Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, my caravan sold as per previous thread and buyer turned up today and paid in full, I’m now gonna start looking for replacement and I’ve a few must haves I’ve also mentioned, I have been wondering about the merits of ATC and what sort of price I’d expect to pay to have ATC retro fitted? Any ideas anyone?

BP

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Had it on our Avondale, didn't on our Pegasus-didn't ever feel we missed it-rock solid tow but then you don't I suppose unless things start swaying-they never did. And we did have plenty of 'idiot'moments. I know it is around £400 option on some caravans when new but not sure re retrofit; if you are buying a Rimini I'd try it without or negotiate a deal with the dealer..Hide s head under parapet as the very safety conscious will say any addition in terms of safety is worth it whatever and I would agree to an extent, but it also adds something that can go wrong. Is it worth it above a new set of tyres if those fitted are ageing etc-you have to prioritise-same with buying a car-I didn't pay for the driver assist package on our Mini-but I ride a motorbike with 110bhp and no safety aids whatsoever.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
On one of our vans, the Bailey I think. Normally quite steady just feeling the ATC occasionally. It went into a frightening snake on the M25. I think the ATC did help.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Simple answer: if its got it fitted then use it, if it hasn't don't worry.

In 8 years of caravans (2) with ATC fitted I have never felt it work once but, like insurance, its good to know its there if you ever need it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ATC is like seat belts and air bags, if you load and drive sensibly and defensively you should never need these items to work.

What you can't always avoid is other road users who misbehave and involve you in some sort of unnecessary event, that's when having some of these safety aids may come into their own.

Is it worth having ATC fitted - you will never know if or until you need it. But having it may give you greater peace of mind, and at least it does have proven effectiveness unlike some products like tyre bands which use fear to relieve punters of their money.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Simple answer: if its got it fitted then use it, if it hasn't don't worry.

Simple answer: if it has not got it fitted then get it, if it has then enjoy cheaper insurance and greater security.

I've felt the ATC tug on many occasions, leaving a roundabout for example, and it's reassuring that the van has that extra level of safety built in.
I don't understand why anyone would not find ATC a benefit - Would those same people happily tow a van without a modern hitch?
We all know a van should be stable to begin with but every little extra helps.
I fail to see why anything that improves safety is not used where possible.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have felt mine operate after I had overtaken an HGV , and the van went into a huge sway, two swings and the ATC straightened the van. Well worth the money otherwise my £23 K van would have been a write of and probably the car and wither or both of us as well.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The unit is an additional safety feature. Most people will never need it, but at the same time it might save your life in extreme cases. You have to weigh up the cost against the additional security of the out fit and decide if you feel the cost is justified.
Bailey suggest £425 as a dealer fit on Phoenix 640, so you should be looking for a price in that region to fit it.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm a bit confuddled, is ATC same as the Intelligent Drive Control on the Elddis?

When I hook up and plug in, you can hear it whirling away, as it links into my outlander's SWC system that controls all the guppings of my breaking system. It will talk with my car to provide necessary breaking of the caravan, controlling the breaks to prevent snaking!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm a bit confuddled, is ATC same as the Intelligent Drive Control on the Elddis?

When I hook up and plug in, you can hear it whirling away, as it links into my outlander's SWC system that controls all the guppings of my breaking system. It will talk with my car to provide necessary breaking of the caravan, controlling the breaks to prevent snaking!

Exactly that. No idea if one is better than the other but ATC is the most common as most vans have the Alko chassis. ATC works independently from the car except for the power supply. I don’t know if the Intelligent Drive Control system is more sophisticated. I doubt it as it would restrict sales.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The noise that you hear when you couple up to the car is the ATC/IDC imitating itself. Apart from power from the car both work independently of the car and sense Caravan yaw movements which if they exceed a pre determined limit the ATC/IDC will activate the caravan brakes using servos to apply the respective brakes to counter the yaw, or swing.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
The noise that you hear when you couple up to the car is the ATC/IDC imitating itself. Apart from power from the car both work independently of the car and sense Caravan yaw movements which if they exceed a pre determined limit the ATC/IDC will activate the caravan brakes using servos to apply the respective brakes to counter the yaw, or swing.

And the question you need to ask yourselves (those who think the system a waste of money) is EXACTLY as Clive describes - a system that uses servos to apply the appropriate braking to the wheels of a caravan to counter a yaw or swing.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It simply acts on both wheels-not either one according to need-the mere braking effect controls the sway but it does do that if it senses the van swaying-not as sophisticated as as talking to the car either-and you cannot in my knowledge switch it off but if it fails you have to get under the van and undo the actuating bolt I think but as above have said-if it is there it cannot be anything other than a good thing and you have to decide if it is worth it to you. Get on the alko website and watch the videos-it can only be a good thing in terms of safety and will probably eventually become legal standard fit-just as abs on cars, but we managed before abs and some of still do-nice to have though!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts