Bailey Pegasus

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Hi Tom , I know what you mean about the plastic in old cars , but the car industry listened to there customers and now plastics in cars is softer and more tactile.

It would take much to put dye in the fiberglass resume to change the coloure of the walls, one step futher offer customers a choice off coloures and charge a little bit more. Mr Ford said you could have any coloure as long as it's black until other manufactures made cars in other coloures he soon changed is tune !

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had to call at my local Bailey dealership which was awash with the new Pegasus range. I soon got talking to a lovely couple who were obvious rally enthusiasts (they did try to press-gang me to join, but I resisted -it's just not for me!).

However, we were looking around the new range and to say I was unimpressed, was an understatement. Not with the design (I really like the contemporary fabric option) or the 2 tone locker doors (very nice), but the really shoddy build quality.

The side walls were rippled and dented and inside, there was trim hanging of all over the place. If Bailey are trying to change the way we think about the build of caravans, then I'm afraid they are going to have to get their act together to convince me.

I will not part with

I too was a wee bit disappointed with the build quality; the couple of vans I looked at had glue protruding over the gray splash back onto the white walls, the whole length of the kitchen area. The other item I didn't like was that bottom of the window surround was held in place with double sided sticky tape, I know because it was falling off the demonstrator! As it has been said that the 10 yr warranty covers water ingress not bits falling off! Which is a shame as there are aspects to the van I really like?

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to paper the walls or paint them, you can get lovely effects with lighting.

Really can't see the problems with the Pegasus walls, and staying in one they're a lot more practical then the older style vans have.

Remember when everyone complained about plastic dashboards in cars instead of good old wood and metal?

Tom
Agree with you entirely Tom and I own a 624 Twin and am very happy with it!

Barry

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Was away in my Pegasus 554 at the same time (not so far north but still very cold) the on-board heating system more than adequate to keep us toasty warm and no frozen pipes

Steve G
Same with me in 624 Twin - no problems - very warm - only a very icy site to walk over!

Barry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The bailey pegasus is badly designed and I think it will cause a lot of problems for owners. You will probably find that after a few years if you go back bailey will find someway to say you haven't looked after the van properly, its bad enough at present with car and caravan warranties but I can imagine the excuses you will get after 8 years or so. All this and the fact it really does just look hideous, i thought this from the pictures but I saw one at my dealer the other day and my god its ugly also very badly finished the exterior gives the impression of a very cheap van ie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi

been in a bailey pegasus for the first time today,and it will be my last,whats everyone goin on about.the one we went in was the one with the walk in end bathroom across the back,who the hell designed that,lol he wants the sack.washbasin,as you stand to get wash your face front on,you cant bend over to the basin as you hit your rear on the wall behind stoppin you from bending over.you actually have to get washed from the side of the bowl___hilarious design.ands it not that well made either for the price.lookin at the baileys they all look plasticy to me,definately would not buy a pegasus no matter if they were bombroof as well as ultimately waterproof(which personnally i dont think they will be 100% lookin at the shell).

This is to the people who have a Pegasus (only saying that because they might know more than others).I read on an other forum that you can pump water from the external water tank (aquaroll) to the onboard water tank,is this the case or what?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
This is to the people who have a Pegasus (only saying that because they might know more than others).I read on an other forum that you can pump water from the external water tank (aquaroll) to the onboard water tank,is this the case or what?
hi

picked up our new pegasus last weekend! so far very pleased with it but havent taken it away yet. answer to question. you dont need to pump water from one to the other because there is a switching thing under one of the bed boxes which allows you to choose which tank you take water from. so if one runs out you simply push the handle thing round to the other one. simples! hope this helps.

Hi Lesley, congratulations on your new van, what one did you get? I am looking at the 514.Your answer didn't really help as I know how that bit works, but thanks for replying ,on my Arizona its even easier to change from onboard to external, I just flick a switch on the wall.

The reason was asking if the water could be pumped from external to internal was to save filling the internal water then lifting it into place.(just me being lazy)

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lesley, congratulations on your new van, what one did you get? I am looking at the 514.Your answer didn't really help as I know how that bit works, but thanks for replying ,on my Arizona its even easier to change from onboard to external, I just flick a switch on the wall.

The reason was asking if the water could be pumped from external to internal was to save filling the internal water then lifting it into place.(just me being lazy)
hi scott

we have got the 534. never had a fixed bed before, oh the luxury! no it cannot be pumped from one to the other. we asked the dealer when we picked it up because hubby wondered. but he said you have to take it out, fill it up and lift it back into place. here is the actual wording from the bailey owners manual: "the tank in intended to supplement an external water source or as an alternative in very cold weather. the external water source cannot be used to fill the tank".

hi scott

we have got the 534. never had a fixed bed before, oh the luxury! no it cannot be pumped from one to the other. we asked the dealer when we picked it up because hubby wondered. but he said you have to take it out, fill it up and lift it back into place. here is the actual wording from the bailey owners manual: "the tank in intended to supplement an external water source or as an alternative in very cold weather. the external water source cannot be used to fill the tank".
Hi Lesley,thanks very much for the info,enjoy your fab new van.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
What made you decide (against your previous judgement.....) that the Pegasus was a good buy? It's hardly stood the test of time yet - and any problems will only come to light after a reasonable period of on the road testing - which I bet many haven't had yet.

Many people might keep their money in their pockets for a bit longer yet!

We're quite happy at the moment, sticking with our ten year old not damp at all, and beautiful Swift - especially with it's new accessory of a motor mover!

Gone and done it! Ordered a 514 today, due to get it in 4 wks. As people know I did say that I wouldn't buy one, my problems with the van were no gas change over ( dealer is take the change over gauge from my Arizona and putting in the Pegasus FOC) the White Walls on the 514 seem to go for miles ( the other models are not as bad) to break up the whiteness we ordered the newspaper rack that hangs on the wall( it comes free on the olympus, go figure).

My other reckoning is if the Pegasus and the Olympus don't stand up to touring Bailey would go out off buisness as the company look like building all thier vans way.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
There is much to be said for letting them sort out the teething troubles though,a 'revised' model next year is not going to help the value of yours but good luck with it anyway

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Scott

Don't worry we bought a 524 and we are very pleased.

O/K we haven't used it massively yet but it's a nice solid van, tows really well and feels really spacious.

You'll find the white(more ivory) walls are no problem, in fact at nighe with lighting it's a really nice place to be.

I am a person who usually waits for products to be tried and tested, but we don't regret buying the Peg one jot.

In fact we bought a Sedona and opted for the post 06 updated model which addressed all the earlier cars issues.

Guess what the auto box on the newer model has issues but only when towing! The earlier model apparently doesn't, so there's a lesson for you.

Anyway I'm sure you'll really enjoy the new van, even with the wet blankets around.

By the way the big window sill is brilliant especially when lounging with a cuppa.

All the best Scott and happy caravanning.

Tom

TRENDING THREADS