Avondale v Bailey

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Bailey Ranger 550-6 or Avondale dart 556-6 ?

Both look lovely, any pro's,cons advice etc... may take the plunge and trade in !!!!Many thanks for any help !

Tina x

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, I seem to remember you saying that hubby is quite tall, if he's anything like me Avondale and Bailey are a no no, I can't stand up in them, no headroom.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol/Big Roy

Yep hubby 6ft4", he has to "****" his head in the Lunar that we have at the mo!! Yes fancy an 06 model !! what you two got ????

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Senator, so the headroom is the same as other Bailey caravans. Not seen much of the new Ranger, have you had a look at it Tina?

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I've got an Elddis firestorm (avante) which I can just about stand up in (I'm the same height as your hubby)

That was my main criteria when shopping around for a caravan, to find one that I could stand in.

The manufacturers seem to be putting all of their energy into making caravans wider and seem to forget that the population is getting taller.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got an Elddis firestorm (avante) which I can just about stand up in (I'm the same height as your hubby)

That was my main criteria when shopping around for a caravan, to find one that I could stand in.

The manufacturers seem to be putting all of their energy into making caravans wider and seem to forget that the population is getting taller.
Speak for yourself Roy, this little caravaner is getting wider!

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, weve had our Bailey Ranger 550/6 for a year now and cant fault it. It tows a dream behind our Kia Sedona.

Not seen this years price lists but the Bailey was considerably cheaper than other models in its class when we bought ours - the difference bought the awning as I remember.

Good luck whichever model you go for.

Martin.

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
I would seriously suggest that you check out the info on Avondle Dart 556-6 onthis forum (one of which I wrote only a couple of days ago) All vans have their niggles, but certain Avondales including the one you are considering have been known to have serious problems with rear panels cracking. Good luck whihever you decide

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina

I would just like to say that its a shame if you are put off buying the avondale because certain ones have problems with cracking panels, we have a 556/6, had it for a year now, think its great have had no problems at all, just had it serviced, asked the dealer to look at the panels as i was also concerned but he assured me that ours was ok, and said it wasn't just avondales with this problem, so you takes your chance. It also tows like a dream. We have even looked at other vans when we go to the dealers occasionally, and we are still sure that we bought the right van. Hope you enjoy it whichever one you decide to buy.

Lorraine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina,

Bailey are launching their new range of Rangers at the Birmingham show in February,so it might be worth you holding off for a few weeks until you have seen them.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi tina, we have an avondale 556-6 it is a 2004 model, we have had it from new not had any problems with panels cracking.

we chose the avondale over the bailey because the rear bunks in the avondale are longer for the kids, we can't fault the caravan we are very happy with it.

sharon

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina, weve had our Bailey Ranger 550/6 for a year now and cant fault it. It tows a dream behind our Kia Sedona.

Not seen this years price lists but the Bailey was considerably cheaper than other models in its class when we bought ours - the difference bought the awning as I remember.

Good luck whichever model you go for.

Martin.
Hi Martin,thats promising as I too have a sedona,great tow car isnt it ??

Tina x

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Many thanks for your replys, !! Will be waiting for the 06 models if I "do it" !!!!! Lol have seen alot of bailey rangers on site and just think they are a lovely looking van on the outside, same layout as I have now but a bit more spec and the 06 seemsgood price!Have'nt seen much of the avondaleas cant seem to find anywhere that has one to view,look ok online! Sorry about the "****" LOL !!ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

sorry that it offends people when the problems with Avondale are brought up but this is a genuine problem. We have a list as long as our arm of the faults with our 14 month old Avondale. Faults include cracked and front panels, we are having to have a complete new floor and many more faults corrected. I advise that you keep a close eye on your panels, I have seen the queue of vans at my dealers waiting for the panels to be replaced. I have pointed out the cracks to many of my fellow ralliers the same as they were pointed out to me. This is not a new problem it as been going on for a few years, we pay a lot of money for these vans and the workmanship is rubbish. I am very disheartened with Avondale and don't think I would purchase one again.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie

I personally value your opinion very much,as it's important to hear all sides, if their are problems with a maufacturer then its good to know, I purchased my Lunar and only afterwards did I find out they has a reputation for leaking,touch wood I dont seem to have had a problem yet!!

Sorry about your avondale,maybe a bad batch? I think it's how the dealers treat you when you have a problem thats the key issue and british dealers/manufacturers seem to be appalling.

Take care Tina x

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we've got a sterling jewel and had cracked rear panel it was repaired under warranty we looked cos we saw a new back panel being fitted when ours was in for servicing our next van is due soon a bailey indiana wouldnt have another sterling after all the probs we had

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie

You had no way offend me I wound soon be told about problems with a caravan. So I now to keep a eye out for them in case some think comes up.

We have had a some thing wrong with our caravan but the deal has sorted them no of them being bad ones.

I must agree with Tina cud be so thick to do with deal or a bad batch.

Mark

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
hi tina, are you still looking into changing your caravan have you thought about a sterling caravan same layout as the bailey and avondale, we have been looking around one today it is a really nice caravan we would have had it but our car is not heavy enough to pull it we was very tempted it had loads more storage than ours.

sharon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts