Awning rail plastic strip

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to ask in my other post about the awning rail plastic strip that covers the fixing screws, can someone please tell me what width it is, I took it for granted they're all the same widths across all caravans but not so, been on eBay and there's a range of widths, my caravan is a 1991 abi sun star award, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sean
No sorry, I think it will be best for you to measure it as many older caravans have parts fitted that either are not original equipment or just what happened to be available in the manufacturer's parts dept at the time...

ABI were better than most and highly organised in their ordering, parts and production runs ( I know some folks may disagree, but for what its worth that's my view. However I still think that with such a large length of trim you don't want to make a costly mistake so its out with the ruler I'm afraid.

I've responded to your other topic here:
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/51952-i-need-some-special-tools#405319
and Damian has given you the details you need in his post.... (Damian is an expert, highly skilled and knowledgeable caravan engineer/technician who has been so engaged for many years as well as being our forum moderator along with Parksy
Good luck with the restoration and if you have the time take some photos and post them up here on the forum as it may encourage other folks to see how you have done it.
Regards
paws

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link, your right there's loads of info, to be honest mate it's not a get out but with regards to the photos, I've not taken many, my method was to get a good note pad, a tape measure and a digital vernier for measuring the timber thicknesses and polystyrene insulation, after that we just stripped out the rotten timbers and just took note of where each one was placed and where there were any aluminium panels bonded under the ply wall boards, these are for the bunk beds and table supports, the tools we used for stripping out the timbers were good sharp wood chisels of various sizes, an old pointing trowel cut down and the point removed, this was used to separate the ply from the polystyrene, wall paper scrapper to remove the polystyrene insulation from the aluminium outside skin and some old pointed sharp kitchen knives to dig out the rotten wood, the best bit of advice I can pass on is, take your time and work methodically.

Sean.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a load of red insert this was used for my 1989 caravan inbox me the width as this is quite thin compared to later vans easy to insert once you start with a flat head screwdriver also don't mind sending a piece to try first

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi Klurgen, is it red or burgundy, we've been to O'Leary's today and saw some burgundy, our caravan has white, well it should be white but it's every colour but lol, I think burgundy would look quite nice as there's a burgundy stripe on our caravan, we need 50 metres of trim 12mm wide, I would have sent you a private message but I can't find a private message section, cheers mate.

Sean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts