down the line and technology will have made what we have now mostly museum pieces. Nothing that has been anounced for then is set in stone so we may as well just get on with things and hope for the best.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
...Hybrids are debatable on performance and economy. The latest Volvo XC90 is recorded by the motoring press at 16mpg towing....

The Volvo is very disappointing with its IC mpg. It would be wrong to judge the concept of hybrids just on that particular example. It is by any standards a potent vehicle which given any form of fuel will probably have relatively poor mpg.

I am fairly certain the car manufacturers will be looking for better hybrid and implementations and alternative solutions.

Oh! and when we elect MP's we do so on the basis of their manifesto and party politics, not our personal needs or wishes for our parliament. They are charged with using their own judgment on how to vote on bills, though more often than not they are told how to vote by their political parties, not their constituents.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
......Oh! and when we elect MP's we do so on the basis of their manifesto and party politics, not our personal needs or wishes for our parliament. They are charged with using their own judgment on how to vote on bills, though more often than not they are told how to vote by their political parties, not their constituents.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny how the manifesto suddenly changes when the politicians feel threatened though isn't it Prof?
Tory MPs felt under threat from a very significant surge in support for UKIP, so in a bid to cement party unity and to stave off the UKIP threat Cameron agreed to hold a referendum on EU membership, and he confidently expected a Remain vote.
There would never have been an EU referendum unless popular support had demanded one.
This lot have said that they want to ban ICE's within the next 20 years.
They would only ever be able to do such a thing with the consent of the electorate, no matter how it's dressed up.
There are many more motorists than there are members of any political party, and politically independent lobby groups such as Fair Fuel UK have been setting the agenda on fuel excise duties for the past few years now.
I'm unlikely to still be driving in 20 years time but the overall number of motorists are unlikely to significantly decrease.
Unless there are proven viable and affordable alternatives to fossil fuel engines at the time I don't foresee British motorists unilaterally sacrificing their freedom, independence and mobility by order of any government when less developed economies and the USA continue to burn fossil fuels at a prodigious rate.
It would be a very brave or foolhardy government that defied the wishes of such a large lobby group who will be even more connected via social media in 20 years time than we are at present.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts