Audi A4, Volvo V70, Mercedes C220, VW Passat all automatic

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks

I have posted numerous times and have always had good replies so I thought I would post again.

I am looking at getting a new tow car but I need an automatic, diesel and estate.

I have looked at all the cars listed above and they all have good points and bad so I am looking for any feedback from owners of these cars to help me with my choice.

I have £10k to spend and I just missed out on an S line Audi A4 but to be honest there are more out there.

I need the estate as I need a lot of space in the boot and as I am wheelchair dependent my wheelchair gets put in the boot when someone is with me.

I do a lot of miles with work so diesel is far better for me economy wise and not just for towing.

The only thing that puts me off the Passat is the DSG gearbox but to be honest I am finding it difficult to get a great deal of feedback on this. I posted a while ago about the DSG gearbox but only got a couple of replies, one good and one that was not so.

Any information appreciated on any of the cars above.

Thanks

Dougy

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Dougy

I have a Volvo V70 2006 model auto great towcar the only downside I hve is the 17 inch wheels give it a very poor turning circle best compared with a lorry. that aside a great towcar.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Dougy,

A4 auto 1.9 or 2.litre TDI comes with a Multitronic auto box, if you're looking at any that have done 40K or is over 4 years old check to see if the auto box oil has been changed....if not walk away from it! the multitronic gearboxes have a history of failure, take the chassis number (located in a small viewing window on the front scrteen just below the passenger wiperblade) & go to an Audi dealer & ask them to check the service history for you & also ask if its the 6 or seven plate clutch unit gearbox...ALWAYS go for the 7 plate one!

Having said that I towed with A4 auto's as my company car from 2003 to 2009, towing a 1500kg van, it's an excelent stable tow car but towing mpg is around the 23mpg mark, solo up in the mid 40's

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks folks

Very interesting replies and as always, very welcomed.

Great information about the auto box on the Audi George and something I will be checking for sure if this is what I decide on.

I have looked at a few Audi's and I like them but the boot space is a little on the small side compared to my Mazda that I own just now but I can live with this.

David, is your auto Volvo the geartronic model? I have seen different variations it seems on the auto box and I am unsure which is which and if one would be better than the other.

Dougy

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Dougy

Yes my V70 is the geartronic 6 speed. its very smooth and is a dream towing especially in heavy traffic. solo I get about 38mpg towing 28/29. well pleased with it despite the poor turning circle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of different auto boxes out there. Some are conventional autos with a torque convertor and so no clutch slip and wear in heavy traffic or when pitching the van. I think that these are the best for towing. The Volvo geartronic is conventional. So are the Ford Mondeo, BMW,C5 etc. There have been reported problems with DSG type boxes and whilst most are VAG, Ford have now started to use them. These are really mechanical boxes with a twin clutch arrangement. There is the Audi CVT which I gather is a poor performer. Wikepedia has a good section on gearboxes and links the proprietary names with the actual type. Best to check any choice out with the manufacturers technical section.

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
We towed a Lunar Lexon for almost 5 years with a 53 V70 auto, the 165 bhp model. Towing with an auto was a breeze and it returned about 25 mpg towing and up to 40 mpg solo. As mentioned previously, it has the turning circle of an oil tanker, which can be a pain when parking in tight spaces. We changed as wear and tear seemed to become too obvious even though it had only done 60k. When the paint on the plastic trim started to bubble at 4 yrs old and Volvo wouldn't do anything about it we changed to a Mercedes auto estate, but we haven't had it long enough to really comment on reliabilty and we haven't towed more than acouple miles with it. Mind you, that'll change next week - off to County Kerry.

Hope the info is useful,

Tillman

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks guys for the replies

I am actually going to see a V70 tomorrow. It is an 05 plate with a full service history so I will see what it has to offer.

It is competitively priced and has a towbar already on it. I have been assured by the dealer that it has never towed as the towbar is one of the detachable ones and the neck of the bar is still in its original wrapper. I will make the call tomorrow.

I will keep you posted and many thanks for all the comments

Dougy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

Just in case the Volvo doesn't turn out to be the car of your dreams Dougy, can I put a word in for a derivative of one of your chosen bunch, and, in addition, expound a bit on the Audi multitronic gearbox.

I have an Audi A6 estate with such a gearbox.

I bought it third hand three years ago when it had mid 50's mileage.At about 76,000 it started to give a little shudder on accelerating from near standing starts (Give Ways, Roundabouts, that sort of thing). I got into a right worry thinking about the

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Just home after towing a new Sprite Alpine 4 with a Audi A4 FSI quatro with a tip-tronic box.Totally amazed to be honest, hardly knew the car van was there. Went 500 mile up hill and down and the Audi never made a squeak. Well impressed

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks

I thought I should let you know my progress and it is progress.

I have actually purchased a second hand Volvo V70 2.4 DS

I have not towed with it yet as I only picked it up on Friday but I have to say that I am thoroughly pleased with my new car.

On the way up the motorway from where I bought it I was sitting at about 67 mph and according to the information panel it was returning 46.9 mpg and when I have been using it around town the last few days it has been sitting at 44 mpg.

I don't know how accurate this is but if it continues I will be over the moon.

Thanks to everyone who replied as all replies were very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dougy

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Dougy

I am sure you will not regret your V70. re MPG I checked mine and the on board computer was spot on.I was given a piece of advise that I pass on to you . watch the right foot you have a powerful engine and it can spin the front wheels with ease Tyree wear will not be good. Local police get 6k miles my first set did 10k current ones have done 16k and still have more to go .

G

Congratulations on joining the Volvo Club. There is an Owners Club and Forum if you are interested.

www.volvoclub.org.uk

Also just ensure you have Nivomat shockers fitted as they make the rear suspension level when towing. You may also wish to explore what towbar you need. Volvo do a good one, but expensive. However, it does allow all the dashboard symbols to work.

Also I do not know your mileage but change the timing belt any time after about 50-60k. I know Volvo state 90k but be safe, not sorry.

By the way, did you reset your mpg readout before your trip as it averages back to the start. I often forget and get unusual numbers. Expect to get about 25 mpg towing.

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys

Thanks for the information about my new car.

The car has relatively new tyres on it so I am hoping they will last a fair but longer.

At the last service which was done at a main Volvo agent the car got new brake pads and four new tyres and this was less than 10,000 miles ago.

I have been using a forum for Volvo owners and have found it interesting and I was able to source a couple of bits and pieces that I wanted to get. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php

The car had a Volvo tow bar already fitted to it but it has never been used. The car was a demonstrator and then owned privately where it was maintained regardless of cost it would seem. I did speak to the previous owner who has the car from 8000 miles and he said he never towed with it. The tow bar is the detachable kind and the ball is still in its bag and still brand new. It only has a single seven pin socket on it that I am going to change for the Volvo one so that all the dashboard lights work as they should. This is cheaper than I thought so I don't mind putting that on.

I did reset the trip computer on the way home and the mileage was pretty good and I have done so a couple of times now to make sure I was right. From my house to work it is 22 miles and according to the trip computer I am getting around 45 on average fuel consumption. The majority of the journey is on the motorway hence this figure. I have reset it three times for this same journey to make sure and it has been roughly the same so I can't complain.

I have really enjoyed the car and I look forward to see it it will tow in the next couple of weeks.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Dougy

G

Glad all is working well.

When they change the tow socket make sure they insert the relay in the rear fuse box for the fridge. Volvo forgot?? to do mine and I kept wondering why the fridge did not work on 12 volt. They did apologise.

The tow hitch in the bag is great and easy to use, but it will get the bag, and you dirty pretty quick. Carry a towel or a pair of gloves unless you want dirty hands.

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks Scotch Lad. I am going to get the kit from a dealer on the forum in my previous message and I can get the relay from him too.

It is Volvo parts so there should not be any problems.

I take you point about the bag for the hitch and I will get a towel to wrap it in.

Thanks

Dougy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts