Audi A6 Avant as tow car?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My understanding is that all their conventional estates have been dropped due to minimal sales volume but the XC crossover versions are still on sale - these are "just" conventional estates with raised suspension and some macho body cladding - much like the Subaru Outback compared to the Subaru Legacy estate - and the Audi Allroad compared to the Audi Avant.
I had a V90 Cross Country/XC as a courtesy car a few times, as you say, other than slightly raised suspension, different bumpers AND a hefty price tag, they didn't do anything that my standard V90 did.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think they still make them but not importing to the UK anymore. To be honest although I like the V90's, the rising price and suspect reliability of some of the bits & pieces would have put me off buying a third Volvo when replacement time comes for this one.
I have been under the impression that Volvo cars are very influence by Ford? Way back in 2004 we had a S80 from new. It was very comfortable and nice to drive except for the gearbox which was terrible.

Also within the first year the whole rear suspension needed to be replaced. We had the car for less than 18 months and took a huge hit and traded it in for 1996 Toyota HiLux Surf.

Not sure if we would trust another Volvo or any of it siblings.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With an MTPLM OF 1445 kgs the A6 will give Chris V a comfortable margin on his towing ratio. It’s also worth noting the very early Ford Powershift DSG boxes were not good and a different design to the VAG offerings. When I drove the A6 I had no trouble with the DSG gear changes. A very cavernous quality built estate imo.
I believe it was the earlier DSG petrols that were mainly affected. Mine was a 2014 2 litre diesel and before buying I searched the forums and there were no predominant issues with the DSGs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been under the impression that Volvo cars are very influence by Ford? Way back in 2004 we had a S80 from new. It was very comfortable and nice to drive except for the gearbox which was terrible.

Also within the first year the whole rear suspension needed to be replaced. We had the car for less than 18 months and took a huge hit and traded it in for 1996 Toyota HiLux Surf.

Wasn’t that model S80 developed prior to Fords ownership?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wasn’t that model S80 developed prior to Fords ownership?
I am not sure, but when we bought a Mondeo a couple of years later in 2010, it had the exactly the same issues with the gearbox as the 2004 S80. However on the Mondeo about 6 months after purchase we got a full refund less mileage as the dealer could not resolve the issue. Mileage was still very low as it spent a lot of time in the workshop with them trying to resolve the issue.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I've lost track of who owns Volvo now but I don't think Ford have any influence any more. Current Volvo gearbox in my V90 (and the previous one) is made by Aisin who have a very good reputation for transmissions. It's just the software/infotainment/electro-gadgetry systems that are a bit fragile and not up to the perceived Volvo quality.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've lost track of who owns Volvo now but I don't think Ford have any influence any more. Current Volvo gearbox in my V90 (and the previous one) is made by Aisin who have a very good reputation for transmissions. It's just the software/infotainment/electro-gadgetry systems that are a bit fragile and not up to the perceived Volvo quality.
Ford sold Volvo in. 2010 to Geely. Buckmans S80 was a Volvo designed and developed car, and would have had a Aisin or GM gearbox depending on the market.

Geely have recently partnered with Renault for future developments of new models. Toyota, Subaru and Mazda are doing a similar thing. It’s an ever changing world the auto business.

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

From 1999 to 2010 Volvo was owned by Ford so models designed in that era share underpinnings with Mondeo or Focus although Volvo had major influence in the Mondeo platform. Subsequent designs while Volvo have been owned by Geely have no relationship to Ford.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From 1999 to 2010 Volvo was owned by Ford so models designed in that era share underpinnings with Mondeo or Focus although Volvo had major influence in the Mondeo platform. Subsequent designs while Volvo have been owned by Geely have no relationship to Ford.
The main issue was the software controlling the gear box which was faulty and could not be resolved even after 6 years of complaints by customers and journalists.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The main issue was the software controlling the gear box which was faulty and could not be resolved even after 6 years of complaints by customers and journalists.
Volvo, of any era, uses mainly Aisin automatic gearboxes - generally regarded as bullet-proof, but car makers get to tinker with the electronics to try to optimise fuel consumption and/or emissions and don't always get it right.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Volvo, of any era, uses mainly Aisin automatic gearboxes - generally regarded as bullet-proof, but car makers get to tinker with the electronics to try to optimise fuel consumption and/or emissions and don't always get it right.
Ford got it horribly wrong with Volvo and also the Ford Powershift which was so bad it was almost dangerous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ford got it horribly wrong with Volvo and also the Ford Powershift which was so bad it was almost dangerous.
I had no complaints wrt my Generation 3 Volvo XC70 with its torque converter Aisin gearbox. That car was designed and developed during Fords ownership.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had no complaints wrt my Generation 3 Volvo XC70 with its torque converter Aisin gearbox. That car was designed and developed during Fords ownership.
The big problem with Ford's, and Volvo's of that era, was the Powershift DCT transmission - so much so that in North America they withdrew the Powershift and reverted to conventional automatics - but in Europe they could get away with not doing that - differences in legal culture.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that all their conventional estates have been dropped due to minimal sales volume but the XC crossover versions are still on sale - these are "just" conventional estates with raised suspension and some macho body cladding - much like the Subaru Outback compared to the Subaru Legacy estate - and the Audi Allroad compared to the Audi Avant.
Today's news is that Volvo are re-introducing their V60 and V90 estate versions in the UK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts