Awning question re the bottom flaps

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Well that's my thoughts on how they should be positioned, and to my mind thats the logical way to arrange them.
I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong shortly.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
I don't have that bother with water ingress, reason being I never use the awning now. With only me and SWMBO it's not worth the hassle, plus I have a large van.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
My Kampa porch definitely has the flaps inside - the only way to fit according to the position of the 'toggles' to which the ladder straps attach - these are on the outside of the lower awning edge.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My Kampa porch definitely has the flaps inside - the only way to fit according to the position of the 'toggles' to which the ladder straps attach - these are on the outside of the lower awning edge.
Same on our Vango. To put the flaps outside would mean putting holes through the flaps with the pegs

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Same with our Bradcott though it does have eyelets in the skirting.

D

Deleted member 23278

Our Dometic porch is an 'innie' but the Fiamma Zip when used as an awning can be an 'innie' or an 'outie'.

We've been on pitches where it wouldn't have mattered since the water seemed to be coming upwards. Memorably at the end of a massive, squally, thunderstorm when we were in Zeeland (South Netherland). We'd got the awning (Fiamma Zip) 'nailed down' because my wife, when getting water, had been warned by a Dutch lady that we were soon to have 'scary weather' and, Oh yes, she wasn't half right!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In most cases it is determined by the awning's design, all the Isabellas we have had can only be set flaps inwards as the pegging down rings are mounted outside of a continuous flap. Here you would need to punch holes by each ring to pass the bungee through the flap, to set the flap externally.

There are awning designs where the flap is designed to be set externally, some winter awning being of that type; then there are others where two flaps are used so internal and external setting coexist.

I would have thought it would be obvious which way any particular awning is designed to be used.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have an Isabella and we always have the flaps inside a to us it makes more sense. We peg down the flaps inside and then place the awning carpet on top. Probably why the flaps on the inside awning wall that goes against the side of the caravan are inside and not outside? However it is up to the individual to decide what they want and not us. :unsure:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have an Isabella and we always have the flaps inside a to us it makes more sense. We peg down the flaps inside and then place the awning carpet on top. Probably why the flaps on the inside awning wall that goes against the side of the caravan are inside and not outside? However it is up to the individual to decide what they want and not us. :unsure:
With the Magnum, or our older one, you have no choice unless you cut holes or slits in the flaps but have them inside.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But the OP did ask us for advice and general consensus seems to be that many members awnings are designed for the flaps to be inside, and to do otherwise requires modification to the flap. It’s not a difficult decision then for the OP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts