Audi A5 2.0 TDI S line cabriolert 160bhp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI
Has anyone had any experience towing with this audi A5 2.0 tdi cabriolet or similar. I love caravaning but always had a hankering for a cabriolet so was wondering if i could have my cake and eat it. At the moment im towing with a Vw passat estate 19 tdi highline 130 bhp 2004 which ive found to be a decent towcar. Now looking to change cars in march so thought id give the A5 some thought. Id probably be looking at something around 2010 or there abouts. I've tried looking on towcar info but they don`t have this exact model so I've used the equivalent A5 coupe which came out at 74%. I know i wouldn't be able to carry much in the car as with my passat i tend to carry the awning chairs ect in the car so more weight in the van. My van is a 2013 Sprite major 4FB miro 1148 mtplm 1343. Any Thoughts pros n cons would be appreciated.
Ps
Im Also considering the 2.0tdi mondeo and kia sportage, although im going off the kia somewhat after reading posts on here and elsewhere.
Thanks Richard W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

I cant tell you about the Audi, but you mention you have been unable to find tow capacities for the model you are interested in. I need to point out that for many years all new cars sold in the EU have to have a whole vehicle type approval. this is a legal requirement and it consists of range of specific vehicle specifications for each particular model and variation.

The Type approval also includes the manufacturers towed weight limit for the model. Not every model is permitted to tow a trailer.It the type approval does not list a towed weight limit, then its not permitted to tow.

Due to the loss of a roof structure, a cabriolet may not have the necessary body strength to tow, so its possible the model you want is not allowed to tow. Its issues like this that means you cannot simply apply the limit a related model has it must be specifically the model you are looking for.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Have a look here Richard:
https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/audi/a5/towing-weight-limit/
scroll down to your particular model...it should give you a good start on your research, but it would be worthwhile contacting Audi or their authorised representative for more definitive answers.

In the meantime...Happy Caravanning
Regards
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By all means use the site that Paws has suggested, but bear in mind that ALL third party information sights will contain errors, and as you can never know if yours are right or wrong, you should always check with the manufacturer -

AND if towing capacity is feature you are looking for make it absolutely clear in writing at the time of ordering with towing figure you have got from the manufacturer, then if the model delivered has a smaller towing capacity (and we have had a contributor where this happened) you have a perfectly legal reason under the CRA to reject the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi and thanks profJohn & paws for input.
Will do more checking & will probably ring & talk Audi to. I Have come across forums & websites that give towing weights and limits for this car so looks promising. Will also check log book for towing limits when & if get round to buying one
Thanks Richard w

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RichardW1 said:
Hi and thanks profJohn & paws for input.
Will do more checking & will probably ring & talk Audi to. I Have come across forums & websites that give towing weights and limits for this car so looks promising. Will also check log book for towing limits when & if get round to buying one
Thanks Richard w

Don't do it after purchase - Do it before! and if it doesn't offer what you are looking for walk away because you will regret it and lose money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts