Bailey Pegasus

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Oh b....r! Forgot all about that. How remiss of Bailey to forget to put one on the other side! Two screws, perhaps, through the nice shiny new waterproof panels???:) or a coupld of very long straps going right around the van?????!!!?????

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
Wow what a blast from the past-front sheets attched to caravans to stop stone damage more than anything! This was an idea which began in the late 50's and into the 60's. Then Astral caravans had a bright idea-to help cut down stone damage we will add a stucco thick gauge unpainted aluminium panel and call it-err a stone guard! That was in 1965/66 The following year most caravan makers fitted one, some going right up past the front window-then it sort of went out of fashion around 85. Dont think I fancy towing my van Ranger around with a sheet in front. If you keep the front panel well polished up - including windows, then insects come off easy, and my ABS panel hasnt been damaged

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
That answers our question - were we just unlucky and the model in our local dealers, White Arches, was just a badly finished one! We were very interested in all that was being trailed about this new concept in caravan build so when we were able to go and see it we were very disappointed at the inside both in design and finish. We notced all that you said and asked the salesman if this was a "Friday" model. Its also now becoming clear that there is essential work such as the re-tensioning of the bolts to the roof and side. The island bed which had intrigued us, yes you can get round it at night, but only if you do a one foot in front of the other shuffle and your other half's feet arent overhanging the end of the bed! We really thought we had seen our next caravan but unless Bailey make the inside look less of a thrown together job, sadly it wont be. The length of the van is obviously to make it available to those of us who dont or cant tow a twin axle, so inveitabkly the inches have to decrease somewhere, but the bath room is a very tight squeeze and the island bed model bathroom has a wonderful design fault - open top wall cupboard or the door in, not both as the distance between then means a nasty grinding collision of the cupboard and bathroom door!!

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Unless of course the bolts are behind the one piece shower unit?

We are still waiting for Bailey to come back to us with an answer,the dealers dont seem to know,or do Baileys not know either?
Hello

Pegasus has a fixed price service plan for the first three years of ownership after which it reverts to a standard service programme on the service centre's normal price tariff.

The programme is therefore as follows:-

Year 1: Standard caravan service @

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Baileys have replied ref the tightening up of the bolts behind the shower unit and the answer is they will only tighten accessable bolts meaning they will not be tightened.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Maybe you will be able to have a shower without turning on the water! At least it will run through the plastic body and not do any damage - although what's the floor made of????

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
The bailey pegasus is badly designed and I think it will cause a lot of problems for owners. You will probably find that after a few years if you go back bailey will find someway to say you haven't looked after the van properly, its bad enough at present with car and caravan warranties but I can imagine the excuses you will get after 8 years or so. All this and the fact it really does just look hideous, i thought this from the pictures but I saw one at my dealer the other day and my god its ugly also very badly finished the exterior gives the impression of a very cheap van ie

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry - as the original post has now been moderated, I've removed the follow-up reference from Dustydog's posting.

Hi Guys

I have been keeping an eye on all the comments re the Pegasus. When I first saw photos of it and thought yeuch, last week I saw it in the flesh and changed my mind, I think it's a good looking van.The one I am interested in is the 514 (same layout as my Arizona 2002).

Good things

1,LOTS OF HEAD ROOM

2,NICE AND AIRY

3,PULL OUT SEATING (FOR LAZY DAYS)

4,SOFT SHUT DRAWERS

5,NEW TABLE TOP (ON THE CHEST OF DRAWERS)

6,LOADS OF CUPBOARD SPACE

7,SHOWER ROOM VERY USABLE

8,BUILT IN MICRO

Bad/Concerning Things

1,NO GAS CHANGE OVER (MEANT TO BE A SENATOR REPLACEMENT)

2,ONBOARD WATER HAS TO LIFTED INTO POSTION(MEANT TO BE A SENATOR REPLACEMENT)

3,THE ONE PIECE ALUMINIUM FRONT(STONE CHIPS ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE CRATERS)

4,THE WHITE WALLS ON THE INTERIOR (NOT HOMELY OR WARMING)

5,THE BOLTS THAT NEED TO BE CHECKED THAT CANT BE GOT AT(WHY DO THEY NEED TO BE CHECKED,THERE ARE BOLTS ON MY CAR THAT DON'T FALL OFF THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN CHECKED)

I think that is everything

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry - as the original post has now been moderated, I've removed the follow-up reference from Dustydog's posting.

Thanks Mr Mods.

Defamatory statements about individuals who suffer mental illness is a disgrace.

Cheers

Dustydog

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, well we have been reading all the comments about the Baileys Pegasus and we have placed our deposit and the order for the 514. Its going to be our new 1st van and we are really excited are expected delivery date is for March. We went down to our local Go Discover and saw it in the flesh and we really like it.

Its roomy , its unique with the layout options : huge seating area and end washroom, yes its has needs, and servicing. But I will be sitting in a warm van, rather than on my folding chair in the rain just inside my tent door ! and I will be going away this time next year rather than folding my tent away in August!

(eating ginger cake with custard drinking hot chocolate after a stroll on beach! yipee !

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
"5,THE BOLTS THAT NEED TO BE CHECKED THAT CANT BE GOT AT(WHY DO THEY NEED TO BE CHECKED,THERE ARE BOLTS ON MY CAR THAT DON'T FALL OFF THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN CHECKED)"

Bailey have said that they fully expect that the bolts will be fine when they're checked - the retorque is belt and braces at this stage just in case. If the bolts on the rest of the caravan are fine, they won't disturb the ones behind the shower. If the others need nipping up then I think the shower has to come out.

I thin there's a good chance that Bailey will drop the need for the retorque from the service schedule altogether - but we'll need to wait for the first few hundred vans to be done and see whether any were becoming loose.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
According to Bailey they have done exhaustive test on the Pegasus, so why do they need to monitor for a few years before they drop the re-torque, surely the track tests they claim to have done would have made sure the bolts did not need rechecking, after all l don't see many of us taking the our vans over the type of terrain they did on the test track.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
bailey have made a huge PR blunder with this re torque charge, if only they had made this service FREE, then all these negative comments could have been avoided?

At the very lest, any one with half a brain, wouldn't buy one until assured that the construction was proven?

Obviously bailey are NOT sure, them self's, or give that impression.

No bonus for the PR manager!!

On a positive note, on the image i saw of the clamps, the nut was a plastic locknut type, so i don't see this coming loose, but maybe the materials under compression may give, so the assembly will work loose?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My thoughts too Ray, If the nuts do work loose, they should be replaced with fresh self locking nuts, and be free of charge, With regards to the panels failing under compression wondered why the clamps are not positioned over a solid plastic insert within the panel instead of the standard foam.

Royston

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
You speak as if the alternatives were perfect! As someone whose caravan leaked at 2 years old and needed a new roof and rear panel I can assure you they are not. Add in the cost of resealing the awning rails every few years and the costs make the likely costs associated with servicing a pegaus look peanuts.

I'm sure most of the critics are people who simply don't like Bailey and are taking the chance for some cheap shots.

I'm not in the market for a new caravan at the moment, and I'm not particularly a Bailey fan either, but even with all the observations you guys make, I'd put a pegasus at the top of my wish list. No decision in life is ever risk free, but I reckon that Bailey have done pretty much all they can do to derisk the new range. They've used it in the field. They've tried to simulate a hard life on the test track. The one thing they can't do is be 100% sure that time won't be a factor - but you deride them for taking belt and braces attitude to that too!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Cheap shots i dont think so?Im all for new inovation ,other vans have issues too.

All the hype that this is the best touring van ever why?

Its not as good inside as the Senetor and has been said is on par with Pagent.Some of the design features are awful and unusable,front lockers and onboard tank for instance.

Its being sold on the 10 year water ingress and thermal capabilties,to keep the ingress up it will need a service for its 10 yr life and at at least

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
timothy

While the existing vans are not perfect, the problems are proven, we know what to look out for, damp being the enemy,in the main.

It would be a mistake to assume that i am anti bailey, i am not anti any caravan maker.

Also now our caravan is reaching old age (2004), we are actively on the look out to replace our BAILEY senator.

Now while i don't mind paying out to by another new van, i need assurance that the product is sound and durable, with LOW running costs, also come trade in the product has to have good retained value.

Otherwise i might well be throwing my hard earned away. As it is now my old van could return

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Robert , I agree with your comments - I went to the NEC show with the intention of replacing my Senator Wyoming with a Senator Carolina , only to be told that they were no longer making that model.

There is a similiar layout in a shorter twin axle pegasus , however that was not i was after.

The rear top mouldings look cheap with visible screws , some parts make it look like a flash burger van.

Looks like i might have to go for a different make after years of owning Baileys !!
andy ring bailey and ask them who has a carolina still in stock. have you tried chipping sodbury. great deals off them and they dont charge you delivery charge.

jo

TRENDING THREADS