bad tasting water

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My experience is that it does not matter what you do, it will always taste minging. We only use bottled water now for drinking and food preparation. Just like being abroad really, except minus the sunburn.

Jimbo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jimbo,

Have you had your pipes replaced?

There relay is no need for caravan water to have a poor taste. If it is from the pipe work, and you are still in warranty go back to your dealer and demand pipes that don't taint the water. Most modern house now have plastic water pipes and they don't taste, so why should caravans have any lower quality pipework.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I purge our complete water system twice per season, ie after about 40 nights away. We have two Filtapac rechargeable filters fitted, one in main inlet pipe and an extra one in the kitchen cold supply. We just don't have a problem with bad water. Cups of tea are fine and I've tried lots of brands of malt whisky with a little water and enjoyed the lot. I'd be interested to see a survey of caravan brands which have bad water, my Bailey certainly doesn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I purge our complete water system twice per season, ie after about 40 nights away. We have two Filtapac rechargeable filters fitted, one in main inlet pipe and an extra one in the kitchen cold supply. We just don't have a problem with bad water. Cups of tea are fine and I've tried lots of brands of malt whisky with a little water and enjoyed the lot. I'd be interested to see a survey of caravan brands which have bad water, my Bailey certainly doesn't.
I should have added that I use Puriclean which is chlorine-based. Even Milton is chlorine-based.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I my brand new typhoon had foul tasting water. I found that after about a year it sorted itself out. wouldn't normally drink the water anyway.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi all we had the same trouble, tried all of the solutioned as mentioned then read an article and think it was in PC mag re using Bi carb of soda, we tried this and have no further trouble, hope this helps

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi worth a try but try changing or borrowing another pump , i have seen the same problem in a Sterling van , they did all the things you have said then he smelt the pump , changed that goodbye bad taste.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the same problem with our Bailey Ranger. Water tastes plasticy. We have tried everything and have now given up. We bought a 5 litre water container from a caravan dealership and use that for drinking. We tried asking the service department to change the pipe work under warrenty. They blame the aqua roll - so we have given up and resorted to a separate water bottle which is no hardship

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bad tasting water is caused by letting the purifying fluid into the water heater only ever open the cold tap when running this through.Had this last year on an Abbey the only way we cured it was to replace the complete water system from the Aquaroll right through to the taps incl. all pipe work and the water heater.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the same problem with our Bailey Ranger. Water tastes plasticy. We have tried everything and have now given up. We bought a 5 litre water container from a caravan dealership and use that for drinking. We tried asking the service department to change the pipe work under warrenty. They blame the aqua roll - so we have given up and resorted to a separate water bottle which is no hardship
Hello Caroline,

I have heard of Aquaroll's sometimes being the culprit. It should be easy to check, by using some other container, or even by using your aquarol at home.

If you still belive it is the caravan pipes, then hopefully you have some record of yur prevous reports of the problem to the dealer. Write to them again recalling the date of the previous reports and again ask them to replace the pipework. If they refuse - contact trading standards, as they have supplied faulty goods and have failed to honour thier legal requirement to repair or replace.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brought my van out after a short winter lay-up this year and went down to chester cc site----water tasted plasticy----after I got home I flushed the system out thouroughly using milton---I kept the van at the house for a few days, just to periodically check the water and it was fine after that--went up to Coniston CC site a few weeks later, same thing again, Plasticy----started using bottled water----came home flushed the system again, then went abroad for 4 weeks, water was fine. I drained the system before travelling home.---Went up to coniston cc site a few weeks later, first cup of tea from the kettle---plastic!!----now here we are renewing pipework, flushing systems, and maybe not looking for the simple---I check with lad in the next van and he concurred about the water. My next move is to contact North West Water regarding what treatments they are using, but for the moment we will be using bottled water-----I repeated the tests at home again and for a week the water was fine, ---

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,

You might find that it's the sites water supply that has the taste to it.

I went through the same thing. I now haven't flushed the water all year and on some sites it's fine on others there is the taste.

Note that most sites have plastic pipes to the taps on the fields. It only takes one pipe or fitting to give the taste to the water.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
I would never consider using water stored inboard for drinking purpose`s over a certain lenth of time there must be some form of possible contamination especially when the van is not being used on a regular basis and so not getting flushed regually also a lot of caravans manufacturer`s seem to have done away with water filters which only gave you protection up to your van anyway did`nt help if you had dirty inboard pipes. Always used 4ltr plastic bottles myself. I put the taste of a lot of the water problem down to the amount of florodine that the different counties add to their water supplies sometimes this can be very strong I find leaving the bottle standing with the top off help`s quite considerably. Could try brewing beer in it instead taste better than the water dont know showering though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts