Avoiding Sutton Bank

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi just after a little help, we are travelling to reighton sands in Filey, we are travelling from Sunderland. I am having trouble finding a decent route but to avoid sutton bank. I have a caravan satnav but there was a time we were travelling back from Flamingo land and it kept trying to take us down sutton bank so I am reluctant to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks 😊

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
1st what car are you using and what caravan. As you are surely aware caravans are banned from Sutton bank. There is a signposted diversion route, I think it is about 10 to 15 miles, I haven't been along it.
Maybe others will help.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Google Maps suggests the coast route north from Filey using the A171 to Middlesborough. Their alternative is the A64 to Malton the the B1257 to Oswaldkirk to pick up the Caravan Alternative Route for Sutton Bank

Reactions: GT83
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A very steep and long hill in North Yorkshire. Restrictions on caravans and HGVs. If visiting tyere are some great views across Yorkshire from the escarpment that includes the Sutton Bank route.
AFAIK the A170 Sutton Bank has a ban on caravans but only an advisory against HGVs - for others, it has three 25% sections one of which is on a hairpin bend.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK the A170 Sutton Bank has a ban on caravans but only an advisory against HGVs - for others, it has three 25% sections one of which is on a hairpin bend.
As ever Roger you are spot on wrt HGVs. Although in an average year 120 fail to make it going up, and 400 will suffer problems going up, or down. The North York council offers this advuce

Avoid Sutton Bank if:

• it is wet, icy or snowbound (conditions are made worse during the Autumn by leaf fall)
  • you are not familiar with Sutton Bank
  • your vehicle has a low power to weight ratio
  • you are driving a fully laden articulated goods vehicle
  • there is little weight over the drive axle
  • local signs indicate it is blocked
  • you are an inexperienced driver

One who failed to make it. πŸ˜‚

IMG_1275.jpeg

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
1st what car are you using and what caravan. As you are surely aware caravans are banned from Sutton bank. There is a signposted diversion route, I think it is about 10 to 15 miles, I haven't been along it.
Maybe others will help.
I think DD did try the signposted diversion and swore he would never do it again!
We avoided it by a longer detour on major roads. I would suggest a good old fashioned paper road map. It makes it much easier to plan a sensible route
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we travelled from the south we left the A1M and headed for York, then Malton and Pickering and back towards Kirbymoorside. It was a few miles longer but a good driving route. During our stay in the area we went on the caravan diversion route (solo) and it wasn't brilliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: GT83 and RogerL
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Warning - THREAD DRIFT and no help whatsover to the OP.

On my way to Pickering I somehow missed any signs to avoid Sutton Bank.
I found myself at the bottom of the bank and there was no turning place, so feeling commited I ventured upwards.
Happy to say that the car and caravan negotiated the bank without any difficulty at all
(E-Class estate automatic and Bailey Ancona GT65).
Even happier to say that I was not spotted by the PoPo and breathed the big sigh of relief when I got over the top.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
From Sunderland, I would go all the way down the A1M. To the A59 across towards York then the A64 towards Scarborough.then a short cut across to Filey.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Warning - THREAD DRIFT and no help whatsover to the OP.

On my way to Pickering I somehow missed any signs to avoid Sutton Bank.
I found myself at the bottom of the bank and there was no turning place, so feeling commited I ventured upwards.
Happy to say that the car and caravan negotiated the bank without any difficulty at all
(E-Class estate automatic and Bailey Ancona GT65).
Even happier to say that I was not spotted by the PoPo and breathed the big sigh of relief when I got over the top.
Almost all vehicles can handle Sutton Bank if they get a clear run - the problem occurs if one vehicle slows, particularly on the steep hairpin near the bottom, and vehicles behind them come to a stop as it's difficult to start from stationary - often caused by drivers being in the wrong gear, including automatics not changing down quickly enough. It can also be an issue going down as it's long enough to cause brake fade on heavier vehicles.

I reckon my outfit would cope, if it was permitted, but I think it would need a lot of bottle to keep the power on through the hairpin - needs limited slip diifs though!

Reactions: Hutch
Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Maybe others will help.
Hi thanks, it's a mondeo 2lt, it's fine towing although it could do with a little more power on banks. I've heard that there are a couple of banks on the A171 (I think it was that road), I'm thinking maybe go the A1, a longer route but maybe the easiest

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
When we travelled from the south we left the A1M and headed for York, then Malton and Pickering and back towards Kirbymoorside. It was a few miles longer but a good driving route. During our stay in the area we went on the caravan diversion route (solo) and it wasn't brilliant.
Yeah this is the way I'm thinking, it is longer but hopefully the easiest route, thanks

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
........I have no idea why travelling from Sunderland to Filey takes you anywhere near Sutton Bank?
Wouldn't you do as cooky1 suggests in #4?
I know I can go that way, but I'm sure I read that the A171 also has quite big banks on it as well, the mondeo could do with a little more power going up hill, I also think that way may have a lot of stop and starting if that makes sense. But also checked my caravan satnav and it will take me that way, so might just go that way rather than the A1. I just get a little stressed over these things, my husband isn't at all and he is the 1 driving, thanks for your help

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Only big bank that I can think of is after Guisborough and it's not too bad, dual carriage way up the bank so things can overtake. Can't think of much stop/start on that route, Guisborough has a bypass now so no hold ups there. Quite an easy route with plenty of dual roads so traffic flows well. Once up on the moors after Guisborough (Fancy bank) it is mostly single roads but not difficult. It is always buisy though as it is one of the main routes to Whitby and Scarborough.

Reactions: Hutch and GT83
Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Only big bank that I can think of is after Guisborough and it's not too bad, dual carriage way up the bank so things can overtake. Can't think of much stop/start on that route, Guisborough has a bypass now so no hold ups there. Quite an easy route with plenty of dual roads so traffic flows well. Once up on the moors after Guisborough (Fancy bank) it is mostly single roads but not difficult. It is always buisy though as it is one of the main routes to Whitby and Scarborough.
Aw right ok, thats brilliant, makes me feel a bit better haha, thanks very much for all your help πŸ‘πŸ‘

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
You can if you wish get to the top of the Bank and just before you start to go down there is a left hand turning, basically the last one before the decent, I think its signposted Golf club/ Flying club, its narrow but have gone down it many times without any problems, but its a few years ago and it may now have a restriction.

Reactions: Anseo

TRENDING THREADS