Bailey ranger 380/2 year 2000 advice

May 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi fellow travellers!

I recently bought a largely untested, but dry BaileyRanger 380/2. It’s 22 years old, Cris registered but a bit neglected for the last few years of its life.
We have just been cleaning it, learning how to work everything and getting to know it before we take it on its first outing this week.
I ended up having to rewire the incoming connection to the consumer unit as the plug at the back of the unit was arcing and generating heat, it really smelled of electrical burning and could potentially have caused a fire!
I could see it was a real hazard! (I am an electrician) so I solved that problem by bypassing the plug and socket and wiring the incoming cable directly to the RCD and earth bar.
Once we then learned how the water heater and blow heating system as well as the 12v lighting etc worked I then got to cleaning the “barnacles” off the roof!
whilst washing it, using just a brush, hot water, detergent and a hosepipe it became clear that water was able to get in at the top of the door when the hose was directed at it!
I also noticed the door seemed like it may have dropped a bit as it needed a tiny lift up to engage properly with the catch that holds it open.
I was wondering, do caravan doors have a tendency to drop a bit with time and wear&tear?
Has anyone had to adjust the screws on the hinges to achieve a better”fit” in the door hole?
I’m guessing the only way of finding out weather I can achieve a better seal is to adjust it and then squirt water at it to see if there is any improvement?
Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks
Bryan

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
There is a useful short discussion on the CAMC forum entitled ‘Dropped door’from feb 2016 if you can access it. Apparently you can adjust the hinges on the door but not the frame taking care to support the door so it doesn’t drop further when the hinges are loose. Not something I have needed to do but googled ‘How to adjust the door on a Bailey caravan’ and it was in the list

Reactions: Astr0dude
May 24, 2022
Visit site
There is a useful short discussion on the CAMC forum entitled ‘Dropped door’from feb 2016 if you can access it. Apparently you can adjust the hinges on the door but not the frame taking care to support the door so it doesn’t drop further when the hinges are loose. Not something I have needed to do but googled ‘How to adjust the door on a Bailey caravan’ and it was in the list
Thanks for the reply 😊

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Being as caravans are built to be light doors etc will definitely be subject to a bit of a drop,cupboards possibly too. Or hinges coming out entirely. Or cupboard doors falling apart or......I could go on

Reactions: Astr0dude

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts