auto transmission oil cooler on a suzuki grand vitara

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Can anybody tell me if i have fitted an auto transmission oil cooler correctly.

When i am towing the pipes from the cooler get very hot and also the oil in the gearbox looks brown, when checked with the dipstick.

I have contacted kenlowe they say everything is ok, but i think the oil should not get hot as you can`t touch the pipes.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't be too alarmed. It would be too much to expect an oil cooler to drop the temperature to where you can touch it. Their main purpose is to prevent the oil from boiling, thereby loosing its desired properties, and that's pretty hot (maybe rob_jax as our oil industry expert has the exact figures).

It's just like the radiator which also gets too hot to touch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon

(Assuming you've fitted the cooler OK). I just wondered if you'd found it easy to fit. I'm thinking of fitting a cooler to my Honda. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Catcher

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Optimum temperature for auto transmission oil is 80 degrees C, ie hot enough to burn given time, so expect hot pipes when towing.

If you've recently fitted the cooler it would be worth changing the fluid - red is good, brown needs changing, black is too late!

A number of manufacturers state no fluid change EVER under normal conditions but specify a change interval for "extreme conditions" - towing counts as an extreme condition, so check your handbook and service schedule.

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
It was a right nightmare, make sure if you buy from kenlowe they send you the right size hose. Mine was to big had to get a connecter from an hydarulics place.

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Simon

(Assuming you've fitted the cooler OK). I just wondered if you'd found it easy to fit. I'm thinking of fitting a cooler to my Honda. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Catcher
Nightmare, if you buy from kenlowe make sure the connecting hose is the same size as the one from the cars cearbox. Instructions say easy to follow, thats a joke.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Simon,

I think that the Suzuki auto boxes like Mitsubishi ones are made by a subcontractor called JATCO .if this is the case then if it's brown the oil has been "cooked" . I take issue slightly with Rogers comments about the correct temperature; because we don't know if the correct oil is in the case, as it could be Dexion II or III or 75w/80 which is I would have thought is unlikely in an Jap auto box equally it could be something else.

Time to investigate and probably fit a more expensive aftermarket oil which if brought from a good lubricant factors should cost more than

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't be too alarmed. It would be too much to expect an oil cooler to drop the temperature to where you can touch it. Their main purpose is to prevent the oil from boiling, thereby loosing its desired properties, and that's pretty hot (maybe rob_jax as our oil industry expert has the exact figures).

It's just like the radiator which also gets too hot to touch.
Hiya, I'm just going to be a smart-arse here... Hot oil isn't a problem in itself. At around 130

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts