Attaching caravan to car

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
My caravan is kept on my drive we have to pull it out onto road to get it on tow bar cause theirs not enough room to get car into drive the problem is once it's out onto road it's on a downward hill and jockey wheel doesn't take caravan high enough to hitch it on so it's quite difficult any ideas how to make this easier.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had a similar problem and the only answer we could come up with is a mover. They may look expensive but once you have one you will never want to be without it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some times you have to wind the jockey wheel right down to raise the caravan, , then lower the front stays so they take the weight of the caravan, wind the jockey wheel back up. Lower the jockey wheel again. Then wind the jockey wheel down again to raise the caravan high enough to hitch up, remember to apply the caravan brakes to stop it rolling away.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Some times you have to wind the jockey wheel right down to raise the caravan, , then lower the front stays so they take the weight of the caravan, wind the jockey wheel back up. Lower the jockey wheel again. Then wind the jockey wheel down again to raise the caravan high enough to hitch up, remember to apply the caravan brakes to stop it rolling away.

Close but no cigar Hutch :p
After lowering the front steadies to support the caravan (NB don't use the steadies to raise the caravan) place a wooden block or similar under the jockey wheel to raise the hitch high enough to reach the towball.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally on the raising the hitch question I would go with Hutch, only on the basis that sometimes you might have to move the caravan to the side or when hitching, so if the jockey wheel is on a block it may come off it.

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I use the same technique as Hutch. My initial reaction to Parksy's method was "why did I not think of that?" - but on reflection it would only work if the car is manoeuvred to the caravan, whereas if you've just moved the van from the drive on the motor mover, it's more likely you will be moving the van onto the car.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I remove the jockey wheel when travelling, and initially I had a faff about in getting the jockey wheel to raiselower the caravan to the correct height after I had refitted the jockey wheel to the caravan.

I made a mental note that if I refit the jockey wheel (inner tube fully retracted) with the mainouter tube positioned 5" (125mm) approx below the underside of the clamp, no further faffing is required :) .

Different jockey wheelscaravan clamp mounts may require that you have to determine the optimal position for your own setup.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
mogarage said:
I use the same technique as Hutch. My initial reaction to Parksy's method was "why did I not think of that?" - but on reflection it would only work if the car is manoeuvred to the caravan, whereas if you've just moved the van from the drive on the motor mover, it's more likely you will be moving the van onto the car.
I must confess that my method was borne out of a difference in height between the caravan hitch on our drive on the rare occasions that the caravan is back from our storage place, and the vehicle towbar on the road. I had to reverse the car to the hitch until a just a few weeks ago when I finally had a motor mover fitted and my problem was solved because I can take the caravan to a level area to hitch up.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
mogarage said:
I must confess that my method was borne out of a difference in height between the caravan hitch on our drive on the rare occasions that the caravan is back from our storage place, and the vehicle towbar on the road. I had to reverse the car to the hitch until a just a few weeks ago when I finally had a motor mover fitted and my problem was solved because I can take the caravan to a level area to hitch up.

So Parksy, do I get my Chocolate cigar from the "Old Juniors Smokers Kit " we got as kids. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts