Arriving late evening problems

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
A few times this coming year, we need to set off from up North, to head down South. We cant set off till 18.30 and want to do at least 2 hours drive before stopping for the night - problem is, the caravan club sites we use wont allow such late arrivals, and although there is one sight in Birmingham we have used as an overnight stop previously, the CC now says we cant book it - just got to turn up and hope there's a spot in the late arrivals area.
What do others do for late stop overs?
Thanks again in advance, Neil

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi, using CL's is a good idea there are several along the M5 and the more basic the better after all you wont be there long enough to matter comming from yorkshire down to devon/cornwall as we do find the best way is to stop around bristol or weston super mare
depending on how you feel and the distance you like to cover before stopping
for us it is about 8 to 10hrs journey and often set off at 10 or 11pm and do it it in one go using 2 hrs stops at the services providing the site is available for a early arrival get there around 10am,
ps, I have never seen the point in arriving late on a one night stander and had to pay a site fee for parking outside the gate in a car park
only did this once the office was closed (so no shower key or EHU) and was charged £12 for the privalidge next morning, never again.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I would agree that CL's would be a better bet. Having said that I prefer an early start. Left ERY at four minutes past 5 the thursday before the bank hols and arrived in N Devon 7 and a half hours later with 2 stops (330 miles). Still made the pub for lunch after putting the awning up etc and then on to grannies for tea.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I would delay the start time of your journey untill about 23.30 and do it in one hit overnight you could get your head down for a few hours before setting out you would also miss the friday night traffic you may need to stop en route but that would be the case no matter what time you travelled.

I have done this quite a few times and find it works really well.

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Neil
Where will a two hour drive take you?
How late do you intend turning up?

Leaving on a Thursday evening at approx 18-45 from Manchester, a 2 hour drive usually puts us south of Birmingham on M40 or M5. Will have a look at the CL's around that region. Many thanks.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to throw in my two pennyworth, when Herself was fitter and we could do long hauls, we very often used to go to bed around 7pm, arise at 2pm and set off. This got us to our destination generally around breakfast time, which was great as someone would have cooked brekkie for us! We also gained a day, as having slept the evening before, we could cope without more rest as long as we had an early night on site. Mind you, we were also a lot younger!
It meant that we could have a genuine 5 day rally, as we did the same on return.
Now, sadly, it takes us three days to get from herer to Cumbria!

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
First thing- CC and C sites let you arrive up to 10 p.m. as long as you have checked with the manager. A CL I know on M40 is Burton Farm near Gaydon. Go off at one junction down a main road to CL, next morning carry on down that road to the next junction. CC and C sites at Clent and Wolverly are just south of Birmingham and easy from the M5.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Neil E said:
Dustydog said:
Neil
Where will a two hour drive take you?
How late do you intend turning up?
Leaving on a Thursday evening at approx 18-45 from Manchester, a 2 hour drive usually puts us south of Birmingham on M40 or M5. Will have a look at the CL's around that region. Many thanks.
There is a very nice CL with a washroom and shower not far from the junction of M5 and M50 at Ripple. Pub with food about 1 mile away. Speak to Mr Barnes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts