awning rail

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon, the best way is to remove the rail, clean all the old mastic off both rail and van, apply new mastic and replace the rail.

Removal is by taking out the plastic fill strip along the length of the rail, under this are lots of screws, many of which wil probably be rusty.

Remove them all, and use new stainless steel screws when replacing the rail.

Ease the rail off the van taking care not to bend it.

scarpe the majority of old mastic off th erail and thoroughly clean with white spirit.

Use a plastic scraper on the van to remove most of the mastic , clean all the remainder off with white spirit.

Apply new mastic, either ribbon type or Silkaflex gun applied , and replace the rail.

Refit the fill strip.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

The job is tecnically quite easy but a bit labour intensive so a dealer will charge a fair bit but theres no harm in asking a dealer.

a cordless drill speeds the job up and a second pair of hands to hold the rail as it is removed/replaced is also useful, dont overtighten the screws.

Replacing the screw cover strip is the most difficult part of the job, buy some new strip and do it on a warm day slippiing one edge of the strip in first and using something like a thin plastic spatula to slide along pushing the other edge in, a spray of wd40 or similar on the strip will also help.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
wasnt there a step by step guide in a Practical Caravan not too long ago,if i am not dreaming they had a little tool to refit the strip.I'll try and find the issue number when i finish work

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Simon,

My husband and I have just resealed our Awning rail.

There is a step by step guide in the Haynes caravan manual.

It took us about hour a day to remove, reseal and insert new black strip.

The black insert strip costs about

Feb 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Simon,

My husband and I have just resealed our Awning rail.

There is a step by step guide in the Haynes caravan manual.

It took us about hour a day to remove, reseal and insert new black strip.

The black insert strip costs about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts