August travelling in France

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi
We are planning to take our tourer to Vias on the south coast in August 2012 (I like to plan in advance!) and would like some advice from all you lot who have done the trip before! We have done the journey with car only and stayed in a motel one night but found this involved driving far too fast for too long, this time it is our intention to make the whole journey far more relaxing as follows-
Day 1, cross Calais 6:00AM on a Friday, drive approx 250 miles then overnight stop on a campsite.
Day 2, drive another 250 on a Sat? then stop as above.
Day 3, drive remaining 145 miles on a Sunday.
How do-able is this in France in August bearing in mind most of Europe might be doing the same?
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
When in August? Early August willbe busier, but later in August is absolutely fine traffic-wise. Saturday is a good day to drive as HGV's without refrigeration aren't allowed to use the roads on a weekend, apart from those carrying essential cargoes. We go every year, down to the Languedoc, about the 20th August, and have never had problems with traffic. There is a French website - Bison Fute - where you can look at a calendar (Calendrier des Previsions) of likely hold-ups and where they might occur, as well as finding bang up to date information about traffic conditions.
The route we usually use is Calais or Dunkerque to Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Orleans, Vierzon, Nevers, Moulins, Clermont Ferrand, Beziers - and find this a lovely route to travel, most can be done toll-free, and there are plenty of available campsites for overnight stops.
A good overnight stop is at Salbris, which is just a bit further than your 250 miles, at 298 - Camping de Sologne, overlooking a rather nice little lake, in a small town with a range of shops, restaurants, etc, site has a small bar/snack restaurant, and there is good cheap fuel at either of the nearby supermarkets. There is a municipal site at Olivet, near Orleans, which is just about right at 263 - but we haven't stayed there.
We'd then often stay at Millau (again just a bit further than your 250 miles, at 298) - which is fabulous for an overnight stop - and worth longer if you have time. Choice of lots of lovely sites there, and then you're only a half day away from the coast at Vias. Just a bit north of Millau there's a nice site at Severac le Chateau. Millau to Vias is just 73 miles - but it's a long slow downhill descent, so takes a bit longer than average.
Where are you staying in Vias?
Have a good trip! We're going in August this year!

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Val,
sorry for jumping onto this post, but after Vierzon, do you go through Nevers and Moulins towards Clermont Ferrand to avoid Tolls please ? Just curious.
Also, is it better waiting for the 2012 ACSI disc, rather than ordering a 2011 one ? We already have the 2011 book.

Many thanks,

Jim.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, we do, on a variety of routes, depending on how we're feeling! Sometimes we go 'east' further north at Salbris towards Neuvy-Barangeon on the D944), then skirt around the top end of Bourges, on the N76 towards St Pierre le Moutier which is further south than Nevers.
Sometimes we go from Orleans towards Gien, and then down the A77 - which is almost toll-free, but we never use the A71.
Sometimes we go down as far as Vierzon, and then use the N76 from Vierzon to Bourges.
From Moulins we take either the N9 or the N7 down to St Pourcain sur Sioule - not much in it really, but we perhaps prefer the N7 which takes you through St Pourcain (a nice little town for a stop over). Then on to Gannat, and sometimes straight on to the autoroute there, or sometimes cross-country down towards Riom. Really it all depends on timing/heat of the day/road conditions/mood and what time we set off in the morning!
I don't know about the ACSI CD to be honest, we don't use it because only recently have we taken a laptop with us. We do have the ACSI guide. It depends on how much you think you'll need the CD for directions, etc. We manage well with just a Michelin road atlas, but I'm quite a good map reader!

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Val
We hope to do the last two weeks in Aug 2012, we need to be back in UK for kids back to school.
We would be staying at Club Farret in Vias.
If we were to do 300 miles, how long would it take in actual driving time excluding stops?
And yes i do like to ask lots of questions!!!!!!
Thanks
Tim

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Viamichelin and similar route planning website suggest it takes 4 hours 59 minutes of driving time - but that's at the maximum allowed speed on all sections of the route, and not allowing for stops!
Have you booked at Club Farret? The reason I ask is that Domaine le Dragonniere at Vias takes Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) for almost all of the last two weeks in August. In 2011 from 22nd August - in previous years it's been as early as 18th August. This means a pitch would be £13.95 (current prices) per night, for two people, car and caravan, awning, and electricity - but at Dragonniere they cover an extra two people in this price if you have a Camping Cheques Gold Card. They also do 14 nights for 11 Camping Cheques - so a fortnight for a family of four would be just 11 x £13.95 or £154.95 in campsite costs if you squeezed in just before the children go back to school! It might just be worth a look at the early release of the 2012 Camping Cheques directory with the new dates in before you book anything. I know Dragonniere is not directly adjacent to the beach, but they do operate a mini-bus to the beach during the day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Driving in France is a lot easier and less stressful than in the UK. About the same number of vehicles and a lot, lot more roads and room.

Last year and the previous one I drove from St Malo to Biarritz in a day. Steady 60 -65mph with a few stops and that was during the first week in August.

I'll be doing it again this year

It's about the same distance as South Wales to Dover and back, which I wouldn't even consider. You will always run into traffic around the big cities but it is usually flowing ok

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Val A. said:
The route we usually use is Calais or Dunkerque to Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Orleans, Vierzon, Nevers, Moulins, Clermont Ferrand, Beziers - and find this a lovely route to travel, most can be done toll-free, and there are plenty of available campsites for overnight stops.
A good overnight stop is at Salbris, which is just a bit further than your 250 miles, at 298 - Camping de Sologne, overlooking a rather nice little lake, in a small town with a range of shops, restaurants, etc,
Thoroughly recommend this route.
We stayed at Camping de Sologne for an 'overnight' in May this year and were woken up by the gendarmes in the morning as most people on site had been robbed. A tent was cut open, a VW camper had bycycles and chairs stolen, an awning was opened and items taken (while people asleep in it) and a couple of motorhomes had their windows forced. We, and the GB caravan next to us, were not affected. I think the obvious high security on our Vivaro put them off.
It didn't put us off staying there twice more in August/September though. Lovely sight owners. The pitches not adjacent to the lake are serviced but the whole site is rather too dark at night.

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Val A. said:
When in August? Early August willbe busier, but later in August is absolutely fine traffic-wise. Saturday is a good day to drive as HGV's without refrigeration aren't allowed to use the roads on a weekend, apart from those carrying essential cargoes. We go every year, down to the Languedoc, about the 20th August, and have never had problems with traffic. There is a French website - Bison Fute - where you can look at a calendar (Calendrier des Previsions) of likely hold-ups and where they might occur, as well as finding bang up to date information about traffic conditions.
A good overnight stop is at Salbris, which is just a bit further than your 250 miles, at 298 - Camping de Sologne, overlooking a rather nice little lake, in a small town with a range of shops, restaurants, etc, site has a small bar/snack restaurant, and there is good cheap fuel at either of the nearby supermarkets. There is a municipal site at Olivet, near Orleans, which is just about right at 263 - but we haven't stayed there.
We'd then often stay at Millau (again just a bit further than your 250 miles, at 298) - which is fabulous for an overnight stop - and worth longer if you have time. Choice of lots of lovely sites there, and then you're only a half day away from the coast at Vias. Just a bit north of Millau there's a nice site at Severac le Chateau. Millau to Vias is just 73 miles - but it's a long slow downhill descent, so takes a bit longer than average.
Where are you staying in Vias?
Have a good trip! We're going in August this year!
Val, Thanks for this route I will be using this from Dunkerque to Canet en Roussillon. Has anyone any advice on my intended journey please.
  1. Sale 10th Aug 6:00 AM (UK time) from Dover to Dunkerque.
  2. One overnight (10th Aug) stop approx half way, how far and where?
  3. Set off 6:00 AM 11th Aug and drive to Canet en Roussilon.
I normally drive with caravan from Yorkshire to Cornwall (380 miles) with just two tea breaks at this time of year so I am hoping this is not over doing it.
Thanks in advance- Tim

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You'll need to get a bit further south than Salbris on your first if you can, if you want to get to Canet en Rousillon at a reasonable time the next day - to be able to set up and have a meal etc. If you're using the autoroute A71 then I would try and find somewhere between Montlucon and around the north of Clermont Ferrand. We've stayed at plenty of places but always just off the N roads rather than the autoroute - either Nevers, St Pourcain sur Sioule, or Gannat. I've heard good recommendations about the site in Orcet but never stayed there All three are municipal sites, fine for an overnight stop. One year we managed to get as far as Beau Rivage, near Vichy, where we decided to spend a couple of nights (we're never in a hurry to get anywhere in particular)!
If you don't get as far as that then the municipal in Vierzon is very easy to get to, or the municipal in Bourges. I'm not sure about further south on that route as we don't use the A71 so can't actually recommend any sites.
If you get further south then the municipal site at Issoire is just south of Clermont Ferrand and with a good start and good driving conditions you could possibly get that far or La Grange Fort at Parentignat, both of which we've stayed at in the past.
Where are you staying in Canet - we were there in September this year!

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Val
We changed our original plans from Vias to Le Brasilia at Canet.
How do you get onto a municipal site, do you need to book, is there a website?
Tim

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tim - No you don't generally need to book - and some sites don't accept bookings anyway. They are set up to accept people en-route to somewhere, and all you need do is to turn up! However, if you want a specific municipal (having worked out your timings) then there may be a website at the site or at the local Mairie where you can email and book a pitch. If you need help finding a specific site details then post again - St Pourcain certainly has a website - I'm not sure about the others.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The site at Orcet is open all year and very good - they have some big pitches which should be available at that time of year. Dutch owned, english spoken, secure and easy to find from the autoroute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts