Bailey or Eldis

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
We are looking to buy our first caravan in the new year. (4/5 berth up to 1100kg) So far, we have only looked at Bailey caravans as these were recomended to us. We would be looking to spend about 3k and so have been looking at mid to late 90's Beachcomber models. However, while looking on e-bay, I saw that for my 3k I can get a newer Eldis. Advice much appreciated

Stuart

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
elddis better than bailey you must be joking. had a brand new elddis and needed to take a toolbox with me everytime we went away it was rubbish!! got a bailey now had it for 2 years and toolbox never been out.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart,

We had a a Bailey Ranger 470/4 and never had any problems with the van.

Have now ordered a Bailey Pageant Bretagne so it must be saying something.

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on our second and last Bailey. This one has no tool box as its practically lived with the dealer for its first year.

Its keyring is a service tag.

We had an Elddis previously and never had any problems with it.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi Stuart

we have a 2003 Elddis Avante Firestorm (475)and we have had very little trouble with it except for a bit of tweaking on hinges etc with a screwdriver. We bought it baout a year ago as our first caravan and found it to be really good as a family tourer for our first season. We are currently thinking of selling it as my wife wants to change to a rear washroom model for next year.

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. I'm still non the wiser. I'm thinking I have to get off my bum and go and look at as many vans as possible. I'm guessing that caravans are a bit like cars, you are always going to get a superb one, and then find a 'friday afternoon' model with nothing but tales of woe. Thanks for the advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stuart,

I do not think you should have been surprised by the results so far, As you have pointed out there are good an bad vans from most manufacturers, and having seen the build techniques in a number of different factories, I am not surprised at the variability of finish of most new caravans.

You might hope that by buying second-hand, that the faults found in new caravans would have been sorted out, and that should be true, but a whole new set of variable begin to have an influence on the product, and the older a unit is the greater effect these will have.

How much a caravan has been used by its previous owners,

Was it heavy use of a boisterous familiy or more restrained owner

Have they maintained if fully or skipped the odd service.

Is their a damp issue

How many miles has it done,

Whilst the above is not exclusive, it may give an indication of the additional considerations you may need to have - And you can begin to see that these may have more influence on the condition of older caravans than the just manufacturer.

My advice, is look at all the available caravans that meet your size and layout specification, and by using your own knowledge and senses identify the van that best meets your needs and condition expectations.

If you feel less confident about assessing a particular caravan, ask a caravanning friend you trust or engage an independent assessor to give the van a survey.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
On our second Bailey No:1 was a Beachcomber 350/2, and NO:2 is a Ranger 470/4 and to be honest, I cannot fault them in any way.

No problems whasoever!

Andrew

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart

Whilst I am a Bailey man I did hire an Elldis Avante a few years ago with no problems.

However ask yourself why Bailey were the first manufacturer to give a six year water ingress warranty. Quality control and attention to detail has made Bailey the great manufacturer they are.

Make sure you choose a good dealer if you are not buying privately.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
had ! Elddis, 1 Bailey - no probs with either, now onto ACE. However at this age of caravan it wonn't matter the make as long as it isn't damp, no delamination and everything works. It will boil down to your preference over interior fixtures and furnishings

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Just to confirm that buying used caravans is a bit like buying cars, everyone has a preference. I would confirm John L's advice. Pick the layout that you want giving due regard to weights etc. I would then choose the best condition van I could get for my money, rather than stick out for a particulaar make. I personally wouldn't consider E bay with this type of purchase. In that price range a good private buy might get you more than you would get from a dealer. Perhaps you could try one of the club magazines. Do check that the seller is Kosher if you buy private. Happy hunting.

Rob

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi Stuart

We bought an 2003 Elddis Avante last october and used all through the season. We are a family of 4 and our Elddis Firestorm 475 (based on avante) has served us very well for a first caravan. It was great to tow as is is fairly light (approx 1100kg I think). The avante is a 5 berth and we had no problems other than a loose hinge which was easily fixed. We are selling the van as while wnadering around the site in the summer my wife saw an end washroom layout and thought she might like one of those!!

We hope to sell privately and then go hunting for our next van.

I think the Elddis has been a wonderful van and hope to get another if possible.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi there,

I have never owned an elddis, but i have owned 2 Bailey caravans and I must say have been delighted with both!

Firstly I had a Bailey Beachcomber (1995) and it was nothing short of brilliant. The build quality was superb and very lightweight.I only sold it last August to make way for a bigger van. My current van is a Bailey Ranger 470/4 (2005)again, lightweight 972kg (unladen).

Would i buy another Bailey? absolutely!

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must agree with Andrew, although never owned an Elldis we have had two Baileys 500/5 and neither have proved any problems and both very comfortable, easy to tow and easy to manhandle even at my mature age.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts