Bailey or Swift

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Huw

I'm sure you will be happy with your new van.

What's all the fuss about stainless screws someone said?

Well there is non unless you'r one of the poor sods who buy your van 7 years down the road, only to find that all the external screws hidden under the plastic strips that cover the van, are just about all rusting a way.

On my 7 year old Avondale, all 200 screws were rusting! The ones on the roof strips front and rear had virtually no heads left, and were impossible to remove.

I was quoted in 2003,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought ss screws were made by mixing the molten steel with molten chromium rather than plating them as in say galvanised screws? I wasn't aware ss scerews are weaker than standard steel??There is a cost implicaton but as Ray says it is pennies.

However it is interesting to see that Ray's Avondale has rust problems yet Icemakers Coachmans have been fine. Maybe Coachman used more sealant?

Materials used in caravan manufacture sem to vary to much for my liking. ABS panels have had their fair share of issues.

Surely in the 21st century the manufacturers would know what does work well long term? LOL

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
As far as i know,ss screws are Not weaker, Coachman were/are using galvanised screws, everyone else ss.

Its nothing to do with the amount of mastic, the screwheads are on show, but hidden under the rubber coverstrip, that runs inparallel with the awning rail for example.

If you lift the end of the strip up at ground level, the srews are revealed, by using a small magnet say 10mmx10mmx3mm, you can test to see if the magnet attaches to the screw head.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Great news huw, i knew you would stick with coachman in the end theres just too many people who rate them very highly for the few that have had problems to make any difference, i think in the last 5 or 6 years ive only read about 2 complaints regarding coachman but absolutely tons about bailey and swift.

my friend who had a bailey senator wyoming rang me just last week to tell me his parents had sold theire motor home and bought a new coachman golden vip 545/4 after they decided my van was far superior to the senator theire son had and he admited if he ever went back to caravans he too would buy only coachman in future.

my vans only just over 2 years old but if i could convince my wife then the one you have bought is the model i would have, the 535/4 is just about perfect for us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts