Baie de Somme (Aire) to Montignac?

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
We go to Montignac each year with our caravan (pre Covid), normally stay overnight in Baie de Somme (Aire) and then go via Paris all the way to Montignac. We've managed to avoid the A86 tunnel around Versailles, but only by going around the houses. I'm told there are even more restrictions now in Paris. Can anyone confirm?

We're hoping not to have to go via Rouen as this adds a lot of time to the jorney.

if we did have to go via Rouen, can anyone recommend an overnight site really close to the route to break the journey up (we have two kids, one autistic so the extra two hours that way will be a problem). Maybe somewhere between Rouen and Chartres?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......last time I was at the Baie de Somme their was police signage advising not to stay overnight in the secluded caravan area. The warnings were about thefts and damage that they regularly had to deal with.
I would of said it was quicker to go via Rouen myself but each to their own route.
There is a good stopover on a municipal site at Chartres

Last edited:
May 16, 2022
Visit site
We go to Montignac each year with our caravan (pre Covid), normally stay overnight in Baie de Somme (Aire) and then go via Paris all the way to Montignac. We've managed to avoid the A86 tunnel around Versailles, but only by going around the houses. I'm told there are even more restrictions now in Paris. Can anyone confirm?

We're hoping not to have to go via Rouen as this adds a lot of time to the jorney.

if we did have to go via Rouen, can anyone recommend an overnight site really close to the route to break the journey up (we have two kids, one autistic so the extra two hours that way will be a problem). Maybe somewhere between Rouen and Chartres?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Hi

If travelling from Calais, I can recommend Camping st Clair in Neufchatel an bray. Great site near enough to main A28, can also be booked in advance as gets many visitors doing a one nighter.
Enjoy safe travels

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used a municipal site in La Ferte St Aubin just south of Orleans and off of the autoroute. But it may be a little too far south for you.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi

If travelling from Calais, I can recommend Camping st Clair in Neufchatel an bray. Great site near enough to main A28, can also be booked in advance as gets many visitors doing a one nighter.
Enjoy safe travels
I haven't used this site for afew years, but it was very good, little resteraunt on site as well, we stayed for about 2 weeks. They also made a motorhome pay and drive in about 200 yards down the road from it, for over nighters.
Also a good vet nearby for going back to the UK,

Reactions: MonkeySocks
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are travellig through France this summer. Is there a website resource that lists the municipal sites?
No aware of one but I used the CMHC French touring handbook that list municipal sites as well as a large number of commercial sites. But I’m sure that there are websites that cover municipal and commercial. We found the handbook worked for us as the copilot could be searching for nearby en route sites without the need for gps or data access. You can pre book most municipals too if you wanted, but we didn’t find them overly full in June when we visited.

May 3, 2021
Visit site
No aware of one but I used the CMHC French touring handbook that list municipal sites as well as a large number of commercial sites. But I’m sure that there are websites that cover municipal and commercial. We found the handbook worked for us as the copilot could be searching for nearby en route sites without the need for gps or data access. You can pre book most municipals too if you wanted, but we didn’t find them overly full in June when we visited.
thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also used the CMHC booklet for France, almost every site, farms, municiple, private etc. included. Well worth the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts