Awnings, how do you do yours?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In the past, I have always put the roof in, done the poles, and then added the panels. Same in reverse for taking it down. Being vertically challenged, I find it easier, but this time Im going for it up and down in one.

I was watching a manufacturers video in which he sprays Aquatex into the channel before feeding the profile through and claims it makes it far easier so I am going to try that. Its either an epiphany or hes just trying to sell the stuff. We shall see.

One other thing, very simple really that is going to make it possible. When stood on the caravan step, I was at finger tips to the top of the van making it a stretch to pull the canvas through. So whats the answer, simples, a higher step. In twenty years of caravanning, that litle pearl has only just occured to me. :(

Packing the thing away has always been the hardest job for me, but same video, and we have had a practise and its actually very simple. :lol:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I use a silicon based spray on the railing but I have only had to do it once and it still seems to glide effortlessly into position. For me I slide the top in, pump up the poles and peg it out. Ten minutes tops for the porch awning and only twenty for the full length air frame. Packing away is much the same although I was a tentist for many years so folding canvass is ingrained in my soul and I try to do it without interferance formthe children who are only trying to help (bless their cottons).

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I always put it up myself, it made more sense that having a foreperson stood there telling me what I was doing wrong, :whistle: much better that she made the tea, :eek:hmy: with a bit of practice 20mins tops.
first arrange all the poles roughly to where they go, on the floor so as to be near at hand, sort the awning to a pile at the front [cos it was lower that end] slide cord into rail, the attach a bungee cord to the btm back corner of the cover, thread the cord as high as possible, round the first bend [at the top] then with a combination of threading and pulling on the bungee, thread it round to the back, quick look out side to make sure it is even, *** inside arrange the roof poles, legs and stretches, at roughly head hight, make them all tight, then lift the legs to the required length, *** out side again make sure it is square, peg it all down , done !!!.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
As with your good self Thingy I find myself vertically challenged :(
I use to carry a aliminium 3 tread step ladder in the front locker ....adding to the NW :lol:
I then purchased these Steps and now find I dont need the step ladder, mind you I did take them for the full awning just in case but could have still got away with the step.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thingy, you mention Aquatex so I'm assuming I've watched the same you tube video as yourself. As yet I haven't used the Aquatex, keep forgetting to buy one when I visited the accessory shop, but I have used the Thetford lubricant spray which has also been suggested for awning rails. It does make a bit of difference. I remember a few years ago with previous awning I spent some time going over the beading with an ordinary candle. Time consuming but for the rest of the time I had that awning it flew around the channel, might try it again but the thought of unfolding the awning at home, then going round the beading with the candle before folding it all back up again puts me off.
Going back to the videos, I've tried to copy his way of erecting and putting away the awning and have found it easier than my previous efforts. Some of his tips are pretty much common sense, don't know why I hadn't thought of it before. He still makes it look easy though. I used to take all the panels out before taking the awning down but since watching the video do it as a complete unit.
For anyone interested in having a look at the video it is the Isabella erecting an awning one, sorry I don't have the link but you will be able to access it either from the Isabella website or google search. Both the erecting and packing away videos are worth a look but as I said he makes it look a lot easier than certainly I can manage.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For Robtel, dont forget he is doing it all the time, for us its a couple or three times per year.

For Gagakev, I looked at that step and checked it against one on ebay, which was actually 30mm higher than the Milenco, so for obvious reasons I went for that. Same here, we carried an ali stepladder in later months but this new step makes all the difference and such a simple thing too. This is the step I went for, height 420mm as opposed to Milencos 390mm
41Sc2xUJ3TL.jpg

The thing I did notice in the video is that the guy puts the awning up from the back, his logic being that once around the corner its virtually holding its own weight. Thats the way Im going to go for, fingers crossed. Starnge to think that all these years the awning has been a struggle, but with a bit of out the box thinking and getting out of deep ingrained mehtods, there may be light at the end of the tunnel for us shorties.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone used the quest awning rail lubricant ? if so do you spray the rail or the awning rubber, does it dry up or run how long will it last.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have used it. I generally use before each trip IF I intend to use the awning. Generally lasts long enough to get to the site and put the awning up. However I dont spray directly onto the rail, I have an 8" long piece of old awning profile which I coat generously and pull it through the rail on a bit of rope.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
The wonders of You-tube, We only have a porch awning but watching a "how to put it up" video has made life a lot easier on our 2-week break. And I put it up all on my own.....................I make sure "her indoors " is inside and then do it so she cant get out. ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We ( meaning OH) use a professional "hop up" from Wickes to give extra height. Lightweight, folds, gives you a work platform, then forms a handy occasional table once the awning is up.
Mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We ( meaning OH) use a professional "hop up" from Wickes to give extra height. Lightweight, folds, gives you a work platform,

A good idea, its amazing when you examine it exactly how other people go about the same task.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm not vertically challenged nor a weed. But to pull the when awning ,panels and all, would beat me :(
The Isabella porch and main awnings would be all but impossible to erect and dismantle as a whole unit.
The air awning is different but still requires Herculean effort to drag it through the rail. We use plenty of silicone spray.
SWMBO feeds pushes whilst I pull.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
With our porch awning we fold the awning up after use with the front panel separate and therefore put it back up with the roof and sides, then add the front afterwards before pegging. The OH has a broom handle with a hook in the end to pull the awning through the rail whilst I feed it in. (It is not a witches broom handle before anyone asks :evil: ).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts