Avon Skin so Soft

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Last year there were a number of posts recommending "Avon Skin so Soft" as a mosquito repellant. Can anyone tell me which actual product this is?

It appears that there are a number of products in the range, and I cannot remember which one of them had proved to be particularly effective.

Last year we were badly stung(?) in Northern France, so much so that we had to get medical attention on our return.

I hope that this product may help us as we travel down to Perpignan this year !

Michael - Derbyshire

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
hi michael

just asked the wife she said its the woodland dry oil spray(the one with the blue cap and writing) this does work as we use it all the time ,the other colours dont work

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI RAYMOND i just spotted your mosquito repellent tip we are off to france in june we havent booked yet ,but we buy the spray as you have recomended it happy caravanning ALAN P/T

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
michael, buy the wife some chewing tobacco, brown bogie or something like that. then, when they come near you get her to breathe in their direction, works wonders :)

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
HI RAYMOND i just spotted your mosquito repellent tip we are off to france in june we havent booked yet ,but we buy the spray as you have recomended it happy caravanning ALAN P/T
hi alan

before you get a bottle read the ingredients online they are the exact same as the mosquito repelent

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have used it on three trips to Scotland to repel Caledonius Midgium but it didn't work for me. They treated it as gravy :O(

A lady in Oban told us the fishermen use it and my wife was an Avon rep and customers whose hubbies were in the SAS bought it for them for when they go abroad.

My wife has never had a single midge bite but I've been covered with bites everytime which proves Caledonius Midgium is selective and doesn't touch bad meat but mozzies are another matter.

Mar 26, 2005
Visit site
used this product 4 yrs they used 2 do shower gel stopped now spray brill but hubby wont use stock up wen it comes on offer we go 2 france 4 4weeks in aug i take 4sprays use it all

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Im still struggling to find this on their website. There are 2 i have found, one is Original Dry Oil body spray, that has blue writing on the bottle but not a blue cap and the other is Soft and Sensual Dry Oil Body Spray and that has pink writing on the bottle. Am i looking at the right thing? I did type Woodland dry Oil into their search box and it came up with all sorts of stuff including deoderants and hair removal wax strips. A link to the product would be useful if you can find it for me. Sorry to be a nuisance but i would really like to get the right stuff because if there is a biter out there it's me it goes for, not alan.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I am VERY popular with the mozziew whenever I go to Scotland. However when "Which?" magazine tested "Avon Skin So Soft" they said that it DID NOT work effectively as a repellent. "Which?" said that only repellants containing "deet" were effective and so that is what I use. I use the Boots one which is high scoring and reasonably priced.

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews-ns/insect-repellents/insect-repellents-compared/index.jsp
Remember "Which?" has an unbeatable record for IMPARTIAL test-based advice.

We, also, use one of those plug in "blue light insectocutors" whilst sleeping.

Regards

Tim

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I also used the Insectocutor at night but because the midges are so small they went through the grid and into the bottom without touching the live wire. If you do use one of these empty it outside because about 50% of the buggers are still alive.

Last thing at night I used to go around the inside van with a torch because with the shadow of the midge it made them twice the size and easier to spot, especially on the ceiling. Each time we came home the ceiling of the van was a mess with squashed midges and I could tell the ones that had already bitten me, they squashed red with my blood. There was a certain sense of satisfaction though realising it was payback time.

Even with my many defences some got through and probably the worse place I went to for midges was Killin. People were walking around in the evening waving their arms about like demented loons although some wore those midge hats that are like what beekeepers wear.

Another thing you might be told is "you'll be alright if it rains, they don't come out then".

Don't you believe it, the ones at Luss wore pacamacs. The only skin I had showing, because it was raining, was my hands and face but they were sticking to my wet hands and still biting me :O(

It was a pleasure going to sites on the east side though, places like Brora or Rosemarkie, no midges there.

May 22, 2006
Visit site
We first heard about Avon Skin So Soft while on holiday in the west of Scotland, and while my wife was in a shop at Fort William I was looking in the window of the shooting/fishing shop on the right going down mainstreet and it was in the window for sale, went in and bought some worked OK for us.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
the family and i have used this for year and from what im lead to believe is that the UK armed forces use it now

I used to use it when in west Africa and west coast of scotland and never had much bother from bugs found it better then some of these so called jungle juices you get in boots

always used and will continue to do so

an excellent product

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Michael and other Avon fans

After extensive testing "Which?" magazine said:

"We included Avon's Skin So Soft body lotion in our test because of internet rumours that it worked as an insect repellent. Avon makes no such claims for this product - and we found it didn't deter mosquitoes."

So perhaps you should not rely on hearsay but scientific testing!! but it's your money.

I'm not on commission for "Which?" by the way - just a member of the Consumer Association. There impartial advice has saved me a lot of money and lot of problems over the years.

Tim

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Many years ago when my wife was first asked for this product as an Avon rep she didn't know which product the customer wanted. All the customer told her was she wanted it for her hubby for when he goes abroad, he was in the army.

My wife rang Avon and they told her which product it was but it wasn't advertised as a deterrent because it hadn't been tested or licenced as such.

My wife has since sold lots to various people without any complaints that it doesn't work. All I can say is that it didn't work for me but for everyone that said it didn't work I know of ten that said it does.

So to summarise, you pays ya money and takes ya chance :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Michael and other Avon fans

After extensive testing "Which?" magazine said:

"We included Avon's Skin So Soft body lotion in our test because of internet rumours that it worked as an insect repellent. Avon makes no such claims for this product - and we found it didn't deter mosquitoes."

So perhaps you should not rely on hearsay but scientific testing!! but it's your money.

I'm not on commission for "Which?" by the way - just a member of the Consumer Association. There impartial advice has saved me a lot of money and lot of problems over the years.

Tim
Maybe it just deters midges.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
OK. We're off to the west of Scotland at the end of june. In the interests of science I will lather one arm and leg in Avon and one in some deet containing product. As a control subject I'll lather OH half in sugar syrup and half in meat juices. i will report back!!

mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts