Audi A4 2.0 TDI (140)

Jun 27, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone out there tow with an Audi A4 2.0 TDI saloon? If so, what weight of caravan do you tow, and how does it cope, mpg, etc.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Emlyn,

I don't tow with the saloon but I do tow with the estate, my version is:- A4 Avant 2.0 TDi (140) Auto S line, with factory fitted towing equipment. stats are as follows;

Kerbside weight of car = 1618kg

Caravan, Bailey Senator Series 5 Indiana 1500kg max

Solo MPG = 43

towing MPG = 24

Only "problems" encountered, 1, auto box likes to cruise in 6th gear so I manually overide it into 7th gear. 2. keeping the speed of the outfit down! The engine is such a willing workhorse & so quiet you have to keep a watcfull eye on the speed, so much so that I now set the car & the Road angel's speed alarms to remind me.

Not found a hill yet that has caused a substantial drop in speed.

GeorgeB

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We have found our S-max is actually 7% more economical (solo)in 5th rather than 6th even at 80 mph so, especially with a caravan on the back you are probably better off in a lower gear

Jun 27, 2006
Visit site
Emlyn,

I don't tow with the saloon but I do tow with the estate, my version is:- A4 Avant 2.0 TDi (140) Auto S line, with factory fitted towing equipment. stats are as follows;

Kerbside weight of car = 1618kg

Caravan, Bailey Senator Series 5 Indiana 1500kg max

Solo MPG = 43

towing MPG = 24

Only "problems" encountered, 1, auto box likes to cruise in 6th gear so I manually overide it into 7th gear. 2. keeping the speed of the outfit down! The engine is such a willing workhorse & so quiet you have to keep a watcfull eye on the speed, so much so that I now set the car & the Road angel's speed alarms to remind me.

Not found a hill yet that has caused a substantial drop in speed.

GeorgeB
Thanks George,

I tow a Bailey Pageant Burgundy (mptlm 1400kgs)with a VW Passat Saloon 2.0 sport Petrol, and people tell me that a diesel engine with higher torque would be better for towing. I am looking at the Audi A4 2.0 TDI Saloon , or possibly a compact 4x4 SUV such as the new Honda CRV 2.2 diesel(which looks quite nice). I'm not sure what the small 4x4 would be like for normal motoring (i.e. whilst not towing)? But would the Audi A4 saloon be a bit small and light for towing 1400kgs?

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Emlyn,

The A4 2.0 TDi saloon or estate would be great for towing your Burgundy, just check out the "correct" unladen weight for the car, as the weights given in Towsure etc are WRONG! these weights are supplied by Audi AG (Germany) but they are for a base model 1.6 manual, as supplied in Germany, with absolutely no extras!

For example, Towsure rate my A4 as 1510 kg but it is actually 1618 kg.

GeorgeB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts