Bad design or lack of thought in caravans.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've added loads of Command Strip hooks all over the van for hanging coats, clothes, keys and towels as the only included ones were a hand towel hoop and a single hook in the washroom.

My main gripe which applies to virtually all caravans, is where the hell does one put dirty Aquarolls and Wastemasters? They are almost a required purchase for each caravan, but there is zero provision for their storage. Gas Locker? they'd probably fit with a single gas bottle, but nope, door aperture is too narrow. A Motorhome style "garage" would solve that issue; a small locker isolated from the interior, which could hold all your "service" items would be great.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We got bags for both auqaroll and wastemaster, and then travel with them on the floor of the caravan wedged in by some of the 4 billion cushions they seem to think are a good idea. At least until you make the beds up at night and then you have to find somewhere for the cushion mountain.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Where to start.....

We have a hanging rail in the bathroom that is supported by two u shape fixings. The first bump you go over it jumps out.

Not only that it's too near a wall cupboard to take a clothes hanger the normal way. Even if you did hang something on it, it's directly over the toilet so the clothes would be in the way. It's now in the garage going rusty.

Along with the plate rack that's too small and lose fitting to begin be of any use. Ditto the mug holder.

The shower door doesn't have a drip strip at the bottom....yet....so water just runs down the door and into the main living area. It's on my list to fix before next outing.

One I've mentioned before is a 13A socket so close to the floor you can't plug anything into it. Turned through 90degs to fix it.
For the house we have used a company called 'showerdoc.com' for replacement seals fo an over-bath shower screen. On the website go to bathroom products>seals and see of they supply what you need. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer!

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We got bags for both auqaroll and wastemaster, and then travel with them on the floor of the caravan wedged in by some of the 4 billion cushions they seem to think are a good idea. At least until you make the beds up at night and then you have to find somewhere for the cushion mountain.
We do the same, but it's a bit of a pain if we stop for a toilet break as we have to move them all to get to the bathroom

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I've added loads of Command Strip hooks all over the van for hanging coats, clothes, keys and towels as the only included ones were a hand towel hoop and a single hook in the washroom.

My main gripe which applies to virtually all caravans, is where the hell does one put dirty Aquarolls and Wastemasters? They are almost a required purchase for each caravan, but there is zero provision for their storage. Gas Locker? they'd probably fit with a single gas bottle, but nope, door aperture is too narrow. A Motorhome style "garage" would solve that issue; a small locker isolated from the interior, which could hold all your "service" items would be great.
I used to take the wheels off the wastemaster to fit it in the front locker. I think it fitted with two bottles in our Pageant S6.
No front locker in the Pegasus though (I don't miss it) so see above post ^^

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I bag aqua and wastemaster if not on serviced pitch otherwise leave at home, our bailey rimini has a reasonable size wardrobe but no good for long item but there’s a false floor which we leave out then it doubles and is great for her indoors longer items, I’ve talked her to leave some of the cushions at home which helps, we got home Sunday from a 23 night trip to mablethorpe so needed every inch of space we could find, my wife takes far too many clothes.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bag aqua and wastemaster if not on serviced pitch otherwise leave at home, our bailey rimini has a reasonable size wardrobe but no good for long item but there’s a false floor which we leave out then it doubles and is great for her indoors longer items, I’ve talked her to leave some of the cushions at home which helps, we got home Sunday from a 23 night trip to mablethorpe so needed every inch of space we could find, my wife takes far too many clothes.

BP
We always carry aquaroll and waste master with us as sometimes if away for a few weeks invariably you will have to stay on a site that does not have fully serviced pitches.
BTW does anyone know of a wife that does not take 6 months clothes for a week away? LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have the kit to use aFSP without Aquaroll but never feel safe even though the direct connection has a pressure reducer. Aquaroll always travels in its bag. In fact on non FSP we take two Aquaroll, bagged😎😎. The biggest issue is all the hairdryer and heated tongs for you know whose hair😉😉

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We always try to book a fully service pitch but when we was away in Derbyshire the pitch had a tap but we always carry a waste carrier just in case but it was a adult park :)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
For the house we have used a company called 'showerdoc.com' for replacement seals fo an over-bath shower screen. On the website go to bathroom products>seals and see of they supply what you need. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer!

Thanks for the link - they have just what I need.

Thankyou

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure with a bit of thought a new shape 'Wastemaster and Aquaroll' - and with the co-operation with caravan companies - could be designed to be fitted in a carrier underneath the van. Empty that is.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the kit to use aFSP without Aquaroll but never feel safe even though the direct connection has a pressure reducer. Aquaroll always travels in its bag. In fact on non FSP we take two Aquaroll, bagged😎😎. The biggest issue is all the hairdryer and heated tongs for you know whose hair😉😉

Maybe it is time to consider trimming your armpits? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure with a bit of thought a new shape 'Wastemaster and Aquaroll' - and with the co-operation with caravan companies - could be designed to be fitted in a carrier underneath the van. Empty that is.
A collapsible 40L aquaroll and a collapsible 40L wastemaster would be ideal.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We already carry a caravan collapsible water 11Lt folding bucket carrier just in case i can just manage to fill at the tap

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn’t be a problem if I were to take 4 aqua rolls as let’s face it, the weight of an empty aqua roll is negligible and it’s of no consequence when travelling with them inside the caravan as they aren’t exactly in anyone’s way and it would take 5 minutes to line them up at rear of caravan so In what way is it a problem carrying them? having a bracket under the van to store the empty aqua roll would be much more of a pain and I doubt anyone would use it.

BP

May 24, 2014
Visit site
TBH, I have a 40 litre onboard tank and never use it. Just a waste to me. I have to fill the aquaroll to fill the onboard tank.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have an onboard tank plus two aquarolls. Now we would not consider a caravan without an onboard tank. It comes in handy when on a fully serviced pitch. With just the one aquaroll we have 80 litres of continuous water supply. On many CLs you can simply drain into the hedge.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a fully serviced pitch, your hooked up to the mains, so why worry about the on board tank, except in the middle of winter when the supply could freeze up.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting that having the water containers stored underneath the van would be where they are used like an on board tank. View it in much the same way as having an underslung spare wheel. At the rear of my van there appears to be enough clearance that the wastemaster - without its larger end piece - could slide into a retained carrier and pulled out when needed. A flatter water carrier might similarly be able to be stored there.

Given that manufacturers are always on the look out for differentiators this could be one.

It just seems a tidier solution to me than having them rattle around in the van. I don't see it as any trouble to use if designed properly. Just undo the retainer and slide out.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have an onboard tank plus two aquarolls. Now we would not consider a caravan without an onboard tank. It comes in handy when on a fully serviced pitch. With just the one aquaroll we have 80 litres of continuous water supply. On many CLs you can simply drain into the hedge.
our caravan has not got a on board tank but we have no problem on fully service pitches :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts