Bailey Pageant Burgundy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello and firstly a Very Happy New Year to all.

Right not sure where to start here we bought a Bailey Pageant Burgundy in July 06 (series5) lovely van etc but as I use a company car to tow it with we explained to our dealer that we would be using a Toyota Avensis in the New Year and would it tow ok. He answered yes no problems. I have since found out from Bailey themselves (very helpful people) that yes it could possibly tow (97.8%) but they would not recomend me towing with the Avensis.

My question is to all you legal eagles out there is have I any recourse with my dealer? If not to all you other non legal people do you know of anywhere that buys nearly new vans as I cant afford to Part ex it for a lighter one (another new awning etc) or buy a car big enough to tow it with as I do about 35000 miles per year for work.

Thanks in advance froma very fed up couple in Blackpool

Dave & Mo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks - first of all happy new year to all !!

I understand your problem totally and it is one of the reasons why - before buying any new van/car - i check out the facts carefully from sources other than the dealers. All too often you here of "unsafe" advice being given about towcars.

From a simplistic point of view I would not advise any "novice" caravanners to tow above the 85% kerbweight rule. After a few years towing consensus appears to favour towing up to 100%. There are also other factors to consider such as engine size/power, types of braking system, suspension etc.. I would imagine Bailey are concerned about something in relation to the Avensis - it may be worth checking with them again.

Given your situation I would personally try towing your outfit on a short - 50 mile - journey on a mix of road types and see how she feels, and try harsh breaking in a safe area.

Good luck anyway!

John

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
As far as I can see, Baileys comments were only recommendations.

As long as you`re not exceeding the permitted towing weight of the car, you`re not doing anything wrong even at 97.8%, and I assume you`ve used this combination since you bought the van anyway.

Did you have power or instability problems or just doing more delving?

If it`s the former I`d just continue and not do anything daft.At least you know what your relative weights are nad can load and behave accordingly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I'm another Dave which you may have seen posting on the forum. I had a similar experience to yours a few years ago. I ordered a new Bailey van and the dealer said no problem towing with my car. However, I checked up with Towsafe online and paid for the outfit match which did not recommend towing the van I had ordered. I went back to my dealer who argued it was still ok, but eventually agreed to let me choose another van because I had a piece of paper from Towsafe in my favour. I think it would have been more difficult after taking delivery though. It still may be worth talking to the dealer if they took your car details and worked out the outfit match with their Towsafe software.If they didn't, go back and ask them why they did not.

Hope you get some satisfaction if you don't feel confident with your van / car match.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my opinoin, dealers will tell us anything to clinch a deal.

I was looking at a van in a very large dealership and was concerned that the van's max laden weight was equal to my car's kerbweight. "Oh don't worry about that cause no-one ever loads a caravan to its full capicity". I did not buy that or any other van from that dealer.

Funny thing is that a few months later, a person from the dealership was on local radio and while being very keen to promote caravanning made a huge point about getting a safe ballance between car and caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I can see, Baileys comments were only recommendations.

As long as you`re not exceeding the permitted towing weight of the car, you`re not doing anything wrong even at 97.8%, and I assume you`ve used this combination since you bought the van anyway.

Did you have power or instability problems or just doing more delving?

If it`s the former I`d just continue and not do anything daft.At least you know what your relative weights are nad can load and behave accordingly.
Angus Thanks for your reply no I havent towed with this combination before I don't get the Avensis till end of Feb this year I currently tow with a VW Sharan 1.9TDI which in itself seems to struggle on motorways with side winds etc with the new Bailey (it is 23ft 6 long) which I think may be causing this I will be calling my dealer today to see what they have to say about this

Thanks again

Dave

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Dave,

A lot of credence is placed on the 85% rule, but it's NOT a rule nor is is a legal requirement, its merely a recommendation!

However, I firmly beleive that its a good one for the inexperienced caravaner to start with.

Once you gain experience, then there's nothing to stop you going to or exceeding a 100% outfit match, providing that it's within the car manufactores limits for that model, and of course you feel comfortable doing it.

Example: my car Audi A4 Avant 2litre TDi auto, Audi max permissable braked trailer towing weight = 1800 kg, towsure kerbside weight = 1490 kg, actual kerbside weight = 1618 kg. caravan Bailey Senator Indiana MPTPL = 1500 kg

So the "matches" are as follows;

Towsure 100.67%

Actual 92.00%

Max permissable 120.00%

Towsure stated KSW is based on a 1.6 litre manual estate BASE model as supplied in Germany!

So you see that legally I could tow a caravan (or a braked trailer) up to 1800 kg, not that I'd want to mind you!

My advice would be, as soon as you get your new car (with the towbar fitted) take it to the nearest public weigh bridge, get it weighed to get an accurate kerbside weight, don't forget to get the weight certificate) then work out what your oufit match is: MPTPL X 100 / kerbside weight, then decide if you'd feel comfortable with the match.

BTW, my outfit tows like a dream.

GeorgeB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts