Attempting to use obtuse "tongue in cheek" in jokes in comments

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over the last few weeks there have been a number of threads where there has been some serious and fruitful discussions. Bearing in mind the subject matters some of which have involved questions of engineering and lawfulness. it is not helped when members attempt to use obtuse humour in such a way that it is not obvious.

Perpetrators should bear in mind that we only have the written words in front of us, we cant see the sly smile you may wear when you post it. Such comments don't necessarily stand out, becasue from time to time we do get some genuine questions or comments that are as naive as these seem to be. Often they serve to confuse the thread and create unnecessary correspondence which extends and diverts the thread.

I'm not against humour, but it should be made very very clear, and a single smiley face is not enough to convey the intention.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I admit I'm not here quite as often as you but would appreciate a specific example or two if that's possible.
Whilst I'm sure your perspective has great value it seems to me that others should at least understand what it is that's been "diverting" and "confusing" threads.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surely a smiley has to be sufficient, that's what smileys are for - the suggestion that more than one is needed doesn't seem to make sense.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Over the last few weeks there have been a number of threads where there has been some serious and fruitful discussions. Bearing in mind the subject matters some of which have involved questions of engineering and lawfulness. it is not helped when members attempt to use obtuse humour in such a way that it is not obvious.

Perpetrators should bear in mind that we only have the written words in front of us, we cant see the sly smile you may wear when you post it. Such comments don't necessarily stand out, becasue from time to time we do get some genuine questions or comments that are as naive as these seem to be. Often they serve to confuse the thread and create unnecessary correspondence which extends and diverts the thread.

I'm not against humour, but it should be made very very clear, and a single smiley face is not enough to convey the intention.

Provided no forum rules are contravened, I for one would prefer for others to continue to convey themselves however they choose, subject if necessary to intervention from the site moderators who do a very good job of keeping the community sprit alive.

I’m not quite sure in what capacity you‘re acting with this one, but given your obvious dissatisfaction with the above, one possible solution could be for you to start your own forum, one where you could grant yourself the authority to instruct others on exactly how they must conduct themselves, particularly when and where you will allow them to use humour.

Perpetrator: A person who carries out a harmful, illegal or immoral act.

As for those whose comments serve to confuse a thread and create unnecessary correspondence which extends and diverts the thread, I really have nothing more to say on that one ! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: ( 2 smilies, just in case !)

Reactions: JezzerB

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Prof. Not entirely clear what you are objecting to: I am sure that at least some who use humour do not mean it to be obtuse. I hope that you are reassured by the fact that we are lucky to have very active and hard working mods who clamp down quickly when thIngs take an unfortunate turn. This proactive modding makes this a far more pleasant place to be than some other forums where petty point scoring is prevelant.
mel

Reactions: Parksy and JezzerB

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please let me be very clear and say that the topic raised and its content of the first post are entirely the view of the OP and not myself or Parksy.

We have no problem with however anyone posts, we are not grammar police, punctuation police or any other form of policing what people write unless it breaks Forum Rules.

Yes, people do post what may be construed as "obtuse humour" and yes people do get fed up having basically the same apparently "expert" replies churned out time and time again.

I will admit that as far as safety is concerned I may be accused of pushing the message somewhat forcefully, but I have seen the results of bad diy jobs and the misery it can cause.

Of course we could revert to no posts posted until approved by either of us Moderators, but that would make asking a question and getting an answer very long winded and very disjointed.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I find some posts can be funny and some questions are almost laughable due to questions being asked in such a school boy manner it would be easy to think they are actually joking, I do think though that we have 2 moderators who do a great job of doing exactly what a moderator is supposed to do and that is to moderate, I think the moderating should be left to them and if it becomes a free for all whereby everyone who chooses to take offence or seeks to protect the rest of us from posts we don’t need protecting from, of we need protecting then I’m sure the moderators will do so. Let’s face it humour makes for a happy life, there’s far to much doom and gloom.

BP

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Have you nominated yourself as the the third mod Prof?
If so you have approached it at the wrong (obtuse) angle!!!

And if you didn't get it ........................thats my kind of humour.
Just saying like :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
We have no problem with however anyone posts, we are not grammar police, punctuation police or any other form of policing what people write unless it breaks Forum Rules.

........ I no longer give any form of advice or help on this forum after a severe reprimand from yourself ( Damian).
I was told that you are the expert when it comes to technical matters concerning caravans and that I should not post alternative help to a poster's problem since you had already given your advice.
My posting in no way criticised your advice, it just put forward an alternative solution and you obviously took exception to this despite the fact that my advice
was technically correct as was yours.

For me we should all be equal on this forum and it is a shame that some posters think they are more equal than others and that empowers them to impose their point of view and criticise others.
I have no problem with moderators upholding the actual rules of this forum.

You are not a perpetrator if you attempt to use humour in a post as was written and implied by the OP.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
All that I will add to this discussion is that if anyone feels insulted or belittled by any forum post that they feel is aimed at them, please use the 'report' button to make your point to Damian or myself and we'll be happy to look at what's been written and to take action if need be.
This action won't invariably lead to deletions or reprimands, quite
often mediation to resolve the inevitable misunderstandings which can occur on internet forums is all that's needed.
It's not unusual for nuances to be missed in written text, humour can be subjective so if humour is intended to be conveyed it might be helpful to indicate that this is so rather than calling out or shaming a person who missed the humourous intent after the post was submitted.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
The sun is shining. Summer has not yet left us. We can use our caravans and motor-homes with impunity.

Let's not forget that as well as these obvious blessings (Ok,ok maybe not the sun) we are fortunate to belong to a forum where the moderators play an active roll and 99% of contributions are made with honest intent.

If some one posts something that riles then maybe we should cast our minds back to the many posts that have caused no offence and added to the value of this forum.

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts