automatic or manual

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
hi we are buying a new towcar shortly. We've looked at a mondeo 1.8 tdi manual and a vw passat 2.0 tdi automatic.

I'll be pulling a lunar meteor {1995}900kg.

What are your thoughts; as we have only beening towing since this sept.

Thank you Ann

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After over forty years caravanning, it has to be auto every time.I cannot understand why drivers want to work harder than they need to by using manual gearboxes.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I think a moment of caution is needed;

check first if the VW Passat Automatic is actually fitted with a DSG gearbox.

These are dual clutched units not the fluid coupling torque converter based units of conventional automatics. They are not tolerant to slipping a major plus feature of the conventional automatic.

I think its fair to say that "the Jury is still out" on whether they are really suitable for towing in the way the conventional automatic is undoubtedly. Clearly they will be at a disadvantage backing a recalcitrant caravan relative to a normal auto.

Until a bit more experience is accumulated I personally would risk it as a tug, though they make excellent solo vehicles.

Still I would go automatic, but it must be a conventional one.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I think a moment of caution is needed;

check first if the VW Passat Automatic is actually fitted with a DSG gearbox.

These are dual clutched units not the fluid coupling torque converter based units of conventional automatics. They are not tolerant to slipping a major plus feature of the conventional automatic.

I think its fair to say that "the Jury is still out" on whether they are really suitable for towing in the way the conventional automatic is undoubtedly. Clearly they will be at a disadvantage backing a recalcitrant caravan relative to a normal auto.

Until a bit more experience is accumulated I personally would risk it as a tug, though they make excellent solo vehicles.

Still I would go automatic, but it must be a conventional one.
I meant to type:

Until a bit more experience is accumulated I personally would NOT risk it as a tug, though they make excellent solo vehicles.

G

Auto puts the power where you want it, to the wheels. Not in to hit and miss clutch slipping.

Auto every time.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Returning to JTQ's reservations about the suitability of a VW with a DSG gearbox, I presume that this is taking into consideration the still relatively small numbers of vehicles in the UK with such a gearbox and also used for towing. However, over here on its home market, many DSG fitted VW's are used for this purpose and I am sure that any major problems would have surfaced by now, especially as many Continentals tend to tow right at the towing limit.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
No contest!

It has to be a manual everytime. The majority of your vehicles use will not be towing.

I enjoy driving, and that means being in the correct gear for every situation, that will give you 2 options when something untoward happens, ie brake or accelerate.

I cannot understand how anyone would want an autobox that would change down halfway through a bend when your having a bit of fun on the A roads, (without a van on the back of course!)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Kelvin's reply is the exception rather than the rule. I think you'd find that anyone who has had experience with an automatic or, better still, who has had a chance to compare it with a manual would prefer the automatic, especially when towing. Modern 6 and 7 speed automatics are just as capable of choosing the right gear, so it comes down to whether you are prepared to pay for the premium.

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
We changed to an auto 2 cars ago when we swapped our Rialto-Passat unit for a V70 D5 auto-Lunar Lexon combo. Best move we ever made, effortless driving with or without the caravan, especially when stuck in traffic on the M6 or M1. Auto comes into its own with cruise control, just set the speed and relax, all gear changes are done for you. You can still use gears 'manually' and if I fancy a blast around the country lanes I use that option, obviously the gear change isn't as quick as a full manual, but you can get yourself into the 'right' gear for the situations you encounter manually. We just changed the V70 and the new car is also an automatic (7 speed!), wouldn't go any other way with a towcar.

However, the daily commute is a Mini Cooper S, manual - wouldn't have it any other way!!

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Having had many auto boxes in the past i feel you cannot compare these with the DSG box, have now done 30000 miles in our 140bhp Skoda and about 6000 miles towing Coachman 1350 klg its a dream plus the mpg which is same as being manuel. I could not get our mpg with our X-Trail solo to what we get towing.It has been said by many of you that you are not aware of the caravan on the back but in our case you could say its like sitting in a armchair with cruise control and dsg.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
ANN & KEITH

Hi there do your reseach well there are a lot of new cars on the market place now with very poor clutches fitted. Fait have problems with clutch judder. Some VW Passat multi plate clutch,s are have problems when towing. Even some fords are having problems. Also look at the Co2 emissions Mondeo,s are very high you do not wish to be in band K L or M for road TAX.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
An auto is much better than a manual when manouvering onto pitches and driveways (just count the number of posts on this forum about burned clutches) and when using cruise control.

But they use up to 20% more fuel and frequently change gear when you don't want them to especially when attached to a turbo diesel, when you plant your foot into the floor to use the bucketful of low revs torque from the TD engine the damn thing changes down!!. My father in law always had auto's to reverse the van up his steep drive but now has a motor mover and a manual Outlander, his Galaxy auto was a nightmare, destroying gearboxes every 30k and hunting up and down the box when going up hills.

Like 4wd, auto has advantages but you'll pay for them.

G

I enjoy "brisk" driving and having an auto does not prevent that. I think Kelvin must have little experience of modern day auto box's or little knowlege of them. Most have tip function, my tow car exceeds 350 hp and we also have a more powerful sports car. Both have autos with tip manual drives and I can assure you that there is little difference in fun and performance using auto or manual drive.

This week I've driven a 335i convertible with 7 speed tip auto, seemless auto gear change and fast than a human can achieve.

The box is so good there seemed little point in having the manual function.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
re Kelvin's post.

Modern autos more often than not have a tiptronic option. Even my wifes 2005 1.6 Ford Focus and our previous 2003 Freelander had it so its not exclusive.

And to counter your argument , how often are you able to 'have fun' in normal every day use compared to towing?

I know my chances to are way less than the amount of time towing , you may be lucky that your daily commute is on gorgeous traffic free sweeping roads. Mine isn't.

So I'll stick with the auto have have stress free relaxed motoring both daily , towing and when having a bit of fun!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I last had an auto in 1992, a Ford Sierra 2.0i Ghia. It was rubbish, hunting up and down between 3rd and 4th at 80mph. Thus I became prejudiced. Watching FI over the years the paddle gear changes appealed to me. Now seems most manufacturers offer autos with manual control which I assume also locks the gear for downhill decents.

When I bought my Sorento the auto was

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I last had an auto in 1992, a Ford Sierra 2.0i Ghia. It was rubbish, hunting up and down between 3rd and 4th at 80mph. Thus I became prejudiced. Watching FI over the years the paddle gear changes appealed to me. Now seems most manufacturers offer autos with manual control which I assume also locks the gear for downhill decents.

When I bought my Sorento the auto was

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I have to disagree with several of the comments. Kelvin has had experience of modern auto's, volvo T5 auto, BMW X5 auto, to name 2, and I still prefer the manual. I agree that with a tiptronic box you can change gear manually, but why pay at least

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to be on Kelvins side on this one Manual gives better control and economy,a much more pleasing driving experience on the twisty bits and safer on the steep downhill slopes.

However I now have a Toyota LC4 auto. If I had bought a manual one of these, in 3 years time when I come to sell it on I would find no one wants a Landcruiser manual.

still each to there own personal choice and all that.

Glenn.

G

Sorry, but with an auto you have drive all the time, wth a clutch you do not. In the wet and on hill starts an auto will win every time especially whe towing.

Todays cars mainly combin taction controls and other aids with the auto. I'm told that in most scenarios the auto combined with these aids will out perform a manual setup.

How can you question the cost of Auto when you have leather packs at

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I wonder do the manual change enthusiasts (along with the majority of motoring journalists!) confuse car ownership with driving enthusiasm.

Many of us choose our cars to serve a practical purpose with the 'driving pleasure' coming a very distant second.

Roads today (congestion or speed traps - take your pick) are hardly a place to partake in 'driving pleasure' and just don't justify choosing a car on its dynamic / sporting qualities unless one is very enthusiastic about such things. I suggest that for most of us that is not the case.

Martin

(Chrysler Grand Voyager / Hyundai Tucson - formerly Porsche!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too was of the "has to be manual" school until a few years ago, probably influenced by my first go at auto - a Granada 2 litre ( company car). This was dreadful.

On retirement changed to a discovery diesel - fine but suffered from huge turbo lag when down around 2000 rpm, often needing several downshifts for roundabouts when towing. The gearbox was not particularly slick either - my better half managed to get reverse at about 10 mph on the test drive - one of the few times I've felt sorry for a car salesman.

Discovery replaced 7 years ago with MB 270 cdi with tiptronic box - all the previous problems vanished, able to use the manual function if I want to, e.g. long gradual descents or to hold a lower gear to get a clean overtake.

If you are looking at diesels which i suspect you may be, try the manual version at low-ish rpm to see what the pick-up is like - ideally round a string of roundabouts. Whatever it is will be much worse when towing.

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
I have found this post particularly interesting seeing that I am wheelchair dependent and drive an auto all the time.

I am currently looking for a new tow car and I am not sure what to go for. I have a Mazda 6 2.0 TS2 estate auto petrol but I would like a diesel now for fuel economy.

The mobility scheme that I am using doesn't offer much scope for a diesel auto estate at a reasonable initial deposit. I am afraid I can't afford to pay

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dougy

Check out the old xtrail,both my father an mother inlaw found it far easier to step into the xtrail, rather than step down into my A4.

Dont confuse the SUV 4x4 with the LR type products, many 4x4 are a step up into for small people.

I promise you will be very surprised.

Also the new mazda 6, is now avaiable with the 2.2 diesel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts