Autogas France

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
I am new to Autogas and about to take the car to France running on gas. I have purchased an adapter which I have been told I will need. Question is the operation of this adapter easy to understand or am I going to have to take a degree.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Ron,

excuse the pun, but its a piece of wea-wea. Screw your adaptor into your filler, attach the pump pistol grip(place it in the adaptor cup and pull handle back to lock), keep green button pushed-usually on pump side, be careful though it could be hidden to one side. Wait for tank to fill then the good bit, gas is cheaper in France than UK.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Ron,

excuse the pun, but its a piece of wea-wea. Screw your adaptor into your filler, attach the pump pistol grip(place it in the adaptor cup and pull handle back to lock), keep green button pushed-usually on pump side, be careful though it could be hidden to one side. Wait for tank to fill then the good bit, gas is cheaper in France than UK.
Thanks Neil I can now cancel my degree course

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron

As Neil has already said using the adaptor is child's play. I have towed widely on the Continent with my LPG powered Vauxhall Monterey. I imagine that the adaptor you've purchased is a brass screw-on attachment. You simply screw it onto filling nozzle on your car and the pump outlet snaps into the wider cup on the outside of your adaptor. LPG, or I should say, GPL is more widely available in France than in the UK. Many supermarkets sell GPL(LPG) and at cheaper prices than the UK. In fact you could have done without buying the adaptor I just asked to borrow one from each forecourt attendant. "Un adapteur pour le GPL" was usually sufficient in my limited French. Only one occasion was it a problem - someone else had driven off with l'adapteur by mistake!!

If you go further afield than France availability is very varied. On a 5 week/2000 mile tour in 2004 I found it available as follows:

France - Very common in Normandy, Brittany, Alsace and Lorraine

Germany - More limited and mainly onlyon autoroutes

Holland - Very widely available

Austria - Very limited only found one industrial site selling autogas and that was closed

Switzerland - Not available

Happy GPL/LPG towing "en France" and enjoy those cheaper prices.

Best wishes

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts