Arriving At Bilbao

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I've heard that coming off the ferry at Bilbao can be a bit hair raising as the traffic can be a bit mannic. Has anyone had any problems once they have come off - finding their way etc.

Thanks

Gill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, you're right - sorry. Once you come off the ferry there's a drive through the docks for half a mile or so. Then there's a roundabout or two then you hit the traffic - and it's usually very busy, particularly around the time when the ferry gets in. That's the bad news !

Having said all that we've done it a few times now and never had any problems. Do your homework before leaving home and know clearly in advance where you are heading for - look down the map and note the places en route to get you well clear of Bilbao - then follow the signs as it's well signposted. The traffic is fairly slow so you have a bit of time to react when you see your turnoffs signposted. We don't find the Spanish traffic too threatening and most drivers will be reasonably tolerant of hesitant 'foreigners'

Finally, last year we used a TomTom Sat Nav - and it's great. It's so easy to set up and follow the route. My usual 'navigator' has been 'retired'

Have a great holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We left that Bilbao ferry at about 0830 one Monday in April 2000, and it was my first time towing abroad. The plod through the dock area is useful for orientation (very cheap diesel available on the dock road) and the signposts to the motorway must have been OK because we got there without any problems.

A few years later, having done Calais, St Malo and Dunkerque I would say that Bilbao is no worse than any other port. Calais is the easiest because of the road layout and immediate access to dual carriageway, but Bilbao was very manageable.

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
We arrived back at Bilbao last Thursday 22nd. The ferry was late so we actually disembarked at around 11am. I don't know if that made a difference but I found the drive to the motorway very straighforward and far less hair raising than negotiating the M20/25 etc when we have used the Calais/ Dover route.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
I've just checked my previous reply and notice I didn't have much to say!

We arrived at Bilbao last year and found nothing worth noting about leaving the port - no problem at all.

The problem we experienced was on the way back - we missed turnoff to the port and ended up in the middle of Bilbao with 2 hours before sailing.

Fortunately we made it in time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts