autumn in Portugal

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
We intend to spend 3 months in Portugal, September to December.

generaly a week to 10 days per site visiting areas from north to south. We will be towing a large caravan with a new T5 VW campervan. Probably landing and leaving from Santander. so Salamanca en route south and Seville,Caceres, Salamanca north.

any advise please.

geo

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi George

Sorry I can't help with your request, but I was very interested to read of you towing with a campervan. I have been telling my husband that towing a caravanwith a campervan is the best combination but he thinks I am mad! I am glad just to see that somebody obviously has the same brilliant idea!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm interested in this combination. Why is it better than towing a caravan with a car? Surely, all you gain is two different lots of beds, and much higher fuel consumption???? After all we have a car we can leave site with, we have our beds to come home to, and we'd only pay one lot of campsite fees (I imagine you may have to pay for two units on some sites - as they'd imagine you were going to sleep two lots of people????).

I can imagine towing a little car with a campervan or motorhome, (or having a scooter on the back of the motorhome) so that you can zip in and out of town without having to pack up - but can't see any of the advantages in towing a caravan with a campervan. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I take your point about two lots of fees etc. but my idea was that you could have perhaps one/two night trips in this country but have a bed, cooker, kettle etc., then come home without all the hassle of the caravan. Or , when abroad, go off for a couple of nights without always going out for a day and then returning the same night. Your points about two lots of upkeep are exactly the view of my husband, whereas I want to be a bit more spontaneous without too much effort!!

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
We have been looking at small campervans to do exactly what you are planning to do. I think it is a great idea, as you can get the discount on a pitch then leave for a couple of days to wildcamp. We will do it when our present car needs replacing, hopefully not too soon.

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Graham

Glad to hear somebody understands my way of thinking! Would you like a free wife!!!
Hi, glad a few others have thought of it.

my T5 camper is also my day car, we have lots of day/ weekend activties at home and use the camper so we can eat our food and pee in our own pot. We have the caravan because the camper is really too small for long term living. However any commercial van based vehicle is geared for pulling a load, not just passengers and therefore with its additional weight etc makes an excellent towing platform. With 173ps and Auto you really do not know there is a van on the back. Now back to the original question. any answers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts