Bailey Pegasus

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Just been caravanning over Christmas and New Year in Perthshire in my Arizona, we took up an extra heater (3 bar halogen) .With this we were toasty hot. The only problem was that the internal water froze (hot & cold)also the waste outlet froze, unless the Pegasus has lagged internal and external pipes lagged what is the point of these extra thick walls?

The temperature most nights was around minus 14.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
proberly where it enters and exits the van ,i saw a sneak preview off pegasus on test 2008 i worked qat millbrook test site .the caravan on test was just a shell no doors or windows or any internals.the shell is no doubt strong but dose not make the whole van outstanding.So apart from the outer shells fixings there is just a bailey,theshell is just the same as a refrigerated van /lorry body.

Hi guys, the caravan heat was on also, but I don't use the blown air in really cold weather as temperature is dissipated, but yes it was on full heat.

The water pipes froze mainly were the outside water would come into the van (I was using onboard water) this is next to the water heater under a seat. The hot air from the water heater was not enough to stop the water from freezing. What also didn't help that the idiot who designed the caravan led the water from the onboard tank over an outside air vent under the bench seat, thus the water pipe might as well have been outside!

The waste water froze half way along the pipe Frome the kitchen sink to the outlet, also the bathroom sink did the same .the only way to fix this was to get under the van (with 10 inches of snow on the ground and minus 8 during the day) and pull the pipes apart at the flexible join and let the water run away onto the ground underneath the van onto the hard standing.

The joys of winter caravanning...lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Scott,

I strongly suggest that you report your difficulties to your supplier, and to Bailey direct.

If the water pipework has been laid across an open vent than that is a design issue. I hope Bailey will respond with a mod to keep the pipe work away from the vent, and review any other cold weather issues with the caravan, after all they have made quite a big thing of the better insulated walls, so clearly they are expecting to sell the caravan for winter usage.

Hi John that was the point I was trying to make.whats the big deal about thick walls when the water still freezes inside the van and outside?

I know vans need air vents but at least insulate all water pipes inside and out.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
scott

absolutely agree, while ever gas vents are present, it makes a mockery of insulation claims, rather like having the loft and cavity insulated, then opening a window?

Short of an electric only caravan, the heating will have to work harder, in your case not hard enough.

Maybe trace heating, and insulation is your answer?

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robert , I agree with your comments - I went to the NEC show with the intention of replacing my Senator Wyoming with a Senator Carolina , only to be told that they were no longer making that model.

There is a similiar layout in a shorter twin axle pegasus , however that was not i was after.

The rear top mouldings look cheap with visible screws , some parts make it look like a flash burger van.

Looks like i might have to go for a different make after years of owning Baileys !!
I could not find a Carolina - so going to stick with my Wyoming for another year to see what else Bailey bring out

Andy

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Got a bit lost here somewhere, when your Arizona froze up how did this apply to a 'thicker walled' Pegasus or has someone had a Pegasus freeze up?

We've just taken a Pegasus away between Christmas and New Year and admittedly it didn't drop below -8 but had no trouble at all.

Used the blown air heating as we did in the previous Burgundy but we don't like it too hot so kept it nice, according to the blurb gas mark 4 is around 70, we had it at about 2.5-3.

The aquarol and pipe were insulated and kept going o/k.

Have caravanned colder in the Burgundy but except for Aquarol supply freezing up didn't have internal problems at all.

Tom

As for the waste pipe how fast were they freezing up, as if they evacuated pretty quickly to the waste tank what water was there to freeze?

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Got a bit lost here somewhere, when your Arizona froze up how did this apply to a 'thicker walled' Pegasus or has someone had a Pegasus freeze up?

We've just taken a Pegasus away between Christmas and New Year and admittedly it didn't drop below -8 but had no trouble at all.

Used the blown air heating as we did in the previous Burgundy but we don't like it too hot so kept it nice, according to the blurb gas mark 4 is around 70, we had it at about 2.5-3.

The aquarol and pipe were insulated and kept going o/k.

Have caravanned colder in the Burgundy but except for Aquarol supply freezing up didn't have internal problems at all.

Tom

As for the waste pipe how fast were they freezing up, as if they evacuated pretty quickly to the waste tank what water was there to freeze?
I have followed the above comments and like Tom have just spent 7 cold days and nights in the Midlands immediately after Christmas in our New Pegasus 624 Twin Axle. Like my previous Twin Axel vans including the 2008 Wyoming I swapped for the Pegasus the van towed like a dream. Arrived on site to be greeted with very icy pitches and temp throughout the stay was below freezing.

Yes, we miss the Laundry Box and have mentioned this to Bailey already. Optional cabinet is far stronger and is easier to use the the previous fold back one; Shower pressure is stronger as seems to be the default hot water temp; even more cupboard space; Van excellent - had to turn heating down at night; lounging far more comfortable; bed very comfortable; this jury is still out on the removeable in board tank; Front lockers not as bad as thought and soon got used to a way of storing blocks etc. (use the nearside for blocks, as access not needed after siting when awning flap is in place); no freezing of exetrnal plunbing but as Tom said, had to take Aqua rolls in at night and even they froze one night in the awning.

I could go on but most points of interest have been covered earlier by other commentators but I have to say I am very happy with this caravan.

Yes, I thought long and hard as some of you have and whilst there is always a risk don't lose sight of the extensive testing this van was subjected to at Millbrook! It took far more punishment in a very short time than most in a lifetime.

Very few comments here have been of a positive nature so far but I hope some of mine may lead the doubters to reconsider.

The answer is to wait and see if you have doubts but lets not be too critical of a company who have put their money where their mouth is!

In over 25 years towing I have had damp problems in the past and hope this will not be the case in the future but some will say it is too early to know but as I have already said to Bailey as a satisfied customer, for them at least "The Future is bright - The Future is Pegasus!"

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Sorry about this dunb question,its too the people who have a Pegasus.

Does the van have a gas regulator that switches between the empty bottle of gas to the full bottle automatically?
Hi Scott,

Its the same as the other Baileys,propane/butane 30mb gas

regulator,which you move from one bottle to the other.

FrankE

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Just been caravanning over Christmas and New Year in Perthshire in my Arizona, we took up an extra heater (3 bar halogen) .With this we were toasty hot. The only problem was that the internal water froze (hot & cold)also the waste outlet froze, unless the Pegasus has lagged internal and external pipes lagged what is the point of these extra thick walls?

The temperature most nights was around minus 14.
Was away in my Pegasus 554 at the same time (not so far north but still very cold) the on-board heating system more than adequate to keep us toasty warm and no frozen pipes

Steve G

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
We were invited to our local dealer last weekend to view the Pegasus range. We currently have a five birth Ace which allows us to leave the back dinner made up as a double as there are only the two of us.

We went specificaly to look at the 554 which has the retractable island bed. Having seen pictures on the internet I thought it looked pretty impressive.

My wife stepped in the van first whilst I stood outside drinking the dealers complimetary hot chocolate. She quickly came out and said,"i don,t like it". Wanting to see it myself before looking at the rest of the range I stepped into the van along side another 3 couples.

I have to say her in doors had a point.The layout whilst looking good on paper, did not live up to it in the flesh. Whilst the island bed seems like a good idea, it does leave a very tight space to get around. Whilst I could have probably got used to that, the bathroom was a real let down. Being of the verticaly stretched position (6 foot 4), I found the bathroom very cramped and I could see me not using the facilitate but instead going for a walk to the on sight facilities.The position of the locker/shelving left myself and another caravaner banging our heads when trying to bend down at the sink.Having bought several vans from our dealer we have a good relationship with him and are on first names terms. He asked us what we thought of the van .I told him it was a bit of a lame duck. I also told him that the other two couples viewing the van had similar dissapointing views. He pretty much summened up my thoughts around the design on paper versus actual build.My gut feeling is that this model will not be very popular as I think they have tried to put too much into the design.

That said we looked at the other 4 berth fixed bed (sorry can,t remeber model number) which was much better.However bathroom and living space not great(as is the case with most single axle fixed bed vans)

Whilst we where there we also stepped into the two berth which I think is the 462.This van is a great van with loads of living space. The seating area provides shed loads of room and the pull out day bed facility is great for a short snooze.As to storage space the 462 provides shed loads.The bathroom is impressive with the new style walk in shower even accomodating my huge frame.

As to some of the other comments left on the forum, I too noticed that the front locker does only give space for the two gas bottles. I actualy think this is good as it stops us filling the front end up with unecessary rubbish which just adds weight to the front end. The side lockers are a little stiff to open but I do think the design is better than the current locker doors in use.I am sure the catches will ease off as they bed in.

I asked the dealer about the awning rail issue. He said thay had read some concerns raised in one of the caravan magazines. The local dealership invited all the main awning manaufacturers in to test their products on the new awning rail. There where no problems with any of them.

Having looked at the Baily Pegasus, the concept and design is great although we did not like the whole range.

Having weighed up the pro,s and cons of a fixed bed versus not, we have decided to go back to a two berth as we value the additional living space and better bathroom over the fixed bed option.There is a real difference in towing weight too.We are pretty much set on the Pegasus 462 and will be looking seriously at this the not too distant future.I am holding back for a short period to see if and how the competion responds.

Like you dexterlevi I dont like the whole range,my wife is trying to talk me into getting the 415 (same layout as my Arizona).I had some issues things like no gas regulator to change from one bottle to other, onboard water tank being nearly 10 ltr smaller than what I have.The water issue I can life with,the gas regulator can be retro fitted so thats ok , but my BIG bug bear is the white internal walls! on the 514 there seams to be acres of white bloody walls!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
There is plenty of plastic inside our cars, the cheap cars have cheap hard plastics, the audis have better plastics, to both look at and touch.

i think all bailey needs to do is some how, convert the visual image to something more pleasing to the eye.

and on the outside make that silly looking bottle box lid, blend in with the rest of the caravan, its not exactly a status symbol is it?

Perhaps make it a huge bailey badge? perhaps not.

I do think the side image of the new olympus looks good.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
You don't need to paper the walls or paint them, you can get lovely effects with lighting.

Really can't see the problems with the Pegasus walls, and staying in one they're a lot more practical then the older style vans have.

Remember when everyone complained about plastic dashboards in cars instead of good old wood and metal?

Tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts