Awning Rail Protector good or bad?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
What's everyone's thoughts on using an awning rail protector?

To essentially stop all the water creating streaks running down from the side of caravan?

Good idea or useless? :)

1713933274643.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did not bother buying one as in late autumn the van would get a good wash and sprayed with Fenwicks Overwintering. Yes the van could look grubby as the Fenwicks did its job but it wasn’t washed again till spring when the grime just washed off. During the better weather it didn’t seem to attract black streaks but it did get occasional wipe downs jut to remove road muck. That was my routine for all of our caravans.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We put one on our caravan and it did prevent annoying streaks from marking the sides of our caravan it your choice to make if you want one.

JDP

Nov 2, 2020
Visit site
Apart from reducing the black streaks on mine I also find that it keeps the awning track clear and free of dirt and insects ready for a nice smooth awning installation

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Rather depends on the van design, if the water spills over the side then it will deflect that away from directly tracking down the van side. For long term storage this could be useful, in particular if it "throws" the water clear of the window and its seals.

Vans featuring raised side edges, then the water tends not to track down the sides but over the ends. There, being on the side rail IMO it adds nothing of merit.

Our vans have been the latter, plus I almost always deploy an awning or Shadow sheet, and as said having a strip to add to the hassle is something I can do without.

The "Prof" has it. There is a whole lot of people making a living off "feeding" hobbyists, this hobby seems very good yield territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS