Awning groundsheet poll

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Who uses a floor covering in their awning?
What I would like to know is if you use anything to cover the ground in your awning is it permeable (maybe like the woven matting that is sold to fit) or is it impermeable like a plastic sheet?
If you use the impermeable variety have you ever been told you can't use because it damages the grass?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have the woven awning "carpet" that fits the awning. It is permeable. I have been to sites where the rules clearly state permeable grounds sheets only on grass. Sensible really. As the possible next user of a pitch, I would like the grass to be left as healthy as it can be by my predecessor.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We you these link together matting, great, especially on very wet ground.

SUN11_JW7000_1.jpg

And very easy to clean, a hose and a strong brush,

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We use the fitted permeable carpet in the awning and the linked rules in the annex. The site we are on at the moment does not allow any type at all. Plus cars must be parked on the gravel car park.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A few years back we used to use a groundsheet/awning carpet called Softex. Although it still exists the material is nothing like the original which was breathable, spongy soft, warm and easy cleaned. No idea why they changed the formula. The only drawback we had with it was that it dont fold down to easily.
Nowadays we use the Bolon carpet from Isabella, who by the way recommend a system that would take a week to lay as well as destroy the grass, and I quote

Groundcover and ComfortCarpet

Flooring for comfort layer upon layer

Start by laying GroundCover over an area bigger than the awning to protect the mudflaps and awning materials. Then lay IsabellaFloor over the entire awning area, remember the edging strips for a neat finish especially in doorways. A ComfortCarpet keeps the heat in and is soft and comfortable to walk on. Finally, lay a Bolon awning carpet for a beautiful finish that’s easy to keep clean.

Regardless of the grass, would you go to that much trouble?

On the same subject, Isabella do a bag of clips called Bolon Grips (i think) that clip onto the edge of you carpet and you can then peg through them without making holes in your carpet. These work on most of the woven carpets.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Many modern tents have a sewn in or zipped in groundsheets to reduce draughts. I am sure that they are effective. Don't know if they are permeable. I wonder why we don't get them in awnings?
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Many modern tents have a sewn in or zipped in groundsheets to reduce draughts. I am sure that they are effective. Don't know if they are permeable. I wonder why we don't get them in awnings?
mel

My three man tent has its own integral groundsheet but it’s not permeable.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unless it really wet , do we really need an awning groundsheet. ? And if its wet then the thin ones will just let water through.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Personally use a permeable carpet and have the 'jigsaw blocks' and a bit of old 'softex' matting, then kitted up for grass (if allowed by the site) or hardstanding, clean floor in the awning preventing grit or gravel treading into the van.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have not used the awning in the last couple of years, but before that we never used any floor covering and never had a problem, although we try to use hard standings anyway. Unless you are on very wet grass we cannot see that it is needed but we might be alone in that one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
We have not used the awning in the last couple of years, but before that we never used any floor covering and never had a problem, although we try to use hard standings anyway. Unless you are on very wet grass we cannot see that it is needed but we might be alone in that one.

Very useful if you have a dog that likes to keep picking up the gravel on hardstandings then bringing them to you. If you ignore her she would then swallow them. Thankfully that habits passed.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of what surface I am on I always put the awning carpet down for that little bit of comfort knowing I can come out the caravan without my socks on and not stand on nothing that's going to cut me .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most of this year has been hard Standing’s. Still use the breathable groundsheet, covered with the Hutch style Aldi square mats. An old off cut of carpet runs from the awning entrance to the caravan door. Keeps the eight wet paws dry B)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts