Bailey or Swift

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
At last a caravan design that both my wife and I like - the new Bailey California. Fixed bed, rear bathroom and single axle. I know there will be compromises but for us I think it will be ideal. The problem I have is that we currently have a Coachman which is very well built and has been trouble free. We are off to the NEC in a fortnight to view similar designs by the Swift group and Lunar. I would welcome your comments as to reliability and build quality of Swift v Bailey ( and for that matter Sterling and Lunar). Weights and price is not an issue - within reason.

Thanks

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
We are currently on Bailey number five. We had issues with number 3 but these were sorted out quickly and without fuss.

Comparing the California (which I love btw!) with the Swift models I would say check the spec. The Bailey has Alko ATC, an omnivent and an onboard water tank ... none of which is standard fit on the Swift/Sterling for 2009.

The Lunar alternative will be interesting to see.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Huw,

Fo rme on our scoring matrix there was next to nothing different between the Bailey and Swift. Both satisfied our needs and requirements.

I think it is very important to buy from a well known reputable dealer. Both makes wil have teething troubles , mostly mionor. A quick painless fix by a good dealer saves the day . A dealer who doesn't care can really spoil the whole experience.

No knowledge on Lunar but they are present on site so must be fairly popular.

Cheers

Alan

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We bought a new Lunar in January 2007 and we have had no trouble at all. We looked at all other manufacturers before settling on Lunar and I would say there is virtually no difference in build quality between Lunar, Bailey and Swift. Previously we had an old Swift and again a good van.These days you get 'good' vans and 'troublesome' vans regardless of manufacturer and until there is a definite quality control it is a matter of keeping your fingers crossed whatever you buy.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have owned many caravans in my many years of caravaning but never a Bailey.

Bailey seemed to have moved on a lot in the last 10 years but I still remember them as a 'budget' quality manufacturer but that has seemed to have changed. I remember wanting to part exchange an Elddis and was offered

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Bill

Bailey still are a budget van, i have a 2004 senator vermont.

A very nice ,cheap,light van.

But compared to my previous van Avondale leda chiltern, the bailey is more down market.

Be aware that the coachman is held together by non stainless steel screws, the same as my avondale was with its 200 rusting external screws, which was the only reason i sold it.

That was the case in 2004, given coachmans attitude at the time ,i cant see it being different.

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess there isn't much to choose between Bailey and Swift and although there are far too many disgruntled customers, the vast majority are happy with their outfits. We will be buying, so I suppose it's down to personal choice, value for money and proximity of dealers. We have a Bailey dealer on our doorstep, so I suppose I'll use that factor as a tie breaker.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I've seen details of the Bailey California and the equivalent Lunar - but cannot find anything similiar from Swift. Which model in the Swift range is it?

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Go for Bailey any time should you be unlucky and have a problem it will be sorted. Re Lunar I had two lunars before Bailey, one Lunar was very bad the other reasonable, have just ordered another Bailey, the Califoria.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We were in the Sterling Ruby at the recent show at the SECC in Glasgow - cracking van, really good design and well built. Took one look in the Bailey and didn't like it, somehow they look more old fashioned.

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
In my opinion - don't touch a Swift - appalling build quality, poor factory back up - for both 'vans and motorhomes and not really that bothered to sort issues - i've had two brand new and won't touch another one. I'm just about to take a huge loss on a 9 month old conqueror 540 'coz i've had enough. Buying Coachman for the piece (i hope) of mind.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
please dont make the same mistake we made !. we had a coachman pastiche 520/4 then a vip 520/4 then a laser 590/4 and had absolutely no problems what so ever with any of them. unfortunately our laser got hit by another vehicle and allthough it was repaired we lost faith in it and traded it for a swift group ace celebration twin axle (based on the ace equirry)allmost from day one we had problems with various items from leaking windows to failled door stays a window that actually fell off the van and ultimately the roof sinking in the rain and jamming against the bathroom door so my wife was stuck in the bathroom. the ace was so poor we kept it just 8 month and sold it at a large loss returning to coachman, we now have a coachman vip 530/4 which we bought new and is now just over 2 years old, it has toured extensivly throughout its time with us summer and winter and has not had one single fault to date.

personaly i think you will regret very much the decision to change to swift or bailey, better to wait as coachman will allmost certainly do the layout you want one day.

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Icemaker, this is exactly the fear I have. As stated, the Coachman has been a superb van, but I want a fixed bed, my wife likes the big washroom and we don't want a big TA. A friend has had two Swifts over the last 6 years or so and has been very pleased. I intend to ask the Coachman reps at the NEC if there's anything in the pipeline. I would actually rather stick with Coachman even though they tend to be heavier and more expensive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Can you Coachman fans confirm they now use stainless steel screws?

I have had Baileys for many years now and each one has been used extensively. Of course they have all had minor issues al of which have been fixed quickly by my dealer. Friends have Swift models and there seem to be mixed feelings but again a good dealer is crucial in whatever you choose.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i dont know what all this fuss is about stainless screws, ive had coachmans since 1998 appart from the short stint with the ace and never ever had a problem, if your going to get moisture in the van to the extent that it rusts the screws through then the vans pretty much knackered anyway so why worry. before becoming a train driver my trade qualification is in refrigeration, in all the cold rooms i have worked in we never used stainless steel screws as the process of coating them made them brittle and unsuitable for low temperatures we encountered. a caravan is subject to much the same conditions in this country but has the added benefit of the screws being sealed with sealent so moisture should not be a problem hence the screws should not rust.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Icemaker

No fuss on my part , just an observation that the "Experts", not me, Say stainless steel fastners should be used where moisture is likely to be encountered. I wondered why they never use zinc plated but no doubt the manufacturers have their own reasons.

We've just laid a massive oak floor in a 16th century hall and the architect demanded we use ss nails for blind nailing. A conventional steel nail would react with the oak and damp and make black marks. One kilo of these ss nails cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Huw

I am sure you have already found that there is no conclusive winner of the best made van. The fact is that all manufactures suffer some problems of one sort or another.

Be wary of seeking views on forums like this, it is a natural occurrence that people tend not to comment about satisfactory things, but will shout loud and long when something goes wrong, so you will inevitable get an unbalanced view from this and other forums.

It's worth bearing in mind that simply looking at the numbers of complaints can also give a distorted veiw. If manufacture A receives 20 complaints and B only 10, it looks as though A is less reliable than B but when you look at the percentage failure rates, Man'r A produces 2,000 vans Man'r B only 200, Man'r B has a 5% failure rate, where as A only has a 1% failure rate.

Neither is good enough, as customers should expect 0% failures.

Sadly there is little predictive information that sorts out the poorest producers, so it is gamble which ever way you go.

Have you considered a second-hand van, where the snags should have been found and fixed? The other potential advantages are lower purchase pricr and it will hold its value better.

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
Hello Huw

I am sure you have already found that there is no conclusive winner of the best made van. The fact is that all manufactures suffer some problems of one sort or another.

Be wary of seeking views on forums like this, it is a natural occurrence that people tend not to comment about satisfactory things, but will shout loud and long when something goes wrong, so you will inevitable get an unbalanced view from this and other forums.

It's worth bearing in mind that simply looking at the numbers of complaints can also give a distorted veiw. If manufacture A receives 20 complaints and B only 10, it looks as though A is less reliable than B but when you look at the percentage failure rates, Man'r A produces 2,000 vans Man'r B only 200, Man'r B has a 5% failure rate, where as A only has a 1% failure rate.

Neither is good enough, as customers should expect 0% failures.

Sadly there is little predictive information that sorts out the poorest producers, so it is gamble which ever way you go.

Have you considered a second-hand van, where the snags should have been found and fixed? The other potential advantages are lower purchase pricr and it will hold its value better.
And i thought word of mouth was the best recomendation? I disagree with the unbalanced view, forums do generally offer the pros and cons from the people contributing, especially this one.

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Huw

Stick with Coachman, the number of Baileys with reported front/rear and now side panel water ingress is getting into rediculus numbers. We know they sell more than anyone else but its them who have problems not Coachman.

Coachman have just gone to 5 year warrenty and 6 years ingress, just missed this with my new 2008 amara, fault free to date and seems excellent build quality, first service on sat but I have no worries at all.

You also need to check out Bailey warrenty limit of

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Huw

l had a Ace Ward Brightstar for the last eighteen months, bought it off a mate at work to see if we would enjoy caravaning again after a 15 year lay off.

We enjoyed it so much decided to look around for a fixed bed tourer, we narrowed the gap between 2 models Bayley Indianna and The Ace Firestar made by Swift.

Our personel view was that the Ace looked the better quality and more up market feel,which the Bailey seemed to lack, this of course come's down to your own personel choice.

l believe both Manufactures to be up their with the best, of course Coachmen are excellent but the price reflects that against Swift or the Bailey.

We bought our van in October from Discover Leisure Warrington who l must say were excellent with us, gave me good price for our van and redused the cost for the last o8 Firestar they had.

With the credit crunch hope you get a good deal which ever van you choose.

Hope this was of some help.

Nigel

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments. Just returned from Caravan Show and after all the fuss, I couldn't make myself change from a Coachman. We liked the open living area of the Bailey California but the rear bathroom was a bit of a disappointment. The Sterling was nice and had some nice touches and washroom was good, but upholstery and tops a bit dull and dark and Swift, despite a suggestion that they were lauching the new Challenger 570 at the show, will not have one available until May. The result of all this is that we paid a liitle bit more to have a quality van which I hope will last us for a long time. The Coachman 535/4 VIP got the nod and I just hope it was the right decision,as it wasn't cheap !

Cheers

Huw

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Huw

I always thought your heart lay with Coachman. Once you have had something that works well for you why change? A good decision and I hope you have many good hols in her.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts