automatic -v-manual

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Automatic every time, but you do need to confirm whether an additional oil cooler is necessary for the auto box. They are also better suited to larger vehicles.

It is just so much smoother and more relaxing towing with an automatic car. And no more smelly clutches when trying to reverse uphill.

Malcolm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do some people tow with manual gearboxes, then? Seriously, I towed with autos and semi-auto before they became popular, and have towed with only auto for more years than I want to recall. There is no other way to drive, let alone tow.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If your thinking of a vehicle with marginal power then it has to be a manual as even more power is lost through an auto box. Also the human brain is potentially able to better exploit gear selection and include prediction of hills etc. The manual also helps if the braking is marginal [this is likely to be the case with a underpowered vehicle anyway]. The manual is also better for ultra fine control such as needed for hitching up on a soft field.

If the vehicle has plenty of power for the job then an auto makes by far the better choice on grounds of refinement and a more relaxing drive thus easing driver fatigue and enabling proper use of cruise control [one where gear changing is encountered].

The auto will however in most cases use between 10 and 15% more fuel whilst towing but not be so relatively inefficient solo.

Just to clarify here I am talking about autos with hydrodynamic fluid couplings, I have no knowledge of the variable drive types.

My choice is without doubt plenty of power and an auto diesel and is based on a lifetime of towing.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If your thinking of a vehicle with marginal power then it has to be a manual as even more power is lost through an auto box. Also the human brain is potentially able to better exploit gear selection and include prediction of hills etc. The manual also helps if the braking is marginal [this is likely to be the case with a underpowered vehicle anyway]. The manual is also better for ultra fine control such as needed for hitching up on a soft field.

If the vehicle has plenty of power for the job then an auto makes by far the better choice on grounds of refinement and a more relaxing drive thus easing driver fatigue and enabling proper use of cruise control [one where gear changing is encountered].

The auto will however in most cases use between 10 and 15% more fuel whilst towing but not be so relatively inefficient solo.

Just to clarify here I am talking about autos with hydrodynamic fluid couplings, I have no knowledge of the variable drive types.

My choice is without doubt plenty of power and an auto diesel and is based on a lifetime of towing.
I had also meant to say that the auto box makes for a safer drive in that you can concentrate 100% on the job in hand; even if changing gear is an almost subconscious activity it is nevertheless and additional demand best avoided under critical conditions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Auto every time for towing.

I have a manual for non towing journeys and enjoy the manual box on a journey.

But what I have found is that a manual box when towing just becomes a pain.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We've towed with auto's for about twenty years, even our old 2 litre Volvo estate was quite capable when we moved to a twin axle van and hapily towed with 5 on board and all our kit for 4-5 weeks in France and Italy.

The Volvo's had a 4 speed box with 4th descriced as overdrive with, Volvo suggested using 3rd when towing to prevent the box hunting between 2 and 4. In the 4 years we had the car we only ever set it in 3 twice I seem to remeber, the car was quite happy and economic towing using all 4 gear settings.

Ten plus years on and any 2 ltr or bigger car should cope well with a sensibly matched caravan. The conventional autos have a torque converter that beats using a clutch hands down. On slippery hill starts or even in the Alps or stick in hilly town traffic its auto every time. Providing you fit a cooler if needed you should get 120000 mile plus reliability from the Auto like we have.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've towed with auto's for about twenty years, even our old 2 litre Volvo estate was quite capable when we moved to a twin axle van and hapily towed with 5 on board and all our kit for 4-5 weeks in France and Italy.

The Volvo's had a 4 speed box with 4th descriced as overdrive with, Volvo suggested using 3rd when towing to prevent the box hunting between 2 and 4. In the 4 years we had the car we only ever set it in 3 twice I seem to remeber, the car was quite happy and economic towing using all 4 gear settings.

Ten plus years on and any 2 ltr or bigger car should cope well with a sensibly matched caravan. The conventional autos have a torque converter that beats using a clutch hands down. On slippery hill starts or even in the Alps or stick in hilly town traffic its auto every time. Providing you fit a cooler if needed you should get 120000 mile plus reliability from the Auto like we have.
Hi All, What is the right kerbweight for 2000/2001 Freelander auto, can't find it anywhere, keep getting the manual kerbweigh of 1620 for the freelander, is this right, Thanks Trevor

G

I fall into the auto camp. Maybe I learned that from my old Granada auto. Had lots of fun flooring the accelerator and taking off like a rocket. Very American I know, but I was young then. Also my wife has an automatic only driving licence. Yes, I know you don't get them anymore, but she passed her test in 1975 when you could and as she sat the test in the aforementioned Granada, that is what she got. She said she only wished to get from A to B, not play with gears and has happily driven with the van on the back ever since.

Now I find the driving experience so much easier and you can concentrate on the road rather than forever flayling around your left (or right if you are in a Left Hand Drive car) arm. The 'creep' facility is also a boon in traffic jams. My own car also has a, now dropped, facility that if you hold the brake down, the auto changes to neutral itself, and changes back into drive a soon as you release the brake. Stops any overheating. So even less of a hassle.

As mentioned most modern autos already have a good oil cooler so there is unlikely to be any adverse effects from towing. However, it is a good idea to check the colour of the fluid after a long hot summer. If it is discoloured then there is a good chance it has got too hot, and will need changing.

I suspect the manual camp comes partially because many of the popular diesel models either don't offer auto versions, or if they do they are fitted to lower powered engines. I can only suggest those that have the choice on their chosen vehicle try one for a long trial, and see. Very many people are converted

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Auto every time.

Auto with Tiptronic great. Tiptronic changes so quickly without loss of revs. Also with tiptronic you can keep your engine revs on the maximum economical power point i.e. in hilly country. On motorway or A-roads switch to auto relax and enjoy your journey. My 3.2 Shogun diesel auto is 3 mpg more economical in tiptronic than auto when towing 1725 Kgs of caravan.

Hamer.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I have to concur with the previous illustrious and obviously experienced tuggers who have inferred that Auto is best for towing.

Reasons - no clutch burnout worries, no hit or miss hill starts, no rowing the gearstick in traffic and safer control of the vehicle because of better focus on primary functions of driving i.e. observing, steering and braking - doubly important when extra towing tasking is loaded into the brain!

Overall a much more relaxing aproach to towing, allowing one to drive as normal, appreciate the scenery and forget the lump on the back.

Vanning should be fun and Auto transmission aids the process!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jesus H Christ, I was hoping to get away with this, without having to stick up for the manual, but you all persist. Damn you all for the pain you make me inflict upon yourself.

Clutch burnout, what a load of tosh, if you are laden so badly that to may encounter clutch burnout then it's not going to be healthy for an overheating auto either.

Hill starts, see above explanation.

Relaxed towing with an auto? No thanks, is it going to kick down unexpectedly or is it going to be in too higher a gear when it should have kicked down? Am I going to have enough engine braking for this long decent, does the manufacturer really mean it when they say I wont need an extra oil cooler, or should I have fitted one just for this journey on a hot summers day going up all these steep hills towing at a maximum ratio?

Extra control from a auto, please who's kidding who here?

I'm not going to concede the argument over costs, apart from the extortionate purchase price of the auto, running costs will be broadly similar.

I could go on, please don't make me (there's so many of you auto lovers) so I will close with this statement.

If you can't or don't want to change gears and can afford the extra purchase price of an auto, go for the auto.

If you still have a pulse, go for the manual.

Was that too provocative?

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I`m with LOL on this.

Burned out clutches? I`ve done over a million miles and NEVER had to have a clutch fitted. O.K so I`ve not done over 150k in any single car but even so....

I prefer the additional control of a manual and the ability to determine what gear I want to be in for any particular scenario.Yes you can do this with an auto, but you would have to do this `manually`, oops theres that word again.

With the exception of a new DSG box, a manual is quicker,more responsive and more economical. They are also cheaper.

When I am too old, lazy, or infirm no doubt I will give consideration to an auto box.

My view, I don`t expect anyone to agree with it, but it answered the original question.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Prior to my last two V classes I had two Volvos all 4 cars did in excess of 150000 miles and many of those towing caravans and trailers.

I'm still waiting for all the hunting for gears and unexpected down changes.

I've never had a problem driving anything from bikes to cars and racing cars to trucks with clutches, but towing an auto has drive all the time unlike a gear box and clutch. It is common place for clutch driven cars that tow to suffer burn outs and short life and I doubt that all cases are down to bad driving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You must have noticed them Frank, they are the ones driving "past" the petrol stations. Still, bet you have a lot of nectar points.....

Was that too confrontational?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You must have noticed them Frank, they are the ones driving "past" the petrol stations. Still, bet you have a lot of nectar points.....

Was that too confrontational?
Ah, Brandy is having that magical effect, perhaps I should stop now...

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

In the past I have towed with various cars and prefered manuals, my last car was an Audi A4 2.5TDI quattro, this could have the cruise control set at 60mph with a 1400kg caravan on the back and would never slow down to below around 54mph on any motorway hill in 6th gear, so no need to change down, I never had any clutch problems and always do long distance through the night to avoid traffic, this kind of driving was as relaxed as it could be.

Now I have an auto/tiptronic which is great for towing and easier in traffic, but it lacks engine braking unless I use the tiptronic function which is then similar to a manual anyway, I bought the auto as I wanted an ML270CDI and was told the manual box is not very good, difficult to sell, rare and the torque is reduced so the obvious thing to do was buy an auto.

Other than heavy traffic which I try to avoid I found the auto no easier but now I am used to it I quite like it. The auto is suited to more powerful engines, engine and gearbox technology is getting better but caravans are getting heavier so the more power the better, more so with an auto. Everyone to their own.

spj

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think you are missing the point spj.

We had a manual Montego 2WD many years ago that would cruise along in top mile after mile on Motorways as will many cars.

Even the Audi has to use lower gears in towns and mountains or around Devon and Cornwall roads in summers crawling traffic or up in one in three wet hills. That is when the auto makes its name not cruising the A16 from a Calais ferry at 11pm.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Although I prefer manual as I like to be in control I can see the advantage of auto, but driving a 2.0 turbo diesel I just dont need auto, theres so much low down grunt with turbo diesels you dont need to change down so often. whilst not all autos are unreliable make sure if you choose auto it has a good track record, My father in laws Galaxy auto died at 30k

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts