Automatic or manuel

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Thinking of buying an automatic autosleeper instead of Manuel, what is best please, anybody got any reviews on Mercedes automatics please? Thank you in advance

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In general, my opinion is to please yourself. Chances are that you will get a little higher mpg from a manual. But the difference is not what it was. The initial purchase price of an auto will be dearer. But it comes down to what you prefer driving.

I initially went for an auto as I was having difficulty controlling a clutch, especially in traffic. So I will not go back.

I have not heard any bad things about the auto boxes used in Mercs. Worldwide there are only a few manufacturers. I don't know whose they use.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since 1993 at least one of our cars has been automatic. Sometimes we’ve had two autos and one manual. Our recent purchase is auto 7 speed dual clutch transmission and it’s excellent, so much more relaxing in traffic.
If the auto sleeper is based on a Mercedes commercial engine and gearbox either will be good, as commercial drivers cannot afford unreliable vehicles. I’d go for the auto, but it’s really your decision.

You don’t say what year but if it’s a 5 G or7 G Tronic it’s Mercedes own unit used widely throughout the world in MB and other makes of vehicles.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Since 1997 i have automatic but my wife had a manual my latest Tiguan is a 7 speed automatic DSG gearbox i have problems with my gross and fine motor skills which will not improve due to past medical issues.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
There is no straight answer to your question - its really personal choice.

Personally I prefer automatics but when you buy used you seldom get a choice when you consider all the other features you want.

These days though I'm glad I drive a manual as the fuel economy is much better than an automatic.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There is no straight answer to your question - its really personal choice.

Personally I prefer automatics but when you buy used you seldom get a choice when you consider all the other features you want.

These days though I'm glad I drive a manual as the fuel economy is much better than an automatic.
Most modern automatics are very close to their manual equivalent for fuel consumption - automated manuals and DSGs can produce better figures than a manual in some cases and old-school "slush" boxes are much more efficient these days thanks to torque-converter lock-up.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Most modern automatics are very close to their manual equivalent for fuel consumption - automated manuals and DSGs can produce better figures than a manual in some cases and old-school "slush" boxes are much more efficient these days thanks to torque-converter lock-up.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I have a Mercedes e220 d with a 9 speed auto. My first auto box and I would never go back to a manual. As for economy, A long run will see well over 60mpg with 50+ easily attained on local use. When towing 1300kgs of caravan I get =/- 30mpg. Not bad for a big estate car.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
It's personal choice, we bought our first Auto last year after 35 years of only driving a Manual.
Never going back to a manual ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Mercedes e220 d with a 9 speed auto. My first auto box and I would never go back to a manual. As for economy, A long run will see well over 60mpg with 50+ easily attained on local use. When towing 1300kgs of caravan I get =/- 30mpg. Not bad for a big estate car.
Good to hear that even big Mercedes estate cars auto can offer good ratio of diesel mileage both locally and when touring. Hope you continue to enjoy trips with the same pleasure.

Reactions: Challenger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts